17' Boler Black Water Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 17 ft
We just completed a 7200 mile journey towing our 1978 Boler 17' behind our Chevy Astro Van. We drove from Vancouver, BC to Shediac, NB via Palm Springs, CA, South Padre Island, TX and Daytona Beach Florida.

We were in 22 states and the trip went flawlessly except for in South Carolina. While on the I-95 we were being passed by a tractor trailer that blew a tire. Huge chunks of rubber went everywhere and one damaged the plumbing under our trailer.

At first I thought all that was lost was the grey water pipe from tank to valve. On further inspection I realize that the Black Water tank has been damaged probably beyond repair. The threaded part the dump pipe screws into on the bottom of the tank has seperated from the tank. After some considerable effort I have removed the black water tank from the trailer. Where do I get a new one? I would prefer new as I never want to have to remove one again.

Does anyone know who made these tanks? Do they still make tanks? Do other trailers use the identical tank?

Thanks if you can help

Dwight
Dwight Burditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Can you post a picture and dimentions of your tank?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I guess I should be glad the black water tank to my Scamp is inside. Maybe something in this link from the Helpful-Links will help? Water Tanks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
I guess I should be glad the black water tank to my Scamp is inside. Maybe something in this link from the Helpful-Links will help? Water Tanks

You would think that is a good thing until you have a problem with the tank. The truck tire exploded with such force that huge pieces of rubber were blown into our lane just feet in front of us. They struck the front of the van, some flew over the van and struck the trailer, and some we ran over. One of the pieces must have struck the dump valve plumbing on the Boler. The Boler tank was inside too, like the Scamp. The force of the impact was such that it pushed the drain pipe back far enough to break the tank where the threaded part is plastic welded to the tank. Then we had to get the tank out of the trailer. It required major surgery to accomplish this. Thankfully my father in law is a carpenter. I could never have gotten the tank out by myself, without his professional help. Getting a new tank back in will be relatively easy, but we have to find a new tank first.

Thanks for your links. I have used them to try and source a new tank.

A freind of mine, another Bolerite told me that Polyrama in Edmonton was the original manufacturer of Boler tanks. I contacted them and they did make Boler freshwater tanks but not the blackwater tanks. They don't know who did. Does anyone?

PS If anyone needs a new freshwater tank for their Boler, Polyrama Plastics in Edmonton has them in stock.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Can you post a picture and dimentions of your tank?

-- Dan Meyer
The dimensions of the tank are 34.75" x 21.5" X 5.25 inches thick at its thickest, tapering to 4"
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
You might be able to get a new fitting spin welded onto that one.

I bought tanks from Shirlon, and had no issues, I bought the closest to what I had, and made it fit.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
You might be able to get a new fitting spin welded onto that one.

I bought tanks from Shirlon, and had no issues, I bought the closest to what I had, and made it fit.

Thanks Joe

We think you're right. There seems to be no other way to go. Our tank is alright it is just the fitting. We live in a small town where there are some expert plastic welders that work for the fish plants. I'm sure we will get it fixed somehow. I would have liked to have gone with new but I'll do what I can in the end.

It is surprising that there does not seem to be anyone that worked in the Boler Factory that we can all talk to. Where have they all gone? There must be someone out there that was in the production process that would be wealth of invaluable information to those of us that are trying to keep these old trailers on the road. There is someone somewhere that knows who built the tank I need.

db

Tags
boler