1982 burro, and we are off!! - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
We have taken everything not attached out of the trailer. I had grand ideas of saving the pads, but this morning, with plans to wash them and perhaps ruin my washer...I have a question. Do scamp pads fit the burro? Love the U-shaped dinette...it just fits my husband... The hardware for the bunk has been damaged, it looks like the previous owner took a file to the hardware on the sofa. Any ideas on where I can get that bracket? I don't sew...so any help would be appreciated.

Pam

Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Foam is getting really expensive because it's a petroleum product. Try to salvage what you have, because you already have it! Don't use the washer. Lay a blue tarp (or similar) out in the yard (or driveway if it's flat), put the foam on it (sans covers), apply soapy water (not too much soap!), take off your shoes and do the "grape stomp." Flood with fresh water, squeeze out the soap and redo the stomp/water flood as needed. Get the neighborhood kids involved if necessary. In the end, squeeze out by rolling, as much of the water as you can. Stand the foam on edge (it drains faster), squeeze out the water edge frequently.

In really hot weather it may take a day or two or three to dry the foam.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro
I have an 85 burro and have been fixing it up for quite some time now. I have the original wood piece that I believe has the original brackets. I'm not putting it back in because it was too high for my daughter. I can take a pic if you want.

Good luck on the cushions. I had to buy new ones from scratch (family friend) since the burro factory went bust.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

A picture would be great! We have had to remove that strip of carpeting along the top and down the front and back. Has anyone left it off, or does it perform a function other than getting dirty? I think the green glow from the fiberglass is kinda cool...unless it leaks or sweats.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #5

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Quote:
We have taken everything not attached out of the trailer. I had grand ideas of saving the pads, but this morning, with plans to wash them and perhaps ruin my washer...I have a question. Do scamp pads fit the burro? Love the U-shaped dinette...it just fits my husband... The hardware for the bunk has been damaged, it looks like the previous owner took a file to the hardware on the sofa. Any ideas on where I can get that bracket? I don't sew...so any help would be appreciated.

Pam

I don`t have sewing machine but I use Stitch Witch-a tape you iron on the seams-holds like sewing. There are many brands-good luck.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
I don`t have sewing machine but I use Stitch Witch-a tape you iron on the seams-holds like sewing. There are many brands-good luck.
We picked up plexiglass last night for the windows, couldn't find tinted, so we had to go clear just to seal the windows. We will replace them at a later date, but have to seal them to go camping...We put the old cushions back in for sizing and placement, and found they were smaller than we pictured. We will have to clean again after we remove them...boy, they are stinky! I did find foam on the internet for less than I originally figured, since the sizes are smaller. I am torn between ordering ready made, and living with non-perfect sizes, and making my own and having non-perfect craftmanship... Decisions...decisions...

I also tried to remove the reminents of the stove, only to find one silly rivet among the screws. So...back to drilling out so that I can properly size the opening. We found one piece for one of the windows, so we can hopefully install a slider on the side again, but will probably leave the back in a single piece. Does anyone know where I can get filler to go in the track of the window next to the plexiglass to make it fit? we got .093 which was the recommended size of panel.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Pamela, we also have a 82 Burro 13', ours is complete and in the process of renovation. We have frame and flooring issues, but as we have undertaken each step I have pictures. So if there is anything you need a photo of send me a PM, and I will either send one I have or take a new one. Also make sure you check the frame as it meets the shell up front. I read other postings on this site and when and checked, ours was bad but repairable. In the end it will add somewhere between 100 and 300 to the renovation, but at least it wont crack off when towing. I had to get under to see the real issue.

We removed the ceiling carpet, and cushions because the camper sat for years as well. The previous owners smoked so that left a very stale scent. Pulling all of the textiles really helped there. We are considering ordering twin size foam mattresses online and cutting ourselves. We kept all the originals so we can use for templates. I have been toying with laminate hard wook floors, and possibly some form of thin wood panelling for the ceiling seam as well. Will need to glue it up and see if it stays, but I hated the idea of shag carpeting. If I must I might go with berber.

Enjoy
Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #8

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
Pamela, 1 have an 1984 Burro and I did take the carpeting strip off so I could add reflectix insulation. I glued the reflectix in place and then covered it with polar fleece which I also glued in place. I used a 3m spray on glue. The polar fleece is lightweight, cheap, and comes in a variety of colors and easy to replace if I want to. I used an offwhite. For the cushions, I replced the old with 1 1/2" foam and 2 inch memory foam stacked. They are comfortable.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Pamela, 1 have an 1984 Burro and I did take the carpeting strip off so I could add reflectix insulation. I glued the reflectix in place and then covered it with polar fleece which I also glued in place. I used a 3m spray on glue. The polar fleece is lightweight, cheap, and comes in a variety of colors and easy to replace if I want to. I used an offwhite. For the cushions, I replced the old with 1 1/2" foam and 2 inch memory foam stacked. They are comfortable.
Has anyone tried velcro and fabric to cover the fiberglass seam? I was thinking that it could be taken down and washed...but was curious if it would stay. Did you make new cushion covers?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #10

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
I reused the old cushion covers because they looked like brand new. I did wash them in cold water with Woolite. I let them soak for about and hour, washed them on gentle, and dried them outside. They did smell a little mildew-ish before washing. Drying them in the sunlight may have helped with the musty smell.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
I reused the old cushion covers because they looked like brand new. I did wash them in cold water with Woolite. I let them soak for about and hour, washed them on gentle, and dried them outside. They did smell a little mildew-ish before washing. Drying them in the sunlight may have helped with the musty smell.
The covers and foam just aren't useable to me...the covers are dry rotted, and the foam...well, lets just say...YUCK!! The back window got broken, it was in a horse paddock, and one of the horses had a great sense of humor...

We finally got tires in town to replace the 26 year old tires on the trailer, the roof vent should be in today, and I even bought a matching tow vehicle for the trailer... We got a 98 subaru forester, got it at a steal...high mileage however. I also ordered foam from the foam factory.

Now all I have left to make it useable is a hitch and wiring for the forester, rewiring the trailer lights, putting covers on the foam...flooring, a stove, two windows...should be a piece of cake, huh?

Pam
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Burro

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Pam[/quote]

The fun is just beginning ! We have an 83 that we are going through, I made a new round table to allow more friendly access to the seating area and cut the old table in two. We store each piece under the cushions and simply put the pieces back together when we need the bed. the round table allows room for 4 adults easily. Also , I replaced the ceiling carpet with wood paneling. I used epoxy to hold several fasteners to the roof then cut,screwed, and stained. Its a work in progress.... I hope you have as much fun with your project as we are.
Attached Thumbnails
0505080653.jpg   0521081030.jpg  

Tags
burro