1973 Boler Fridge Diagram? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler
Hi,

I've had a 1973 Boler for about a year now and have camped a couple times. I have been having problems with the fridge.

The first trip was a week long one and all worked fine.

The second trip was a weekender and the stove area had a strong gas smell when the fridge was on. We turned it off and it slowly left the trailer.

We gave it to an RV outfit and they replaced the stove thinking that it was leaking when we turned on the propane system to supply the fridge. (the new stove is nice SS and the old green one is in storage)

The third time was another week long trip and the problem returned. That trip we had a Trillium owner with us and through diagnosis we discovered that it was probably a leak in the sealing behind the fridge and un-burnt propane in the exhaust was what we smelt making its way into the cabin.

We returned it to the RV place and they found that the gas nozzle was modified with a 2nd hole so they sealed it off to what was original (hopefully waste less gas) and they also sealed the fridge back from the cabin with new caulking.

I have not used it since but it looks like they mucked with other stuff too. There is a long thick copper wire or tube (1/8" or so) that is all crumpled into a ball and stuffed in there that I do not remember being like that. I should also test the darned fridge to see if they fixed it.

But anyways, does anyone have a diagram or what it should look like or a nice clear photo of it? I am going to fix it myself this time and clean up the re-install that they did.
Rudy_Z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Randy, how about some specifics. Like brand and model of refrigerator, brand and model of stove and maybe perhaps brand and model of furnace. The three biggys of propane use in these molded lightweight fiberglassRVs. With this info, we can address one at a time. BTW each appliance should be vented to the outside with either a vented access door or modified vent... like the Suburban furnace vents.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler
A photo is worth a 1000 words...

I also have no furnace and the stove is 100%.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763s.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	13192

I posted the history to help but I really want to know what that crumpled up copper wire or tube is for and what it should look like.
Rudy_Z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Looking at your pic the long thin silver wire or copper color is a pre charged capilary tube, it will attach to the diaphram assembly of the temp control switch, the other side of the tube will be placed so as to sense the evaporator coil temp "the cold part of the fridge" or in some models the temp of the cold section heat sink or cold plate. A pic of the inside of the cold coil will help me track your model number. The capilary tube cannot be kinked, gently coil or loop it in an orderly manner in a coil aprox 3" then by superimposing the coils together so they look like a looped round bundle zippy tie cord them together...I take a wire harnes protector "plastic coil type" and encase the tube gently then zip it in place so it cannot wiggle around...The problem with this wiggle situation is that in travel the cap tube can vibrate or rub against something and wear a hole in the soft aluminum its made of allowing the pre calibrated factory gas mix held inside the tube to excape...The temp switch then will stop controling the temp and it will need to be replaced...this is a mechanicaly operated eletrical control, what you have is a generic replacement with more cap than you need because its a small refrigerator, this switch is also used on the big ones and needs to be that long in different applications...coil it gently without kinking it and take a breath.

Peace

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, fridge