1982 13' Burro - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Hi All!

I just picked up a 1982 13' Burro. I got it from a couple who had it sitting on their property idle for over 20 years under a tarp. It looked to have good bones and I couldn't resist. Though I can handle the cleaning of the trailer it does need some other work done that I don't feel confident handling myself.

The door latch needs replacing, it needs a new battery, and could use a new vent/fan installed. The icebox is missing a door and should be replaced or a new icebox installed and a few other odds and ends. I would really like to have a once over done on it by someone who knows what they are doing and what to look for.

Does anyone know any place or someone near Pasadena, CA that I can take my Burro trailer to have them do the work or help me out? If there is an individual who can help me, I don't mind either helping with the work (I actully perfer this) or staying out of the way, if that is what is needed!

Thanks,
Irene
__________________

__________________
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
learning to work on your own trailer is not as daunting as it might initially seem.

Outside of electrical and gas, and the running gear, (Safety critical items) there isn't much you can do to damage it.

It's easy to take it on yourself when you realize that it's like working on the hobbie car. You don't *Need* it for day to day life and getting around, and this gives you the luxury of taking it slow and doing things correctly.. and with a little flair.

I have done all the things you have listed, sans the icebox door. I am not anxious to do it again, but you may get a bite.
__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Labor costs are going to take a big bite out of a budget. I'm the type that would rather spend more money to buy better quality than pay the difference to someone to either install or fix. Basically what you're looking to do is to "replace," not "modify" or "make different." I'd suggest you start with the small stuff first to gain confidence before taking on something a bit harder. Even replacing the refrigerator door shouldn't be a big deal, afterall you're just putting one back on where there was one before! I've replaced the door latch on my trailer...that really was easy. Remove one, put a new one on in the same place using the same screw holes, etc.

Do you have the original manuals for the trailer? What brand/model is the refrigerator door? Members of FiberglassRV can help with info and guidance!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Quote:
learning to work on your own trailer is not as daunting as it might initially seem.

Outside of electrical and gas, and the running gear, (Safety critical items) there isn't much you can do to damage it.

It's easy to take it on yourself when you realize that it's like working on the hobbie car. You don't *Need* it for day to day life and getting around, and this gives you the luxury of taking it slow and doing things correctly.. and with a little flair.

I have done all the things you have listed, sans the icebox door. I am not anxious to do it again, but you may get a bite.

I am more than willing to try to do everything myself, any recommendations on where to buy replacement parts either locally or via the internet?

Thanks for encouragement and help!
__________________
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Quote:
Labor costs are going to take a big bite out of a budget. I'm the type that would rather spend more money to buy better quality than pay the difference to someone to either install or fix. Basically what you're looking to do is to "replace," not "modify" or "make different." I'd suggest you start with the small stuff first to gain confidence before taking on something a bit harder. Even replacing the refrigerator door shouldn't be a big deal, afterall you're just putting one back on where there was one before! I've replaced the door latch on my trailer...that really was easy. Remove one, put a new one on in the same place using the same screw holes, etc.

Do you have the original manuals for the trailer? What brand/model is the refrigerator door? Members of FiberglassRV can help with info and guidance!

No original manuals. I will check the refrigerator brand/model today. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
__________________
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Irene, over on the left nav bar, under "Resources", you'll find the Document Center. Within that link are resources to help you...starting with the Burro manual (under Trailer Brands). Also check out the manuals for all the appliances, etc.

We'll work on the "where-to-buy" parts when you get to the specifics.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Posts: 134
Irene, I bought our 17' Widebody Burro off of ebay. It was in horrible shape but I love to learn and love to tinker. I could have purchased another widebody Burro but would have driven a lot further to pick it up and would have spent more money on something that I would end up modifying for our family needs.

Since the purchase of our egg I have learned how to fiberglass, weld, replace an axle, wire and adjust brakes, wire for 12 volt, and continue to read and learn. Still need to plumb the egg and install lights. We have installed a bathroom, on the streetside, and a 3 way refrigerator and stove on the curb side. We did have help with the propane lines as that is something I am very cautious about.

The beauty of all of this...it will be exactly as we would like it AND we will know how to repair anything that should wear out or break down. This is especially helpful while camping in the wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I am a 5'2", 120 lb (or so) woman with a full time job, energetic 6 year old daughter, and very understanding and supportive husband. When I didn't have the muscle to complete a task, Mike would pitch in, but for the most part, the rehab of the Burro has been my passion and hobby.

You can do it with a little help from your friends.

Best of luck,
Donna
__________________
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 39
Hi Irene. Congratulations on your new Burro! I have an '83 13' Burro. I have the Burro manual and some miscellaneous literature. Nothing on the icebox except a quick mention in the Burro manual. Let me know if any of this would help!
__________________
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Quote:
Irene, over on the left nav bar, under [b]"Resources", you'll find the Document Center. Within that link are resources to help you...starting with the Burro manual (under Trailer Brands). Also check out the manuals for all the appliances, etc.

We'll work on the "where-to-buy" parts when you get to the specifics.
I have printed the manual in the resources as you directed and will read through so I can get a better handle on things.

Thanks, wow everyone has been great.
__________________
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Quote:
Irene, I bought our 17' Widebody Burro off of ebay. It was in horrible shape but I love to learn and love to tinker. I could have purchased another widebody Burro but would have driven a lot further to pick it up and would have spent more money on something that I would end up modifying for our family needs.

Since the purchase of our egg I have learned how to fiberglass, weld, replace an axle, wire and adjust brakes, wire for 12 volt, and continue to read and learn. Still need to plumb the egg and install lights. We have installed a bathroom, on the streetside, and a 3 way refrigerator and stove on the curb side. We did have help with the propane lines as that is something I am very cautious about.

The beauty of all of this...it will be exactly as we would like it AND we will know how to repair anything that should wear out or break down. This is especially helpful while camping in the wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I am a 5'2", 120 lb (or so) woman with a full time job, energetic 6 year old daughter, and very understanding and supportive husband. When I didn't have the muscle to complete a task, Mike would pitch in, but for the most part, the rehab of the Burro has been my passion and hobby.

You can do it with a little help from your friends.

Best of luck,
Donna
Yes, more and more I am feeling that I will be able to do this. The encouragement has been great. I admire your ability to take on a challenge, learn, and conquer. You sound like you could handle just about anything you took on!

I am looking forward to being able to write how I got my little Burro to a condition of my liking as well soon.

Irene
__________________
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Quote:
Hi Irene. Congratulations on your new Burro! I have an '83 13' Burro. I have the Burro manual and some miscellaneous literature. Nothing on the icebox except a quick mention in the Burro manual. Let me know if any of this would help!
How cool are you?! I printed the manual for the '81 Burro from Resources but any additional literature is welcomed.

How long have you had your Burro and what kind of shape was it in when you got it?

Thanks,
Irene
__________________
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 39
Quote:
How long have you had your Burro and what kind of shape was it in when you got it?
I have had my Burro for about two years. A previous owner had done a lot of work, so it was in very good condition. I'll make copies of the miscellaneous literature I have next week. I am sure you will have a lot of great camping trips with your new Burro!
__________________

__________________
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1982 Burro VIN Jerry starcher Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 08-10-2009 06:15 PM
1982 13' Burro For Sale Knoll Lowney Classified Archives 8 07-31-2009 10:31 AM
13' 1982 Burro Dana T Classified Archives 2 06-15-2009 10:41 PM
1982 burro, and we are off!! Pamela H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 07-20-2008 10:14 AM
BIG problems with 1982 Burro Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 08-14-2003 01:01 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.