1980 Trillium 4500 16' Just purchased need help with remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Name: Eve
Trailer: 1987 CASITA
California
1980 Trillium 4500 16' Just purchased need help with remodel

Hello Fellow Fiberglass RV members
Well as a stated I would never take on another remodel project I just couldn't resist. Seeing this one ready to be towed( due to the tickets on trailer) by the city took a shoot in the dark and left a note on it hoping someone would call me back. Got a call from the owner begging me to buy it at my price. So drove away with it (pink slip in hand)at a cost of 2 new tires and $300. What a deal!
Well it's a little rough but nothing I haven't fixed before. My question is what is the weight carrying load on the roof for a roof top AC installation? I'm thinking about getting the roof reinforced so I can also put racks up for the kayak as well as bikes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of:
1991 13' Casita
1985 16' Casita ( Sold this beauty)
1980 Trillium 4500 16'
everc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

California
Wanted to add a picture but having problem adding it.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
X2
What a deal!!!
Sorry don't have any good idea for rack but you'll probably be doing a custom jobby of some sort. Bond to roof or bolt to roof, plus reinforcement inside from below? Your thoughts? I like the general idea of canoe / kayak rack. Some kind of roof-sized aluminium basket with small uprights to lash kayak to? I think how you fix te rack to trailer is your biggest problem to solve ...suggest you try to distribute weight as much as possible at your roof anchor points.
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Do you plan to tow the trailer to the put-in or the trail head?
If not, you need to carry boats and bikes on the tow vehicle, not on the trailer.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When Trillium sold a roof top AC, they put a saddle that spread the weight out over a large area. I have seen Trilliums ruined by putting a roof top AC unit on. See the links below:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rts-51044.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-64040.html

If you must have AC, go with a unit that replaces the escape hatch, or something inside the closet.

BTW, a Trillium 4500 is considered to be 15', (4500 mm).

Really looking forward to pictures of your trailer. If you post a picture of the data sheet that should be on the inside of your closet door, then I can add your trailer to the ever growing serial number list:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post455829
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would not put any kind of rack on top of a Trillium. I would be concerned the fiberglass would not support the forces involved. Not only do you have the additional weight but the effects of wind as you go down the road. That said I'm sure the topic has been explored here in the past. You can use the google search feature to find threads on the subject. Welcome to the forum and please do post more pictures. Enjoy your "new" Trillium. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Do you plan to tow the trailer to the put-in or the trail head?
If not, you need to carry boats and bikes on the tow vehicle, not on the trailer.

I would not put any kind of rack on top of a Trillium. I would be concerned the fiberglass would not support the forces involved. Not only do you have the additional weight but the effects of wind as you go down the road. That said I'm sure the topic has been explored here in the past. You can use the google search feature to find threads on the subject. Welcome to the forum and please do post more pictures. Enjoy your "new" Trillium. Raz

We kayak and there is no way I would put my boats on top of my camper. For all the reasons Raz stated and because it would just be to hard to get them up and off.

Most of the places we put the boats in the water you could not get a camper to anyway. Then when we get off the water we are down river from where we put in and I would much rather be close to my camp when we get off the water.

Happy Camping and Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

California
The latest on our recently purchased Trillium. Looks like we will in fact go with a Roof top AC unit. Prior owner had this unit modified to hold up a very heavy rooftop Ac so were going with the lightest one we can find. This was cleared with our Trailer shop owner and given the green flag go ahead. We will add the kayak and bike racks on to the Subaru Outback we own to not weigh this baby down any more that necessary. Hoping to get her out of the shop before July so we can hit the road.

Tags
trillium