1978 Boler Door Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #1

Name: Rowan
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
1978 Boler Door Issue

Hi there,

So I have a 1978 Boler, and the prior owner decided to add some hardwood flooring on top of a new subfloor, which looked nice enough, but due to the added height of the laminate, it caused the door not to close due to the interior contour of the fiberglass.

Easy solution: take out the hardwood. However, the old owner had someone monkey with the hinges to try and get the door to clear and they added some support plates between hinge and fiberglass (due to multiple holes having been drilled, I think) and now I have a mish mash of a situation.

I’ll add some photos so you can see. The bottom of the door is kicked out and not sealing at all due to the misalignment inside.

Trying to think of how to do a “reset” with these hinges and door. My idea is to take off the hinges, take off the plates you see, put the door in proper position, so it closes, put the hinges on and mark our new holes, drill, and ta-da.

My fear (as I haven’t yet removed the plates in the pics) is that the last owner added the plates because of too many holes drilled too close to one another and strength was compromised so decided to plate it and start fresh.

My questions:

1. Can you “fill” holes in fiberglass like you can with wood filler on wood? Such that I can drill new holes and not worry that it’s too close to another hole? Or do i have to apply a whole patch and feather it out to get the structural strength?

2. Any suggestions? I’ve taken out the hardwood inside and the bottom door contour now lines up and doesnt interfere with it closing.

3. Do they make replacement hinges aftermarket that I can buy and just place the door in the proper position, drill new holes, and move on with my life?

Anyways, any ideas would be great. Even if “find a new door” happens to be the suggestion.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Door Problem 1.jpg   Door Problem 2.jpg  

Door Problem 3.jpg   Door Problem 4.jpg  

Merc359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #2

Name: Eric
TN
Registry
Hey Merc did you get your door fixed? I know its a little late in the game but I would fill the holes with wood dowels and epoxy. Also the hinges are available through Scamp.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #3

Name: Rowan
British Columbia
Not fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Hey Merc did you get your door fixed? I know its a little late in the game but I would fill the holes with wood dowels and epoxy. Also the hinges are available through Scamp.
Hi Eric,

It isn’t fixed but only because I’ve been restoring the entire rest of the trailer. Some people have mentioned in private messages to dowel and epoxy the holes and re drill them. Then, put the door in the correct position and re drill the holes. However, the new holes are very close to the old location and the drill bit wanders into them when I use a dowel. Would Fiberglas filler or epoxy of some sort work do you think?
Merc359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #4

Name: Eric
TN
Registry
Now that you mention it, I would probably drill out the holes to about 1/2 inch, then get the fiberglass jelly with the glass mixed in to fill the holes. Then I would drill my new hole starting with a 3/32 pilot hole. The only issue would be matching the gel coat.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler