1977 Trillium - Wiring to a 4 Plug - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Posts: 15
1977 Trillium - Wiring to a 4 Plug

Hi -
I am trying to fix all the exterior lights on my 1977 Trillium 1300. The previous owner converted to a 4 pin set-up, but this does not work with my car's 4 pin set-up. I had my car checked out, and everything is working correctly on that end.

The previous owner cut the wires near the end of the 7 pin plug. The 7 pin plug is gone, but all of the 7 wires are accessible. When I removed the electrical tape, the previous owner had mis-matched the wire coloring connecting everything so that it would work with his vehicle (i know for a fact the lights worked for him). This trailer doesn't have brakes, and I would like to convert the 7 pin to a 4 pin set-up. I have the original wiring diagram from this website's document center. I just need to know what wires to connect with the standard 4 pin set-up. Please help. I am going crazy here!
__________________

__________________
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Look at the colored chart. The first segment marked 4 way is your guide.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joe MacDonald's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 753
Gary, under the front seat ont the road side you should be able to see the wiring harness as it enters the trailer.
Start by making sure that White goes to white and is grounded on the frame.
if you have an extra 12 volt battery, this is how I would proceed:
hook the white wire at the tongue to ground on the battery.
take a chunk of wire with a 15 amp fuse in line(buy one from an auto parts place if needed)add an alligator clip to one end and fasten the other to the battery positive.
One by one connect the alligator clip to the other wires, Identify what lights up... Park lights, brake light etc. then match these to the wiring chart posted in thet response to your question.

Good luck

joe
__________________
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
........if you have an extra 12 volt battery.......joe

You can also use a battery charger or even a toy transformer from a train set as long as it is 12 to 15 volts DC output, as a power source.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Use a battery charger and attach the black clip to the frame(the frame is the ground) unless you have an aluminum frame,now touch the red clip from the battery charger to 1 wire at a time on the trailer and see what lights up, now mark that wire. Very simple to do with a battery charger.
Wires should be
Left turn
Right turn
Lights
Ground

Option
Trailer brakes
Backup lights
Power supply

Good luck
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Posts: 445
It seems everone likes their own colour combination. There is an unwritten same colour system for all but somewhere down the line someone changes it.
You have the right idea, hook up a 12 volt p/supply and check all the trailer wires to be sure.
Ron
__________________
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Posts: 543
Registry
At least you still have colored wires. My PO (or someone in the distant past) had replaced all my wires with stereo wire!
And WAY too much of it.
And hooked them up wrong.
A little patience on your part will pay off in the long run.
Good suggestions already given!
__________________
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Look at the colored chart. The first segment marked 4 way is your guide.
Thanks for the diagram is should be very helpful.
__________________
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Gary, under the front seat ont the road side you should be able to see the wiring harness as it enters the trailer.
Start by making sure that White goes to white and is grounded on the frame.
if you have an extra 12 volt battery, this is how I would proceed:
hook the white wire at the tongue to ground on the battery.
take a chunk of wire with a 15 amp fuse in line(buy one from an auto parts place if needed)add an alligator clip to one end and fasten the other to the battery positive.
One by one connect the alligator clip to the other wires, Identify what lights up... Park lights, brake light etc. then match these to the wiring chart posted in thet response to your question.

Good luck

joe
Thanks Joe, I see in another post that I can use a battery charger, since I have charger I will try it with your approach.
__________________
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You can also use a battery charger or even a toy transformer from a train set as long as it is 12 to 15 volts DC output, as a power source.
I have a charger and will give it a try.
__________________
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Posts: 15
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Use a battery charger and attach the black clip to the frame(the frame is the ground) unless you have an aluminum frame,now touch the red clip from the battery charger to 1 wire at a time on the trailer and see what lights up, now mark that wire. Very simple to do with a battery charger.
Wires should be
Left turn
Right turn
Lights
Ground

Option
Trailer brakes
Backup lights
Power supply

Good luck
I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the help everyone.
__________________
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Posts: 445
I read earlier that in the wiring of trailer if you have electric brakes that work off the brake lights and you don't have sep signal lites then when you activate your emergency flashers the breaks will pulsate also ??? You might want to investigate this possibility.

Ron
__________________
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
I just added a couple more wiring diagrams to the Document Center. It may be a bit before they're visable to the membership. In the meantime, does the attached help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4-Pin.pdf (191.5 KB, 16 views)
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Posts: 15
Thanks. I'll check them out. : )
__________________

__________________
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP- - Re-wiring a 74 Trillium 13' Barry Konkin Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 20 10-05-2015 09:35 AM
Plug-in connectors - AC wiring Carl G Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 09-30-2010 12:38 AM
Vehicle wiring to tow Trillium 13 francene Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 03-19-2009 10:14 PM
Hitch wiring plug options Lainey Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 07-20-2007 12:23 PM
wiring harness plug in Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 12-16-2002 01:04 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.