1984 17' bigfoot door is sagging - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

Name: peter
Trailer: 1984 17’ Bigfoot
British Columbia
1984 17' bigfoot door is sagging

I have to lift the bottom of my door on the handle side to get it to latch. I dont see any way to adjust the hinges. can anybody please give me some advice?
Uncle Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #2

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
I had the same problem on my 21 Bigfoot. I first removed the glass and it was apparent that water had been getting into the door for some time. I removed the door from the RV and laid it down on a piece of plywood supported by sawhorses. Remove all the screws around the perimeter and the edge extrusions will come right off. Be careful not to bend them. My door was filled by solid foam panels with a softwood perimeter of 1/2 inch X 1 1/2 inch strips. They had rotted from the years of moisture from the leaking glass. I went to Lowes hardware store and they had red oak cut to the correct dimensions so it was easy. I used a brad nailer with 1 inch stainless steel brads at the corners of the wood and reinstalled the inner fiberglass panel and then the perimeter aluminum extrusions, being particularly careful about attention to square. After getting the frame square using a carpenter square, measure diagonally both ways to make sure it's right. If there is a slight discrepancy, make sure it is in the "too high" direction and not already in the sag direction. Once you are happy with the squaring, go ahead and screw it all back together. Mount it back on the RV and seal up the glass. I added an extra piece of Starboard to help keep the door from sagging and a place to mount a door holder. Good luck.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: peter
Trailer: 1984 17’ Bigfoot
British Columbia
thanks John, just what I was looking for.
Uncle Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I had the same problem with my 1994 17 Bigfoot. The entire bottom of the frame was rotten. I did a similar fix like Travelin2 described. One additional word of caution here. Before you spend a lot of time and effort making sure the door is perfectly square. make sure the frame is also square.

Other forum members have solved the problem with a complete new door and frame replacement. Last I looked, a new door and frame was about $500.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #5

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Uncle Pen....I forgot to mention that you will have to remove the latch mechanism to get the door panel off.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
My door 1993 13' "Lil Bigfoot" was rotten at the bottom rail and up on the stiles. Mine was made of poplar. I replaced all wooden parts. I drilled water exit holes in the bottom aluminum frame in case of future water entrance. water was in the door when I took it apart. When I put a framing square on the trailer door frame it was out of square. done during assembly. The threshold had a skid ( wedge ) to raise the door when shutting it. The skid lifted the door up about a quarter of an inch. I bet all Bigfoot trailers of this period are rotten inside. Poorly Engineered.

Later Kenny.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
My door 1993 13' "Lil Bigfoot" was rotten at the bottom rail and up on the stiles. Mine was made of poplar. I replaced all wooden parts. I drilled water exit holes in the bottom aluminum frame in case of future water entrance. water was in the door when I took it apart. When I put a framing square on the trailer door frame it was out of square. done during assembly. The threshold had a skid ( wedge ) to raise the door when shutting it. The skid lifted the door up about a quarter of an inch. I bet all Bigfoot trailers of this period are rotten inside. Poorly Engineered.

Later Kenny.
Yes, the door with enclosed wood that can rot after time is not the best design, but almost all trailers used this door. The door was not made by Bigfoot.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot