1977 scamp interior light question/12v ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
HI , just above the sink and stove I opened the cupboard and installed a 12v reciever/recpitcal thing-y-ish (not sure of the technical name) so that I could charge my cell phone or run a portable DVD player. I tapped into the existing wire used by one of the lights. I decided to try this location first then if things didn't work out I didn't have a hole already drilled and commited to that spot. So after I installed it I turned on one of the lights and just left it on for maybe 15 minutes or so. When I went to turn the ligth off it was very hot to the touch. Now my diligma is this I don't know if it was this way befor. Nothing was plugged into the 12v draining power but my concern would be that wire heating up to much. I would never have both light and 12v running at the same time. So two thought...1) find out what bulbs are supose to be in there (maybe they are drawing to much energy) 2)unhook the whole attachment and run a seperate line for the 12v straight to the battery...not sure how but something I might be able to figure out. Any thoughts on this and what size bulbs are supose to be in a 1977 scamp light (the two on the side of the cupboard above the stove) Thank you !!!

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i ck'd my 77 scamp and found it had reflect-o-lite 501 lamps. they contained 1141 bulbs, that are rated at 12.8 volt/1.44 amp/18.432 watts. they are also available in 1.6 amp and 2.63 amp versions. the bulb is the same size as an 1156 which is a standard tail light bulb rated at 26 watts. they do get hot, i have burnt my thumb many a time on cars messing with them and it is a common substitution. you need to ck the box for consumption ratings the bulb usually only has the basic id number.
jeff
jeff y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: When I wired in a MaxxFan in the roof of our former Boler...that light fixture is where I wired it into and I never noticed a problem!!! Make sure you use proper 12V. wire connectors though.
Yes those bulbs do get hot but they can be replaced with LED's that use less power/burn cooler but will change the light pattern.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi: When I wired in a MaxxFan in the roof of our former Boler...that light fixture is where I wired it into and I never noticed a problem!!! Make sure you use proper 12V. wire connectors though.
Yes those bulbs do get hot but they can be replaced with LED's that use less power/burn cooler but will change the light pattern.

What is a proper12v connector? There was a black and red wire (fairly thin not sure of the guage) I used a large yellow wire nut and wrapped it with black electrical tape.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
i ck'd my 77 scamp and found it had reflect-o-lite 501 lamps. they contained 1141 bulbs, that are rated at 12.8 volt/1.44 amp/18.432 watts. they are also available in 1.6 amp and 2.63 amp versions. the bulb is the same size as an 1156 which is a standard tail light bulb rated at 26 watts. they do get hot, i have burnt my thumb many a time on cars messing with them and it is a common substitution. you need to ck the box for consumption ratings the bulb usually only has the basic id number.
jeff
Thanks for going and checking it out!!! This website has the best help.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brandy... I used crimp on wire connectors 3way plug/socket/splice. I bought them @ NAPA. Then wrapped with tape. I should have bought some shrink tubes to use in place of the tape.
Sounds like you did a fine job anyhoo !
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #7

well I decided that I was going to change things up and wire it properly. I changed locations and wired directly to the battery using a larger gauge wire than what was used for the lights...something in me said DON"T DO IT so I listened. Just went and purchased an inverter to use as well so I can brew something good or watch tv when there is no power available...my next quest Baterry knowledge...thanks for all the good info guys. I keep learning how to do things I never thought I would try/attempt to do.

Tags
scamp