1982 Burro Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
1982 Burro Questions

Hello all. Today I acquired a 1982 Burro that appears to be in relatively good condition. However, there are a few things that I know must be addressed plus those that my amateur status has me I'm ignorant of. If anyone is willing to let me pick your brain a little I would be greatly appreciative. I'll begin with the questions below.

-What vent should I purchase as a replacement (don't want a fan but do want a screen)?
-Does anyone have templates/dimensions for creating new main bed/cushions (neither are present)?
-It appears to be equipped with the L400 lock. Unfortunately the key wasn't included. Any advice on obtaining a new key?
-Any additional things I should inspect as a new owner?

Thank you all for your help.
nomadicitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you can't find a good locksmith that can make a key if you bring in the lock cylinder, You may find a replacement lock cylinder on ebay at greatly inflated price. I think I just saw at least one there. Check the age & condition of the tires, have the wheel bearings inspected and greased.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When ever I replace a roof vent I always install a FanTastic Fan. It's a little pricy but, after you start using it you will find it was a great investment.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
A Max/Fan is just like a FanTastic Fan except it comes with a built in rain cover.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #5

Alabama
Thank you all

Thank you all for the replies. I'll be pulling the Bargman this weekend and taking it to the locksmith.

New questions:

-My Burro didn't come with a heater. Any suggestions on a brand/model?

-Does anyone know the offset on the wheels or a source for a spare?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
About a Heater
Are you looking for gas or electric
fixed or portable
$500 or <$100

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

Alabama
I'm admittedly on virgin ground here but I think that I would prefer a fixed propane heater. The bulk of my adventures will be far from a power source other than sporadic generator use. I'm in that "you don't know what you don't know" scenario which I often turn into a bad initial purchase followed by a more informed one. So please offer your experience/advice so that I hopefully avoid the usual trap.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #8

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I had a guy make up all new cushions for me - but it wasn't cheap! I spent the $$ for really high quality foam, selected really nice fabrics, and had 'piping' made of contrasting fabric, had some extra pillows made, etc, so it did cost more than I originally budgeted. However I am totally satisfied!

I made my own patterns out of heavy Kraft paper, and the resulting cushions fit beautifully -tight enough when made into the bed that you don't sink into the joints. Since all Burros vary, I'd suggest you make new patterns for yours to get the right fit. Mine had pretty significant variation left side-to-right side, for example.

If you want the upholsterer's name, it's Dan - he's in Portland - DNDY DesigN - Home

He does absolutely fantastic work! The quality of the results will last for decades.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #9

Name: Trent
Oregon
I believe the previous owner of my 81
Burro 13' purchased the cushion covers directly from scamp. They work great and are a perfect fit.
Receo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #10

Name: Ming
Trailer: Burro 13
California
Hi Felix, we're also getting custom cushions made for our Burro but aren't sure what a good price would be. Would you mind telling us how much you paid for yours? Unfortunately we're in southern CA so we can't use your guy in Portland. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #11

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
David,
I have the Old cushions for my 1985 Burro 13 foot with a bunk bed/Couch in the barn if the squirrels mice and other little critters haven't made homes in it, They may be salvageable? When it warms up a little I will go and check on them for you If you want me to check send me a private message. (I'm in Kentucky)? The previous owner had Scamp made a whole new set of cushions for mine. I believe they have the measurements on record. A quick call or email would let you know and how much. As for the keys there was not a whole lot of different keys made I just checked all my old padlock keys until I found one that fit. You may have luck doing that.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicitch View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I'll be pulling the Bargman this weekend and taking it to the locksmith.
I did the same when I first bought my '83 Burro. The technique my locksmith used was to make a "bang key"... he ground the proper blank very thin and inserted it into the key way. By turning it hard against the tumblers he got the imprint of the various tumblers to get the necessary cut pattern. Once he got that trial key to work smoothly, he simply made several permanent keys from that pattern and the rest, as they say, is History! Make sure you take care of that Bargman lock as they are no longer made, thus very expensive to replace, and there is no direct modern replacement available that I am aware of.

It seems the door lock and hinges and the window frames (which can sometimes allow leaks between inner and outer walls to damage the floor) are the main points of concern with older Burros. I'm dreading redoing my front window on mine, but then the integrity of my outer shell will be complete! Why would anybody want to fool with a camper this size built out of wood and aluminum and have to constantly deal with all the potential seams and leaks it would bring with it!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #13

Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Window frame leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I did the same when I first bought my '83 Burro. The technique my locksmith used was to make a "bang key"... he ground the proper blank very thin and inserted it into the key way. By turning it hard against the tumblers he got the imprint of the various tumblers to get the necessary cut pattern. Once he got that trial key to work smoothly, he simply made several permanent keys from that pattern and the rest, as they say, is History! Make sure you take care of that Bargman lock as they are no longer made, thus very expensive to replace, and there is no direct modern replacement available that I am aware of.

It seems the door lock and hinges and the window frames (which can sometimes allow leaks between inner and outer walls to damage the floor) are the main points of concern with older Burros. I'm dreading redoing my front window on mine, but then the integrity of my outer shell will be complete! Why would anybody want to fool with a camper this size built out of wood and aluminum and have to constantly deal with all the potential seams and leaks it would bring with it!

Froggie
I didn't rework the front but did take out one of the rear window frames.
I used a Carpenter's pry bar with a towel to cushion the body from damage.
I used Butyl putty tape...putty on both sides..now window does not
leak. Only cost about $11 for 30' roll.
If this helps.
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro