1976 Scamp Remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Jen
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Registry
1976 Scamp Remodel

We got out the folder and the Scamp is a 1976 model. We even have the cancelled checks from when my grandfather bought the kit. So far I have scrubbed the ensolite, removed the carpet, taken the fabric off the foam, removed all the cupboard doors, sanded, scrubbed, and did I say scrubbed?

I am getting differing opinions from family members about the interior. I can tell that some people don't like painted ensolite but I was wondering why? What are the pros and cons of painting it? If I am going to do it, now is the time.

Here are some pictures of my progress thus far.

Also, I have to/want to replace the roof vent and I was wondering if there is any good advice out there. I would like to go to a 14" vent, right now it is a tiny 8" type thing.

Finally, the wood/fiberglass ledge that supports the top bunk is tweaked on the right. How is this attached? It still seems strong so I am considering building it up and fiberglassing it with some support below and a wedge on top.

Before pictures are attached. Guess I reached the limit so others will be later.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp1.jpg   scamp2.jpg  

scamp3.jpg   scamp4.jpg  

scamp5.jpg   scamp6.jpg  

scamp7.jpg   scamp8.jpg  

scamp9.jpg   scamp10.jpg  

JenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Ohio
Registry
Here are some pictures of where I am now.

I have filled holes from all the rivets I took out and the hinges and am sanding down the JB weld I used. It seems to be working out. It isn't going to be a show camper but I think it already smells a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp11.jpg   scamp12.jpg  

scamp13.jpg   scamp14.jpg  

scamp15.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The vent/escape hatch is normally installed above the center of the dinette. If you want to install a fantastic fan with an ensolite interior you want to install it near the closet or cabinets so you can get power to it more eaisly. You may just want to enlarge the hole from your current vent.
The front bunk support is just a glassed in piece of plywood. Painting/sealing the floor also helps with odors and helps freshen up in the older trailers.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #4

Ohio
Registry
Thanks for the advice. My camper doesn't have 12v anymore just 110 so although I would love a fantastic fan, I don't think that is an option for me. I am planning on painting most every surface, including the floor, to freshen it up. I just haven't decided about the ensolite.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jen, lots of folks have painted the ensolite with good results. It's a great way to change color, maybe from stark white to soft beige or whatever suits you best. It's your trailer, make it the way you want it.

How's the seam tape?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp