1977 Boler - worth the price? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
I agree,they all leak over time but for that price it shouldnt have any leaks.Even with all the work I've done on mine so far I have less than $1300 in it including the purchase price and it has no leaks.I know you dont normally find them for what I paid for mine but for $5200 it should be camp ready with no leaks.
The green one looks to be in pretty good shape though.The fiberglass damage should be a pretty easy fix.I wouldnt let that scare me off if the rest of the trailer is in order.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #22

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
finding a rim for a spare tire

So we just got back from looking at the green 1973...I'm torn now, between the two.

The yellow 1977 ($5200) has all of the bells and whistles - awning, propane tanks, spare tire, original sink faucets, original stove-furnace-fridge (all working), original gel coat - but it's a bit grungy and it LEAKS!

The 1973 ($3800) is, to my taste, a better colour - but there's fiberglass damage, no spare tire, no propane, no fridge, no awning, no front window guard. It's clean though, the interior is much better and it doesn't LEAK!

By the way, does everyone travel with a spare tire? Is that a given? The green 1973 never had one.

Do you know if I can get a rim easily? I can't imagine travelling far without a spare.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Based on your description of each camper I would go with the green one.Thats just my personal opinion though.As far as the spare goes,I wouldnt travel without one.They can be found pretty easily anywhere that sells trailer wheels.You can even get them at Walmart in my area.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Would you drive your tug without a spare? Probably not. My trailer leaves the driveway, the spare goes with it (in the back of the tug). I have no opinion one way or the other about which trailer you should buy, but I'm not a died-in-the-wool fan of "original."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Melanie...I'd buy it with a little negotiating. You can lay under it and take a hammer and sound out the frame...tapping to listen for a thud rather than a ring. Visual crack detection in the area where the frame bends toward the tongue and put your fist on top of the tires to check for space under the wheel housing...looking for black scrub marks too. Nothings fool proof but all things are replaceable except the door lock maybe. Very clean '77 from my POV. Grunge doesn't count as elbow grease is free but resealing the windows and vents isn't "Rocket Science" either.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. here's a pic of our former '77 Boler that also resides in Halifax I think?
Attached Thumbnails
1977Boler Voyageur.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #26

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Just make sure that beautiful floor you've fallen in love with, isn't hidding a rotten floor. Leaks happen. All windows and vents leak over time and are easy to fix. No matter which trailer you buy, you will eventually become very family with butyl and (good brands) of caulk.

Did you take the Buyers Check List with you?
Donna - How can you tell if a floor is rotten (during the buying process when you can't dig too much!). I'm assuming that even a fiberglass floor has plywood sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass (is this true?). If so, do they rot? How can you tell? Can they be fixed? I know the leaks can be fixed but how badly did those leaks damage the floor - that is my concern. Melanie
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #27

Trailer: Boler 1984
Propane tanks have to be replaced or purged and tested every ten years, so the old tank probably goot retired.
I carried a temporary spare for a long time until I found an original boler rim and tire. If you get a 15" size with the 4 1/2" bolt pattern it will be almost the same outside diameter as your 13" tires. They are available at wrecking yards for $5 or less. I sold the temp at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago for the same as I paid for it.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler