1971 Trillium Rear Window Cracked...help me... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Paul Richter's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 100
Registry
Thumbs up

Hi there, I have a small crack in rear window in my "1971 Trillium". I was wondering where to purchase either a new one or a used one, as well as the window seals for both front or back(new). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone change from the type that I have, to ones that open & close...not sure if this is possible?
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01733_Medium_Web_view.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Paul "The Nascar Rig"

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Booker B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 983
Hi Paul,

I thought that the 1971 model had opening rear windows. Can you tell if yours is original?

You can replace the window but it may be difficult to find one with the exact size as yours.
__________________

__________________
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Paul Richter's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 100
Registry
Quote:
Hi Paul,

I thought that the 1971 model had opening rear windows. Can you tell if yours is original?

You can replace the window but it may be difficult to find one with the exact size as yours.
I think it is original. I'm going to take a better look (take some of the insulation off) to get the exact size to fine a replacement window either same at I presently have or an upgrade.
__________________
Paul "The Nascar Rig"

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
The rubber seal and accompanying lock-strip are available from Scamp, as well as from various commercial outlets (I think they're used on things like school buses). If it's anything like a Boler/clone, the actual window is plastic.

I would guess that that window is original, because the corners are radiused. If the later Hehr jalousies had been in there, the corners would be squared off. Did you notice the new member with a 1972 Trillium? That trailer's front window is just like this one, so my guess would be that they started making Trills with both the front and rear window like this one, and then the rear window switched over to the framed style, followed by the front one.

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Alistair Camelford's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Posts: 265
Any auto glass place can do it. Each louvre is set in with common rubber seal and the frame is held with two screws. The glass is just plain window glass. Takes about 20 minutes to replace. I've done two of 'em!
Alistair
__________________
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Alistair Camelford's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Posts: 265
Oooops I shoulda read more carefully. I just posted on how to replace a panel on the rear jalousie...which 71's and some'72's dont have.
Panels of Lexan are obtainable at glass & window companies. They custom cut. Lexan is unbreakable but can be cut and shaped to fit. Your old window would be the template. Also look for "Plastic Welding" in the yellow pages or Kijiji I suspect your window is "Perspex" or similar and could be repaired and polished.
Me...I'd go for the Lexan. Especially for the front if you have no gravel guard.
Good luck with the repair.
FWIW, I almost bought an early Trill at an auction two years back...serial # 600 or thereabouts, but it looked like a LOT of work to restore. Yours looks awesome
Cheers from "down the 401"
Alistair
__________________
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Paul Richter's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 100
Registry
Quote:
Oooops I shoulda read more carefully. I just posted on how to replace a panel on the rear jalousie...which 71's and some'72's dont have.
Panels of Lexan are obtainable at glass & window companies. They custom cut. Lexan is unbreakable but can be cut and shaped to fit. Your old window would be the template. Also look for "Plastic Welding" in the yellow pages or Kijiji I suspect your window is "Perspex" or similar and could be repaired and polished.
Me...I'd go for the Lexan. Especially for the front if you have no gravel guard.
Good luck with the repair.
FWIW, I almost bought an early Trill at an auction two years back...serial # 600 or thereabouts, but it looked like a LOT of work to restore. Yours looks awesome
Cheers from "down the 401"
Alistair
Thanks for the info.. I think I'll go towards the new lexan for both front & rear. I work with lexan at work for guarding & it is breakable if it's hit hard enough & at the right place but it'll be the best bet.
__________________
Paul "The Nascar Rig"

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
You might consider acrylic (i.e. Plexiglass) instead of polycarbonate (i.e. Lexan). Yes, Lexan is "bulletproof," but acrylic is (in my opinion) tough enough, and it's not prone to yellowing (in UV) or scratching as much as polycarbonate. There are grades/types of acrylic that are tougher than the basic stuff as well.

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Paul Richter's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 100
Registry
Quote:
You might consider acrylic (i.e. Plexiglass) instead of polycarbonate (i.e. Lexan). Yes, Lexan is "bulletproof," but acrylic is (in my opinion) tough enough, and it's not prone to yellowing (in UV) or scratching as much as polycarbonate. There are grades/types of acrylic that are tougher than the basic stuff as well.

Raya
When I go to the "Auto glass" place I'll check & see what the options are & make my suggestions to them as well. Thanks for everyone's suggestions any more are always
welcome...don't be shy
__________________

__________________
Paul "The Nascar Rig"

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: 1984 Trillium Rear Emergency Window Jessie, K Classified Archives 0 05-31-2010 09:22 PM
Replacing rear window Sandra Lair Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-08-2010 09:27 AM
Front (or rear) window AC? Bobbie Mayer Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 08-06-2007 12:06 PM
Trillium Rear Window Missing David Schroeder Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 03-17-2007 02:30 PM
Cracked Window Gerry Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 11-06-2006 06:50 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.