1977 Boler - worth the price? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
1977 Boler - worth the price?

I looked at a 1977 Boler last night - asking price $5200.

It's mostly original - working furnace, fridge, stove. There has been vinyl flooring nailed down - not sure what condition the floor is like. The upholstery and curtains are newer. No paint inside or out - original finish. Looks like it's been neglected - which is probably why it's in the original condition - but as a result there is some rust on the metal parts. Original awning included. No mold. Frame seems good but hasn't been reinforced. There is no door sag - looks like someone fixed that.

What do you think - does the price seem right?

Also, you can see from the first picture that the window in the door is small. I've never seen a small window here - do you think this is original?

Thanks for your help...Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
68503cc_20.jpg   3653gi9_20.jpg  

8089b5d_20.jpg   1436knd_20.jpg  

Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes, those are the original windows. Standard for that year Boler (and other years). Just like buying a stick built home.. there's location, location, location. When was the last time you saw a Boler with very similar options, cleanliness, etc. for sale in your area. What is it WORTH to you to own it? If you can afford it, it's what you want... go for it. You can start your memories immediately. Or delay.. for how long.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Melanie, the door window looks original. Or at least it's the same one in my '72 Boler and appears the same as others I've seen in pics. I'd find out if the axle is original... if it is, consider how much life it has left (if you want to compare to an original picture, check out this link and scroll down a couple posts to see the height of a '76 Boler http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...arm-37248.html) Overall, it looks in very nice condition - tho it's hard to see the exact finish of everything.

You'll get plenty of opinions on whether $5200 is fair, in part b/c if restoration is needed or has been done - we all have a different monetary value on our own time/expertise! If there's still reasonable work left - I'd say it seems high. If it's completely healthy and ready to roll w/no more money/work - then it may be fair.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, those are the original windows. Standard for that year Boler (and other years). Just like buying a stick built home.. there's location, location, location. When was the last time you saw a Boler with very similar options, cleanliness, etc. for sale in your area. What is it WORTH to you to own it? If you can afford it, it's what you want... go for it. You can start your memories immediately. Or delay.. for how long.
Yes, what Donna said She's a faster typer than I am apparently!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #5

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Maybe the pictures are just flattering, but I guess that's not what I'd consider neglected -- looks uniquely tidy for 30+ years of use! But, don't tell the seller I said that

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #6

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Jess View Post
Maybe the pictures are just flattering, but I guess that's not what I'd consider neglected -- looks uniquely tidy for 30+ years of use! But, don't tell the seller I said that

-- Jess
I agree...by neglected, I mean no one has painted or changed anything (aside from the 'new' vinyl flooring and upholstery). It looks like our damp, salty maritime environment has been tough on it over the years though - every metal bit is rusty.

Has anyone attempted to remove flooring and salvage the fiberglass floor? Any tips or tricks to repair the holes?

Were probably going for another look at it on the weekend. Any advice on what to look for underneath. I got a good tip in a previous post on how to check the axle - fist width between top of tire and fiberglass. I will bring a tape measure to see if it's much lower than originally spec'ed as well.

How do I know if the frame and axle have much (or any) life left? We would like to use it for the rest of the summer and fix it up a bit over the winter months.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Boler
A bit high but it depends what else is for sale.

Have a good look at the frame for cracking around the axle mount points and underneath the front bunk. Those seem to me like the most likely places you'll see issues. Are the tires usable and is there any indication of leaking? You might find a few negotiating points and identify how much work you have to do before using the trailer.

If the trailer is largely un-modified (and I mean *bad* modifications!), then the price is only about $700 higher than I've seen around here. If there's nothing else for sale out where you live, it might be a fair price.

BTW, I've seen a *lot* worse being listed for ~$4000...
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
If you could teleport yourself and a purchased egg anywhere, that price seems high (or, rather, you could find one in similar shape for cheaper). But teleportation doesn't exist yet, so travel costs must be added in to any price. How many do you see around Halifax?
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #9

Even if the axle is shot, that doesn't mean it's unusable for the summer. You just have to be careful of packing... everything shakes and bounces! And go slowly over bumps and pot holes. I pulled my Scamp for two years hundreds of miles up and down the length of Oregon and Washington before I changed the axle. I mean... there is a budget that needs to be considered. The biggest problem is too much bouncing could cause the frame to crack at the a-frame area. Check it everytime you stop!

But boy, did I notice the difference once the axle was changed
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #10

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Use your concerns about the axle as a bargaining tool with the owner to help out on price. Being into hot rods and custom bikes I have bought and sold and traded many things an I've very seldom listed anything for exactly what I wanted I usually list something for 10-15% more than what I'm willing to take that way there's room to deal and I rarely pay the listed price for an item. So in short I'd start at $4500 and be willing to go to full price if you really want it. I've seen some out my way in similar condition listed for $6000 +. And some real junk for $3000 so the price does not seem out of line.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
It appears to have newer interior lighting and a newer water pump. The referidgerator looks to have been replaced too. Does the Bargeman 400 door lock work and is that a working outside light by the door? Overall, from the pictures, it appears to be a trailer that someone has tried to keep in up-to-date but in original condition.
Ours is 7 years newer with new axle, new paint job, outside hatches and new interior, permenant bed with two person dinette and a new fridge. If we were to list it it would probably sell for around $5500-$6000. Check the trailers sold archives to judge prices in your area.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #12

