1980 Scamp door... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: Seth
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
1980 Scamp door...

doesn't stay closed even when locked. I think it had more to do with the hinges and that they may be worn out. Hoping that it is not a bigger issue. It becomes a problem when driving down the road, especially anything with bumps.
In your experience, will a hinge pin replacement help? Or do I need to replace the whole hinge?
SethFlanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From what I can see, there's not much to go wrong with the hinge body. Are the attachment bolts to the body and door solid, holes not ovaled out? Is the latch tongue fully extending behind the striker plate when you close the door? (Some who installed the new-style door seal have found it very stiff until broken in and, unless you press the door very firmly into the seal, the tongue hangs up partway and the door pops open.) Does the inside portion of the latch mechanism appear tight and functioning correctly? Is the lock actually locking? (The bouncing of the trailer can wear out the lock inside the exterior handle. Installing the exterior handle so it points down rather than forward helps.)

If all of the above check out and a new hinge pin kit does not solve the problem, you may have to look beyond the hinge to the curvature of the door or the trailer body for problems. If moisture gets inside the door (from the window, usually), it can flatten out. If the shell is not adequately supported by the frame underneath and the cabinetry inside, it can bulge out at the middle.

Best wishes! When you find out what's wrong, report back so we can play "stump the chump"...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Seth, has any of the cabinets been removed?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
The body and the door can change over the years due to various issues including some mentioned in Ian G's Boler's buyers guide. I just ordered a new set of Scamp hinges for my Boler as the brass ball had worn. This allowed the door to shift left in the upper corner and down on the left side. The new hinges should come in today. My issue does not prevent the door from staying closed though. I had to rebuild our door as the wood inside had rotten to mush from leaks on the doors window. This caused the door to loose its original shape/contour. One way to check is to remove the the hinge pins and using 2 people hold the door in place with even spacing between the left & right recessed area. Not an easy task but you can quickly see if the the door or the body has distorted from is original shape. Once you have it held in place have someone (3 person is easier) to check around the contour of the door for any gaps or distortion as the other two hold in place. The door should not flex from top to bottom.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp