1985 Scamp 16 - ? shocks / brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Currently learning
Minnesota
Smile 1985 Scamp 16 - ? shocks / brakes

Good day !

I purchased a 16ft Scamp this spring and thanks to all of your posts transformed the inside. You'all made this easier and almost fun.

When attached to the van the back end is low. Looking for advice about shocks, the dealer is researching air shocks but on the forum Ranchero RS900XL shocks were also recommended. Any recommendation on which would be better or not? or something else all together?

Also looked under the trailer and there are wires that come from inside the middle of the trailer and go the the back of the rim where the breaks are.
I tried to up load a photo...

Any feedback is much appreciated. Please excuse this very basic question from a newbie.
Thanks Kathy
epicmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It would help to know year, make, and model of the van and its towing capacities from your owner's manual.

Also, following a major restoration project it's a very good idea to get the trailer weighed (including hitch weight, axle weight, and total weight). You need to know how much weight you're actually putting on the back of your van.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicmom2 View Post

Also looked under the trailer and there are wires that come from inside the middle of the trailer and go the the back of the rim where the breaks are.
I tried to up load a photo...

Any feedback is much appreciated. Please excuse this very basic question from a newbie.
Thanks Kathy

Are you asking does the trailer have brakes as you can see a wire?

Perhaps.

Brake wiring is normally blue. You will have/need a seven pin wiring harness on the trailer to go with it. The photo below is the wiring harness diagram for the older Scamps.

To see if you actually have a functioning brake assembly on the trailer you will need to take the tires off the trailer - which you should do if you have not already done so to pack and or replace the wheel bearings before towing it.

If the brake assemble appears to be original & very rusty I recommend purchasing a whole new one. Items such as springs may be just waiting to fail/break. You can buy a new dexter brake assemble through most auto parts shops - just take in your old one for them to have a reference as to what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Wire Diagram Scamp.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I would consider Airlift or Monroe air shocks for the van. You did nit say what kind of van and we assume you are talking about it and not the rear of the trailer.
If you have a 1986 Scamp the axle is probably a 2500 lb AL-KO unit and is most likely dead as well and is riding low.
I replaced mine with a 3000 lb Flexiride unit and it has adjustable trailing arms so that the ride height can be adjusted. My 1986 was sagging a good bit and I wanted the adjustability. The brakes were 7" and 4 bolt hubs. The later axles with brakes are 10" and 5 bolt driving a change in wheels and tires from 13" to 14" (remember the adjustability?)

Let us be sure what end you are asking about.

Thanks,
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I added air-lift suspension components to our Dodge Dakota 2 months ago before our 9500 mile trip, they help restore the ride height to where it should be, rather than sagging.
They were a fairly easy do-it-yourself project and I use a bicycle pump to keep the air pressure where I need it.
If you are actually talking about the back of the Scamp being low, then that could be remedied by using a drawbar on your van that has a drop to it that would allow the front of the Scamp to be lowered and the rear to rise.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, scamp