1979 Bigfoot 17.5 foot TT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: none as yet!
Hello to all,
My guy and I have been looking at the above model trailer for purchase. The trailer is in ok condition but has some glitches, not uncommon for its advanced age! We will most likely have to replace the stove and fridge. Is it possible to do that with an ancient trailer like this? Everything else appears to be in working order but we think the price is high for the age and condition. Do any of you own an older Bigfoot and can you give us a ballpark figure? We are concerned that bringing it up to snuff would cost more than it is worth. It still has origional upholstry, curtains and rug!...all would need replacement. The owner has braced the floor to correct the problem there by the door, otherwise, there have been no upgrades.
Would appreciate hearing any comments.
Thanks,
Gloria
Gloria Makey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Gloria

It is extremely hard to place a value on any used trailer without seeing it.

Appliances are not difficult to replace, but can be costly. Refers come to mind when looking at $$$$$

Most of the stuff in our rigs, no matter what the age, are off the shelf items that can be retrofitted into just about any trailer. Unique items, such as a Duett stove/oven/heater combo may be almost impossible to find, but there are many other models that can go where it went.

I would be more concerned about structural issues than appliances. Fixing things like floors and frames can not only be costly, but even after repair can be unsafe. The good news is, with eggs, an absolutely unfixable unit is very rare. They live forever, it seems.

Cushions, curtains etc are easily replaced, and if you are a good and creative shopper, there is no reason such items need to be expensive.

It's up to you what you are willing to spend to refurb a trailer. I know many who picked up a hovel on the cheap and transformed them into palaces.. for a price. Such finds can easily cost 3-4 times the purchase price in refurb costs.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Gloria,

There is something that says Bigfeet are always overpriced. You often have to pay a premium for one! I would stay away from anything with structural damage unless the repair was well done. Keep looking for a trailer maybe only 5-10 years old and well cared for. Remember that it will cost more than you might think to fix one up.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Gloria,

I second that last bit of advice, because the 17 footers are fairly common. You didn't mention the price, but unless this one is reasonably priced, I would probably keep looking, mainly because it sounds as though there may be a structural issue. It's important to have some idea of how much money, time and effort you are willing and can afford to put in to any given unit to bring it up to par and (speaking from personal experience), plan for some unexpected issues, because the older models in particular may need some extra TLC.

If you are patient, you will find the perfect 17 footer for you!

Best of Luck in your Search!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I can't offer any guidance about the price, except to watch for ads and assume that those sellers don't get as much as they are asking.

The idea that the refrigerator and stove both need replacing seems strange to me. Of course appliances to eventually die, and lots of refrigerators don't make the quarter century mark, but both of those are original in my 1979 Boler and work fine (or at least as well as such a primitive design allows...). The stove, in particular, has almost no parts and should keep working almost indefinitely; is replacement just for cosmetic reasons?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot