1983 13 ft Burro - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Alice and Phil
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Bothell, WA
Posts: 2
We just purchased a 1983 13 foot Burro and we are trying to track down a source for accessories. Would like to add an awning and screen door.

Thank you,
Alice and Phil
__________________

__________________
Alice Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Member
 
Randy Dewey's Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro
Posts: 34
Quote:
We just purchased a 1983 13 foot Burro and we are trying to track down a source for accessories. Would like to add an awning and screen door.

Thank you,
Alice and Phil
Welcome to my world. I have an 85 13'. All I have been able to find is homeaid ones and/or expensive rv ones. The one that looked the most promising though was the Keltly deluxe tent. Just go to the Kelty site and it shows a piture of it. One of the discussions here also had a picture of it in use. Looked perfect.

And...just to save you some time, good luck finding replacement taillights if you need them. I ended up just replacing the internal parts (which I got from an auto parts store) and had to keep the existing faded ones.
__________________

__________________
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Alice and Phil
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Bothell, WA
Posts: 2
Quote:
Welcome to my world. I have an 85 13'. All I have been able to find is homeaid ones and/or expensive rv ones. The one that looked the most promising though was the Keltly deluxe tent. Just go to the Kelty site and it shows a piture of it. One of the discussions here also had a picture of it in use. Looked perfect.

And...just to save you some time, good luck finding replacement taillights if you need them. I ended up just replacing the internal parts (which I got from an auto parts store) and had to keep the existing faded ones.
Randy,

Thank you for the heads up on the taillights, so far they are in perfect condition, but we take her on her maiden voyage next weekend. With any luck she comes back in one piece! We have been tent dwellers and were lucky enough to stumble across the Burro a couple weekends ago. I love the simplicity and clean lines of the design.

I will check out Keltly.

Happy Camping!
__________________
Alice Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dave Mac's Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Posts: 186
Quote:
Welcome to my world. I have an 85 13'. All I have been able to find is homeaid ones and/or expensive rv ones. The one that looked the most promising though was the Keltly deluxe tent. Just go to the Kelty site and it shows a piture of it. One of the discussions here also had a picture of it in use. Looked perfect.

And...just to save you some time, good luck finding replacement taillights if you need them. I ended up just replacing the internal parts (which I got from an auto parts store) and had to keep the existing faded ones.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-112.htm
__________________
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
Tail lights?
I'm keeping my eyes peeled at car shows for some "Bitchin" 60.s Ford Thunderbird taillights. Saw some on a trailer and the're real cool with the chrome all polished.
Or match your existing tow.
__________________
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Tail lights?
I'm keeping my eyes peeled at car shows for some "Bitchin" 60.s Ford Thunderbird taillights. Saw some on a trailer and the're real cool with the chrome all polished.
Or match your existing tow.
Ford Thunderbird Taillights: The Birds Nest
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Myron Leski's Avatar
 
Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Posts: 664
Registry
Watch out for tail lights that look close but are not a match. My Burro's an '81 and here's a pix of the original tail lights that came with it.
Attached Thumbnails
reflectolite.gif  
__________________
Myron Leski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Penney H. & Mike E.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Posts: 388
Registry
Hello Alice,

We have had a 1987 13' Burro for ten years. We were naive when we bought it and inherited some real problems to fix, but have enjoyed it a lot since and hope you enjoy yours as much! We also live in WA and last week I saw a 13' Burro on the Olympic Peninsula, I have never seen one before in all our travels so wonder if it was you?!

I made a screen door "curtain" for ours but found we just never used it or felt the need for one. There is a web site with instructions on making a screen door for small trailers
http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/screendoor.html

We looked but never found an awning, we just use a tarp with pole legs out front.

All other parts we have had to replace we were able to find at the local RV store, most things seems interchangeable. Yes, the tail light was a challenge, we have one original round and one rectangular, makes our little Burro even more unique!

If you do live nearby would enjoy talking or emailing with you sometime - Burro owners seem rare! We met a couple with a new 17' model once at Mt. Adams. Hope your madian voyage was a good one!

Penney
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
OT: Welcome to FiberglassRV Penney & Mike! Keep in mind the Northern Oregon Gathering coming up in October, would love to meet you in person

Link to NOG, click HERE: Northern Oregon Gathering
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,530
Registry
If you buy the right screen house, you can have two for one. Our screen house serves as a screen door to keep the bugs at bay and works as an awning. We use it for our UHaul but also used it for our 13 foot Burro. It is high enough to permit the door to open inside it. It is made by Ozark and about 50 bucks at Walmart. Ours is blue but they seem to be brown now. You might check Walmart's web site. Here's a picture:

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
UHaul_2.rev.jpg  
__________________
1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, "The Egg Carton"
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Member
 
Randy Dewey's Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro
Posts: 34
Quote:
If you buy the right screen house, you can have two for one. Our screen house serves as a screen door to keep the bugs at bay and works as an awning. We use it for our UHaul but also used it for our 13 foot Burro. It is high enough to permit the door to open inside it. It is made by Ozark and about 50 bucks at Walmart. Ours is blue but they seem to be brown now. You might check Walmart's web site. Here's a picture:

CindyL
I like your screen house. Looks perfect. I especially like the price. Thanks for the heads up!
__________________
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Burro
Posts: 9
Quote:
We just purchased a 1983 13 foot Burro and we are trying to track down a source for accessories. Would like to add an awning and screen door.

Thank you,
Alice and Phil
Are there any Ideas out there on getting a rock guard for the front window on a burro! I would love one of those!
__________________
corey lossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Penney H. & Mike E.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Posts: 388
Registry
Hi Cory,
The Olympic Peninsula and Long Beach Peninsula are quite a distance away so it probably wasn't you I saw. It is fun to know there are Burro owners around, as I mentioned, in 10 years of owning our trailer we'd never seen a 13 footer and only one 17 footer until my "sighting" last week. Then yesterday we saw one in a storage yard in Port Angeles!

Doesn't your front window have a fiberglass awning that folds down over the window when traveling? If not you may be able to purchase that from the manufacturer. Ours does and it has held up to many a rocky road.
Penney
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
Member
 
Randy Dewey's Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro
Posts: 34
Quote:
Hi Cory,
The Olympic Peninsula and Long Beach Peninsula are quite a distance away so it probably wasn't you I saw. It is fun to know there are Burro owners around, as I mentioned, in 10 years of owning our trailer we'd never seen a 13 footer and only one 17 footer until my "sighting" last week. Then yesterday we saw one in a storage yard in Port Angeles!

Doesn't your front window have a fiberglass awning that folds down over the window when traveling? If not you may be able to purchase that from the manufacturer. Ours does and it has held up to many a rocky road.
Penney
No manufacturer. They are out of business. There have been some on this forum that said they built thier own.
__________________

__________________
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1983 Burro 13 foot Dana T Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 01-15-2010 02:45 AM
13' 1983 Burro Dana T Classified Archives 4 12-06-2009 11:36 PM
1983 Burro Axle James Bar. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 13 03-16-2009 12:51 AM
1983 Burro 13-Gila, NM - $3,000 Greg A Classified Archives 6 03-01-2009 09:29 AM
SOLD:1983 13ft Burro John Blizzard Classified Archives 2 02-21-2006 08:11 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.