1973 Compact Junior Renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Barb Egeland

Hello All!

I have inherited a 1973 Compact Junior from my Grandparents that is in excellent condition. The fiberglass pop top does need replacing as well as the liner. I have a local awning company that would be willing to help me with the liner but I don't know what direction to take in finding someone to help me with the fiberglass top replacement. Ideas?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What's wrong with the top? Cracked to smitherines or missing? Anything fiberglass can be repaired....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer:
Quote:
I don't know what direction to take in finding someone to help me with the fiberglass top replacement. Ideas?
Making a new pop-up roof from scratch would be an excellent project to learn about fiberglass work, if you are practically-inclined. A fiberglass lamination business should have no difficulty in making you a replacement roof, but it wouldn't be cheap as they would have to charge you for a lot of finishing work.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Barb,
I'll chime in here. You can always check with boat repair shops and auto body shops that work on Corvettes to have repair work done on fiberglass. If the top is cracked or leaking, it wouldn't be hard to remove it, flip it over and use fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside to reinforce it. You could also add wood or aluminum strips as braces to stiffen it. Tom Trostel