1978 Scamp 16 Spare Tire Mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Avion 30P and 1979 Scamp 16
Michigan
1978 Scamp 16 Spare Tire Mount

I have 2 bolts on the back that are about 11/2 inches long.

They do not seem long enough to mount the wheel.

Can someone send me pictures of how the tire mounts?

Thanks,
Dave

dsfiii@yahoo.com
Dave Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you mean 1-1/2", I think they've been cut off. Hard to say why.

The wheel and tire should just lay up against the shell and the bolts should be long enough to add nuts with a little to spare.

Here's what the mount looks like for newer 5-lug wheels. The mount for the old 4-lug wheels is similar, but with only 2 bolts. The flat plate is inside the trailer under the liner and the bolts pass through a piece of plywood reinforcement and the shell itself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare Tire Mount.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	114953

You may have to get creative- a double-threaded coupler and another length of stud, or a custom bracket that attaches to the existing bolts, or fabricate a new mount like the original (Scamp might even still sell the old 2-bolt units- always worth asking, as they sell a number of things not listed on their website) and carefully peel back the lining and replace, or...?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I don't see any reason you could not replace the bracket with a new one from Scamp if your wheel would go on it (or the old one if they have it, as Jon said). It would be a bit of a project, removing some of the liner, drilling new hole(s) and maybe sealing up old ones. It would also give you a chance to inspect the wood reinforcement that the bolts go through (and that the plate sits on) to see if water has intruded and caused any rot.

Edit: for the new bracket, Scamp says:
Must have rim with 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern. Works only on rims with 5 lug nuts. Rims with 4 lugs nuts not compatable.
(Yes they misspelled compatible on the website

I removed my spare and carry it in the tug. That has a number of advantages so maybe you can do that. I had considered removing the bracket and bolts since its so ugly now with no spare on the back, not to mention people think I am nuts for towing cross-country with no spare for the trailer (which I do not do of course). But I decided to leave it in place.

Edit #2: It just occurred to me that the bracket looks like something they likely build in-house (does anyone know?). If so it should be easy for them to make one up for the older (or any) wheel.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Avion 30P and 1979 Scamp 16
Michigan
Spare tire mount

Thanks guys! Upon further inspection the original bolts look like threaded rod welded to large flat washers. It does look like some one cut them short as the ends are jagged.

I'l check with Scamp. Since it is 4 lug, if they don't have a solution maybe I will engineer something out of stainless steel.

Dave
Dave Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You can simply make a plate with longer bolts welded in the right pattern.
Drill two holes in the plate and bolt it to the short studs which are exposed.
This works well and if you ever decide to switch to 5 lug wheels it allows for three studs on the new plate and for hanging it straight.

One point... when you get your new bracket mounted be sure and install extra nuts on the studs to the inside of the wheel. Adjust them to allow the wheel to rest firmly against them when installed then install the outside nuts securely against them.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frazer View Post
Thanks guys! Upon further inspection the original bolts look like threaded rod welded to large flat washers. It does look like some one cut them short as the ends are jagged.

I'l check with Scamp. Since it is 4 lug, if they don't have a solution maybe I will engineer something out of stainless steel.

Dave
I doubt they are welded to the washers, although with age they might look that way. I'll wager that if you pry the washers off they will release and that the bolts are on a plate inside the camper, just like the three bolt bracket that Jon pictured.

The thought that a prior owner cut them off is logical. If they carry the spare elsewhere (as I do) then the protruding bolts can get in the way and I would not be surprised to see that someone cut them off.

Its a good plan to check with Scamp, or "engineer something" else if you need to carry the spare on the back of the trailer. But I do suggest that you consider the option to carry the spare somewhere else. If you have a pick-up truck then that should be easy. This is why I carry mine off the camper:
  • A Scamp 16 is often borderline on the tongue weight. If you have a single propane tank you might struggle to reach the commonly accepted minimum of 10% of trailer weight on the tongue to avoid sway. Removing the spare might well make the rig less susceptible to a sway problem. I am pretty sure it did with my Scamp 16.
  • If you store the spare out of the sun it will last longer, or at least be less susceptible to failure due to UV exposure. A cover on a rear-mounted spare helps, but storing in indoors when not using the camper is even better.
  • And although the risk is low, a spare on the trailer could be stolen.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp