1982 Boler Door Lock Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Name: Maisie
Trailer: 1982 Boler
Quebec
1982 Boler Door Lock Replacement

I'm hoping that you might have some ideas to help solve our problem. We just got back from our maiden voyage with our newly weather stripped Boler. The stipping was added around the door area and prior to the trip our door was able to stay closed, but since we spent the weekend having to force the door shut several times a day, the door no longer stays closed when traveling. I'm thinking that we'll need to change the lock but haven't seen any like that we have. It is not at all like thoses I've seen on the Scamp/Vintage trailer/Paul Neumeister sites. As a result, I'm not sure where to find a replacement. Would a locksmith be able to do something?

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3365258539.jpg   image-4191152677.jpg  

Maisie
bondgirl1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sorry to give you the bad news Maisie, but that door lockset is no longer available new. You MAY find one on eBay but expect to spend big bucks. If the lockset worked before you added a thicker weatherstrip, then the solution would be to replace it (again) with a thiner weatherstrip. Other than that, you'd need to purchase a new, different shape, lockset and expect to do some fiberglass work.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #3

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
What would I do! Glad you asked, I would take it apart and look at the inners. Might be just a spring or a broken something you can replace. If you cant see what is wrong just take it to the lock smith. I would look into mine but it sits in storage until the weekends.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t-57477-2.html
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

Quebec
Thanks Donna,

I was worried that it might be difficult to find an exact replacement.

I'll have to look into our options.
I appreciate your help!

Maisie
Old 05-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Quebec
Thanks so much Shawn! When I see the pics of what others have done I totally think that I could do that too, but sadly, I'm afraid that I have more ambition than know how.

I'll be calling a locksmith for some feedback. Fingers crossed that they'll be able to do something.

I appreciate your help!

Maisie
Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Like Donna, I hate to send bad news.

Save your time and money. I don't think you need a locksmith.
You have already mentioned you have the symptoms of "door sag" http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post335080
If your Avatar shows your trailer, it looks like it is riding low and probably needs a new axle.
I'd be looking at the frame 1st, floors second and axle 3rd before the latch.
We used to have a pop open door that does not any more and still have the original latch.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #7

Quebec
Yay it's fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
What would I do! Glad you asked, I would take it apart and look at the inners. Might be just a spring or a broken something you can replace. If you cant see what is wrong just take it to the lock smith. I would look into mine but it sits in storage until the weekends.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t-57477-2.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Like Donna, I hate to send bad news.

Save your time and money. I don't think you need a locksmith.
You have already mentioned you have the symptoms of "door sag" http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post335080
If your Avatar shows your trailer, it looks like it is riding low and probably needs a new axle.
I'd be looking at the frame 1st, floors second and axle 3rd before the latch.
We used to have a pop open door that does not any more and still have the original latch.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your suggestions. That's why I love this forum so much!

After having posted my comment on the forum last year, we had the trailer looked at by a couple different people. So far, it looks like all is well with the frame and floor.

I was able to find a locksmith and he fixed the lock last night. As Shaun mentionned, the spring wasn't working properly so he was able to adjust that.

Prior to the addition of the weather stripping, the lock was working no problem. The addition of the weather stripping made it difficult for the lock to hit the strike plate properly, so he also changed it. Now the door closes like a charm. No more slamming required! What a relief!

Maisie