Name: Adam
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1972
Alberta
looks pretty good and fair too me. We paid 4800 for ours and I am approaching 1800-200 added too it in reno-repairs and cleaning. We missed out on a few great deals because we kept looking for a better deal, eventually you just have to bite the bullet. That trailer looks in pretty good 'original' shape. Curious about the trailer trolley mounted on the hitch area
adriemel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #13

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Even if the axle is shot, that doesn't mean it's unusable for the summer. You just have to be careful of packing... everything shakes and bounces! And go slowly over bumps and pot holes. I pulled my Scamp for two years hundreds of miles up and down the length of Oregon and Washington before I changed the axle. I mean... there is a budget that needs to be considered. The biggest problem is too much bouncing could cause the frame to crack at the a-frame area. Check it everytime you stop!

But boy, did I notice the difference once the axle was changed
How hard is it to find a replacement axle? Do you buy them new?

My main concerns are the frame and axle - worst case, we'd buy it and need to do a whole lot of work reinforcing and/or replacing.

The inspection is only good until next month - would that factor in your decision to buy?

We're going back to see it tomorrow. I appreciate all of the comments and advice - helps a lot making a decision.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #14

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriemel83 View Post
looks pretty good and fair too me. We paid 4800 for ours and I am approaching 1800-200 added too it in reno-repairs and cleaning. We missed out on a few great deals because we kept looking for a better deal, eventually you just have to bite the bullet. That trailer looks in pretty good 'original' shape. Curious about the trailer trolley mounted on the hitch area

Are you wondering about the old lawn tractor towing it? Or the jack to hold the hitch up?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our Boler was one of the first ones that Paul Neumiester replaced. He now ships all over the place. You could contact him re pricing.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
best thing to do would be to offer to pay for the MVI before you buy it...and get the guy doing the inspection to give it a really good check for you. if it does not pass inspection, you can use that as a bargening tool..........if the seller does not want to do this, then you need to ask your self if they are hiding somthing...........it sure would be nice to have the 2 year inspection done before you buy it, one less thing to worry about!!
do you know if the trailer came from NB? i had looked at one 5 or 6 years ago in NB that looks ALOT like that one!!
best of luck with the shopping.....it is part of the fun! well i enjoyed the hunt!
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #17

Nova Scotia
Registry
Update

So we went to see the 1977 Boler again this evening. It was a perfect night to go...pouring rain! Vent leaks...back window leaks...side window leaks. The frame and axle look good...and all of the appliances work...but...I think I'm falling out of love...

...beforehand, we stopped by a campground and I saw a green and white Boler! It was a sign...

...so tomorrow we're going back to see the 1973 Boler we saw Thursday night (2 hours each way!). In another post I described damage to the fiberglass around the wheel area which is really scaring me off. It's far from original...larger furnace, painted upper exterior, sink faucets removed/replaced, fridge doesn't work, no propane tank, no spare, no awning, no front window cover, a bit of door sag...but I keep coming back to it. Floor is beautiful, paint job is old but good, interior has orange upholstery and it is very clean...and hopefully no leaks!

1973 $3800 (1977 $5200)
Attached Thumbnails
5511318_20.jpg   0833j7e_20.jpg  

417330c_20.jpg   9711l8k_20.jpg  

7869ddf_20.jpg   4575b4n_20.jpg  

0493546_20.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #18

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWA View Post
best thing to do would be to offer to pay for the MVI before you buy it...and get the guy doing the inspection to give it a really good check for you. if it does not pass inspection, you can use that as a bargening tool..........if the seller does not want to do this, then you need to ask your self if they are hiding somthing...........it sure would be nice to have the 2 year inspection done before you buy it, one less thing to worry about!!
do you know if the trailer came from NB? i had looked at one 5 or 6 years ago in NB that looks ALOT like that one!!
best of luck with the shopping.....it is part of the fun! well i enjoyed the hunt!
Thanks Kevin - I thought about trying to get an inspection before buying but didn't quite know how to handle it. Your suggestion sounds fair. I'm not sure where it came from but see my last reply...it leaks a lot and one of the main reasons to buy a Boler is to get out of a leaky tent! Maybe I'm expecting too much from these old eggs!

...and yes, we are enjoying the hunt...although the cost of travelling all over to see them is getting up there! We have learned a lot about what to look for just in the past week...thanks to this forum for much needed info.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Thanks Kevin - I thought about trying to get an inspection before buying but didn't quite know how to handle it. Your suggestion sounds fair. I'm not sure where it came from but see my last reply...it leaks a lot and one of the main reasons to buy a Boler is to get out of a leaky tent! Maybe I'm expecting too much from these old eggs!

...and yes, we are enjoying the hunt...although the cost of travelling all over to see them is getting up there! We have learned a lot about what to look for just in the past week...thanks to this forum for much needed info.
You are not expecting too much from these old eggs.You can find them with no leaks for much less money than they are asking for that green one.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #20

Just make sure that beautiful floor you've fallen in love with, isn't hidding a rotten floor. Leaks happen. All windows and vents leak over time and are easy to fix. No matter which trailer you buy, you will eventually become very family with butyl and (good brands) of caulk.

Did you take the Buyers Check List with you?

Tags
boler