1987 17.5' Bigfoot Value? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Name: Johnny
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17.5'
Texas
1987 17.5' Bigfoot Value?

I bought this last year for a deer lease camper but decided I need something bigger. Can anyone help me with a possible value? It does have a roof a/c and a bathroom with toilet and shower.
Attached Thumbnails
bigfoot1.jpg   bigfoot3.jpg  

bigfoot6.jpg   bigfoot7.jpg  

TxBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are two values for anything. What the seller will accept and what a buyer is willing to pay.

It's up to the two parties to decide value.

AND, there's location, location and location. PLUS maintenance, maintenance, maintenance for any all molded towable.

IS the trailer in tip-top shape (clean, all appliances work as they should?) etc., etc., etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com
has an extensive archive of past sales. It'd give you something to go on. As Donna says, note location and season as well as age and condition. And, of course, the prices are asking prices, not actual sale prices.

There are archives on this site, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are two values for anything. What the seller will accept and what a buyer is willing to pay.

It's up to the two parties to decide value.

AND, there's location, location and location. PLUS maintenance, maintenance, maintenance for any all molded towable.

IS the trailer in tip-top shape (clean, all appliances work as they should?) etc., etc., etc.
Yes, I understand this as it is the same whether a camper, boat, car/truck, atv or just about anything. The value always comes down to what two parties will agree on. I ask here because this group seems to be more knowledgeable on the topic than most.
The trailer is in good to very good shape. The only appliance I have yet to use is the furnace as the roof mount a/c offers heat as well so I never attempted to light it. Other than that all the appliances work.
I bought it from a retired state trooper that use to travel back and forth to Canada alot and that's where he bought it. There are very few down here and it's the only one I have ever seen.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Janet
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
I'm interested if I can afford. Live in East Texas.
SCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBigfoot View Post
... I ask here because this group seems to be more knowledgeable on the topic than most...
And what we know is that there are too many variables to appraise a nearly-30-year-old trailer without a careful first-hand inspection. I have seen Bigfoots around that age offered anywhere from under $5K to over $12K, with $8-10K fairly typical.

But there is really no substitute for doing your homework: pull up comps in the classified archives here and at the other site I linked, make some comparative judgments about condition, upgrades, location, and season, and set your asking price accordingly.

Know that now is typically the slow season. The market tends to start heating up again around March or April.

Just wondering... I was under the impression the 17.5 designation was used for later 2500-series versions, while older 1500-series units were designated as 17s. Yours appears to be a 1500. But I am no Bigfoot expert...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Jon
You caught that too. 17.5' (2500) models replaced the 17' (1500) models in approximately 2006. Note that my 2002 is still a 17'.

Your spread on the value seems about right.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
TxBigfoot, You have a very nice trailer. Jon gave you some accurate price information. The high end (12K) would be a trailer where everything worked and was camping ready and the low end (5K) would be for one that needed some work. From the pictures, it looks like there was an awning with the trailer at one time and I can't tell if the original drop axle has been changed to a straight axle. If you have an awning, your trailer is worth a little more. If the axle has been changed it would be a plus to some buyers. I think the microwave might have been added. Do you have a vent fan over the stove ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
BTW, you have a Gaucho model, as opposed to the Center Bath, CB, model that both Jack and I have. Mainly just a different layout.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
TxBigfoot, You have a very nice trailer. Jon gave you some accurate price information. The high end (12K) would be a trailer where everything worked and was camping ready and the low end (5K) would be for one that needed some work. From the pictures, it looks like there was an awning with the trailer at one time and I can't tell if the original drop axle has been changed to a straight axle. If you have an awning, your trailer is worth a little more. If the axle has been changed it would be a plus to some buyers. I think the microwave might have been added. Do you have a vent fan over the stove ?
Thanks. There was an awning with it at one time but not since I've owned it. I dont know anything about there possibly being a drop axle but it is a straight axle now. I also think the microwave was added but there is no vent fan. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Washington
The fact that the fiberglass cover over the propane tanks is still in good shape is also a plus. Best of success with your sale.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

Name: I.
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Big Foot

Hi,
Where are you located in Texas?
Lou
x2uol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2uol View Post
Hi,
Where are you located in Texas?
Lou
Near Beaumont.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
BTW, you have a Gaucho model, as opposed to the Center Bath, CB, model that both Jack and I have. Mainly just a different layout.

Walt
Both the CB and Gaucho sell for similar prices. The Gaucho is also sometimes called a RB (rear bath). model.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #15

Texas
Sold. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Well done! Someone got a super-nice trailer!

Tags
bigfoot