1974 Hunter1 rocking when towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: craig
Trailer: 1974 hunter 1
Colorado
1974 Hunter1 rocking when towing

Have a 1974 Hunter 1 that rocks when towing at above 55 mph. Tried to put more weight in front. Leaf springs could be original . Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Craig
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My leaf springs originally had one of the brackets frozen and one side was lower than the other- didn't rock, but that still might be what's wrong with yours.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had a Compact II and a Mini Rover both had drop spring axles and both trailers had a tendency to bounce from side to side going down the road. I think it is the high CG coupled with the leaf spring axles tendency to transfer shock load to the entire trailer. Shocks should help solve the problem but you would have to figure out how to install them.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you have the original drop axle it shouldn't rock at all, If it has a replacement straight axle, that "might" change the tracking and/or towing dynamics, but it's not a commonly heard problem.

Several things to check:

Tire pressure and age: Older tires a susceptible to delamination and out of round condition. Any tires over 6 years old should be replaced as a matter of safety. You should have tires marked ST (special trailer).

Balance tires and/or out of round wheels might also be a consideration.

Tongue weight: As an easy check, put three packages of 30 or so one liter bottles on the floor at the front of the trailer and see if that makes a difference. On mine, if I'm not at 10% or better, it sometimes tries to wander.

Hitch Condition. I had to replace the receiver on mine as it would not tighten against the ball. A snug hitch is a must.

Now, mine sometimes rocks, but I just post a sign on the back door like this:

"When this Hunter is a Rockin' don't bother knocking".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

Colorado
Hi Bob
It has a drop axle. The springs the clips that hold the springs together have slid off. Also when the trailer is stationary with a slight push on the side of the camper you can rock it.
What should the tire pressure be?
Thanks
Craig
Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Max tire pressure is on the tires sidewall. There is also a way to figure out age (google age trailer tires) so you can see if they should be replaced. You can go down from max pressure depending on the ride and the weight you are carrying.

You might look for a trailer shop (not necessarily RV) and have them look at the springs.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Hi Craig

The spring clips are no biggie and replacements can be obtained from any spring shop or on-line.

As far as rocking, as it has leaf springs and no shocks, that's normal when standing still, but shouldn't happen when driving.

Tire pressure is based on the load range of the tires. I have Load Range "C" tires, so I set them at 45-50 PSI. Look on the tires sidewall for the load/pressure rating for the tires you have. While you are at it, also check the age dates that are molded into all tires. Old tires on trailers are rampant.

Just 2-3 days ago a Boler owner posted a pic of the tires on his recently purchased rig. From the side they looked like new, but the casings inside the treads were badly cracked and he had a "Thump-thump" problem that could have well produced rocking on a leaf spring chassis.

Again, I think you have a tire problem rather than a trailer suspension problem.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Craig
When I rebuilt the frame and running gear on the Mini Rover the spring/shackle bushing were completely worn out. I could lift the frame about 1/2" before the axle lifted. I ordered new bushings from E-trailer that really tightened up the suspension. Springs for these trailers are fairly easy to find and aren't too expensive if needed. It is recommended that spring and shackle bolts be replaced if removed. If your bushings are worn completely out the bolts will also be worn. If you replace the springs more than likely you will need new new square U bolts for the axle mounting brackets.
Good luck Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Colorado
Does anyone know where a can get leaf spring for this trailer. It looks like the axle rating is 1500 lbs and the leafspring is 26 5/8" long.
Most companies on web e-trailer, eastern marine have springs rated at 1000 lbs which they say will be too stiff. Also they dont seem to have the length .
Thanks
Craig
Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Colorado
Hi Bob
The tires are ST175/80R13. One tire was 28psi and the other was 35 psi. Will inflate to 45 psi both tires and see if solves problem. Will also check balancing on tires
Thanks
Craig
Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #11

Be sure that the tires are rated for 50PSI before inflating them to 45PSI. Load range "B" ST tires are common and have a maximum inflation pressure of 36PSI. Again look on the sidewall to verify.

What's the info on the tires as to age? And did you pull them off to have run out, out of round and balance checked?

I just don't think that springs are the real issue but, if they are, shackles can easily compensate for minor differences in spring length.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #12

Colorado
Hi Bob
Tires are rated at 50 psi.
Pumped tires to 45 psi and had balanced. tested at 65 mph around corners. all good.
Thanks
Craig