1971 Boler bunkbed... need help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '71 Boler
Texas
1971 Boler bunkbed... need help

Hi all, I just got a 1971 13' Boler that needs work and I am new to this stuff... It is missing one of the upright poles that supports the upper bunk and there is a fiberglass lip that comes out of the wall a 3-5 inches under the window and a piece of mdf was glued on there and the hinges for the upper bunk/back of couch was attached. (sorry I don't have pics) My problem is that the fiberglass lip has a pretty good downward bend to it. How do I fix this or do I even need to?

I have removed the MDF and plan on putting a piece of 3/4" plywood (same that i am going to use for the board of the beds) and attach 4 simple hinges. I am looking for suggestions from those who have replaced this stuff.
TIA!

Kyle
DrKyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That ledge under the window carries much of the weight of the bunk and anyone on it, so i would want it to be strong. I believe on my Scamp it is epoxied to the outer shell, encased in fiberglass, and covered in rat fur. I am going by my memory of what others have posted- I haven't taken mine apart.

In your case, I would be inclined to make several custom-fitted, wedge-shaped brackets (sort of like buttresses) under the ledge to add strength.

Four hinges seem like overkill, since the ledge, not the hinges, carries the weight.

This thread has some details and close-up photos of the Scamp bunk set-up (see post #4). I think a Boler is pretty similar. It might be of some help.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-72253.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Texas
Cool thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
So you need a source for the bunk pole too? I have seen an ad, but it is local so not sure they would ship to you. And yes I would have wanted to put on a new ledge too and fiberglass it in. The bunk is, if I recall accurately, only rated for a weight of about 80 lbs.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
One nice improvement over the stock set-up I have seen (in addition to extra bracing on the ledge) is this: recess a t-nut on the bottom of the bunk platform and put a wing bolt through the pole loop instead of the simple screw catch.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

Texas
Great ideas... I found Scamp trailer store who ships to TX. I ordered door seal, a few curtain rod holders to match missing ones and the door hinge kit for starters.

Am thinking of PVC pipe for with a T for the bunk posts and add a 90 at the top to run a "safety" rail on the top bunk... has anyone tried this? Might need a dowl rod inside for structure support. I don't plan on putting anything really heavy on the top bunk but don't want it to fall either.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
The Scamp store also has the bunk posts. Not sure if I understood you correctly, but I would want the main support part of the bunk posts to be steel, not PVC, if a human being is ever going to sleep there. PVC works for the safety rail, and I did what you suggest about a dowel inside. You can see the details in the link in post #2.

May be too late, but there is a member here who sells a higher-quality hinge rebuild kit. Here's a link: Stainless Steel Boler Scamp Door Hinge Repair Kit

When dealing with Scamp, I recommend placing your order by phone, not the internet. The website doesn't bundle small items for a reduced shipping rate.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used a piece of baltic birch plywood about 6' high and the width of the top bunk. I then hinged it in the middle. To attach it, I uses some heavy gas pipe that coincidentally fits just into the bunk poles. I then used some pipe clamps to attach to the wood. The metal is painted to match other things in the trailer. It held all kinds of things on the top bunk during transport. I can find a pic later if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKyle1 View Post
Great ideas... I found Scamp trailer store who ships to TX. I ordered door seal, a few curtain rod holders to match missing ones and the door hinge kit for starters.

Am thinking of PVC pipe for with a T for the bunk posts and add a 90 at the top to run a "safety" rail on the top bunk... has anyone tried this? Might need a dowl rod inside for structure support. I don't plan on putting anything really heavy on the top bunk but don't want it to fall either.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler