1976 Trillium Trailer - New Cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
1976 Trillium Trailer - New Cushions

Hi all,

So happy that I found this forum!
I'm a proud new owner of a 1976 Trillium Trailer. It's in pretty good shape. I am grossed out though that the cushions are original.

Has anyone here had to get replacement foam and covers? Any recommendations/advice?
stephfstpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium
We were fortunate to be able to replace ours by contacting a local small business owner that cuts custom size foam cushions. We did a footprint of the shape and size of the cushions, and he took it from there. He has the machinery to cut that thicker foam where it creates a smooth finish along the edge.

We then had a local seamstress make covers to go over the cushions, and voila! Or if you can do the sewing part, you can make your own covers - but, I know I couldn't. They turned out perfect. Not sure if you can find a company around you that can custom cut foam pads or cushions, but that may be your first part to look into.

Since it's just the two of us in our trillium we found suggestions here to make the bunk bed side into our permanent "dinette" and the dinette side into our permanent bed (still can take that side apart if we want to. So, the picture you see below is of our dinette with the cushions we had made. Nothing fancy, but they work.

Hope you can find someone that can help you out in your area!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2585.jpg  
Krysti Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Don't be too grossed out. They are all synthetic, so they can be washed. That is assuming that they have not fallen apart yet.
If your are going to get new covers made, I would have new foam in them as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #4

Ontario
Sweet modifications Krysti and thanks for the advice. Your cushions look comfy!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks David,
I actually found a foam cleaning tip on Pinterest, using baking soda, vinegar and sunlight. It took all the smell out. Not sure how clean it really is, but I feel better about it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium
If baking soda, vinegar and sunlight didn't get the smell out, I can't imagine what would have - that's great! Saved you a lot of extra work. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas. I clean houses on the side, and people would be amazed how wonderful vinegar is for certain applications and same as baking soda. Glad they were in good enough shape that you were able to reuse them. Our dinette/main bed cushions are still the original ones - but since we don't take it apart to make it into a dinette anymore, they don't have to move at all. Then we had that friend of ours make a once piece cushion, too - it's not too shabby! Enjoy your Trillium!!!
Krysti Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
replacing mine!

I see you are in Ontario. I am having all my cushions done by a local fellow. Price seemed good. If you PM me I will let you know how it turns out and perhaps he might like to do yours. He is north of Toronto, about 1 hour out.
I supplied the fabric from Len's Mills in Guelph.
Dave
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Trillium Cushions - Replace VS Cover

The new Trilium cushions look very nice.

For our recently purchased '76 Trillium 1300, we were in a bit of a hurry and wanted to get our trailer fixed up in a week so we could travel with it, so my wife resorted to hand cleaning the outside of the old cushions and covering them with a woven soft polyester blanket like fabric, securing it with 2" safety pins, as someone else suggested in a post. It turned out very nice if I say so myself and the fabric can be removed and cleaned if necessary. This also gives us time to research buying new cushions should the need arise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1823.jpg   IMG_1824.jpg  

georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Temporary cushion covers

Your soft blue cushion covers look great! What a good idea for a temporary fix. You're right about taking some time to think about new cushion covers. We've just bought our first trailer, a 1977 Trillium 4500, and it's tempting to want to jump into improvement projects. Perhaps it's a blessing that we'll have the winter to think about our new trailer and how we'd like it to work for us. Then next spring, when we finally get to use her. maybe we'll have some different ideas about what we want to do! Good suggestion about the safety pins!
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium