1974 Boler 1300 Frame removal Suggestions/Help? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Ontario
1974 Boler 1300 Frame removal Suggestions/Help?

Hi Group,

New to the forum. Just purchased at 1974 1300 Boler that is in pretty sad shape. I have been searching high and low for a project Boler but only recently discovered one locally ( Thunder Bay) that was in my price range.

I have discovered that it will have to come off the frame - I watched a couple of short videos on taking them off and I was hoping someone here with experience could offer some step by step pointers, such as were the main bolts that hold the shell to trailer are located and so on.

Also interested in hearing comments concerning replacement of the axle and the pros/con of the leading axle versus the trailer axle

Mine has the typical Boler door sag ( hinges are shot) as well as the separation at the bottom corner of the door - the interior is a disaster (OMG-what have I got myself into..lol)

I have followed this forum with interest as a guest for some time promising myself as soon as I find "My Little Egg" I would join the ranks. Well I found "My Egg" and ready to dive into the restoration project.

I have some pics of my egg and will post them as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance and this sounds like a very tight and informative group.

Looking forward to meeting and talking with many of you.

Ted
TedN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I think I saw that one advertised and was going to have my brother go take a look. You should be able to fix it up nicely.

Just start looking around, you will find the bolts. Probably only 4 of them. Chances are they won't be large bolts and are probably already snapped off. There are probably screws as well, usually in random places. It all depended on who was making the trailer that day at the factory and which factory.

If you decide it needs a new torsion axle (probably) then make sure the new axle has brakes or at least the flanges to install brakes. Mine is an original trailing torsion axle on my 1976. I just figured out (after 8 years) that one side is slightly bent so that the tire "toes out" a bit. Otherwise it has lots of suspension left and I have had no problems with it tracking behind the tow vehicle. I just have to keep an eye on the tire wear on the one side. I may take the shell off next year to have a look and get it straightened.

You have probably already seen this video for taking it off the frame

RiverportRovers's Channel - YouTube

and here is my YouTube channel if you are looking for ideas.

kevinhenry61's Channel - YouTube

Have fun
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
New bolts and balls helped our door but still have to remove and realign in future for door sag. Can not help with axle, but trailing arm setup works better on bumps from past trailers that we have had.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
I think I saw that one advertised and was going to have my brother go take a look. You should be able to fix it up nicely.

Just start looking around, you will find the bolts. Probably only 4 of them. Chances are they won't be large bolts and are probably already snapped off. There are probably screws as well, usually in random places. It all depended on who was making the trailer that day at the factory and which factory.

If you decide it needs a new torsion axle (probably) then make sure the new axle has brakes or at least the flanges to install brakes. Mine is an original trailing torsion axle on my 1976. I just figured out (after 8 years) that one side is slightly bent so that the tire "toes out" a bit. Otherwise it has lots of suspension left and I have had no problems with it tracking behind the tow vehicle. I just have to keep an eye on the tire wear on the one side. I may take the shell off next year to have a look and get it straightened.

You have probably already seen this video for taking it off the frame

RiverportRovers's Channel - YouTube

and here is my YouTube channel if you are looking for ideas.

kevinhenry61's Channel - YouTube

Have fun
Wow, Just viewed a couple of your vids -VERY IMPRESSED! they will certainly assist me a lot - I think I just discovered that on my Boler ALL the bloody bolts have snapped off - I am amazed the thing remained on the frame at all!.

Next week I plan on undertaking the removal of the body from the frame - It should be an experience and I will post my progress ( or disaster) as timegoes on.

Ted
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ted, just remember when things look like they're overwhelming... it doesn't have to be perfect, just clean and safe to go down the road. Beyond that, it only needs to be perfect for you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I too was going to mention the RiverportRover,
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #7

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
Remove Frame

Hi Ted
I just did this on my new 1973 13' and am very glad I did. I'll be building a new modified frame. I will, however, be using the original axle.
Just a warning: my Boler had about 20 wood screws (Robertson head, ~1 1/2") holding the plywood floors onto the main frame rails and the cross member: nary a bolt in sight. I'm pretty sure they were the originals. (I had taken the main floor pywood out and it was held to the lower sheet metal cross frame lips with rivets). Most of the wood screws were broken or would not come out without much prying, zip-sawing and whacking. The biggest problem was inside the bottom of the closet. A couple of these wood screws (near the bottom of the fender well) had been covered by some fibreglass thereby preventing access to their heads. So I had to take the closet out first to break into the fibreglass to expose them. Later, when everything was just about free, I jacked the body up, pryed some more, and let gravity pull the frame down. Good luck.
Glenn_Stephanie_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks Glenn!

I managed to get mine off and it was exceptionally easy. Easy because there wasn't a screw or a bolt left in the thing that had to be removed! The main four corner bolts had snapped off - God knows when...and all the screws had also broke off except for two at the front and two under the kitchen sink area. I have no idea how this thing managed to stay on the trailer!

Right now the frame is off getting a few minor cracks welded and my new axles should be arriving this week.

I had seriously considered a new aluminum frame for it but costs are something I have to keep an eye on.

I am hoping to have my baby rested back onto the frame by Labour Day.

After that it is sanding down the exterior - repairing some leaks around the centre joint, maybe take a window or two out and reseal them. But the weather will be closing in soon here in Northwestern Ontario, so I will be lucky to get much else done.

Take care Glen - I hope to get some pics of my project up soon - the old girl was in really rough shape when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Stephanie_BC View Post
Hi Ted
I just did this on my new 1973 13' and am very glad I did. I'll be building a new modified frame. I will, however, be using the original axle.
Just a warning: my Boler had about 20 wood screws (Robertson head, ~1 1/2") holding the plywood floors onto the main frame rails and the cross member: nary a bolt in sight. I'm pretty sure they were the originals. (I had taken the main floor pywood out and it was held to the lower sheet metal cross frame lips with rivets). Most of the wood screws were broken or would not come out without much prying, zip-sawing and whacking. The biggest problem was inside the bottom of the closet. A couple of these wood screws (near the bottom of the fender well) had been covered by some fibreglass thereby preventing access to their heads. So I had to take the closet out first to break into the fibreglass to expose them. Later, when everything was just about free, I jacked the body up, pryed some more, and let gravity pull the frame down. Good luck.

Tags
boler