1991 16ft Scamp water heater blows black smoke - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Scamp
Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me out!! I own a 1991 16ft Scamp. I just recently tried to light the water heater for the first time and to my surprise it blows black smoke. It completely covered the side of my Scamp with black soot! What a mess, it did come clean but does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening. We are getting ready for our last camp of the season for a family Halloween camp at the Pinery in Grandbend, ON and were really hoping to be able to have access to hot water for the trip. Has anyone ever had this happen?? Please help, we leave on the Thursday of this week! Thank you in advance for any info. you can send my way.
Sincerely, Jim
Janine & Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me out!! I own a 1991 16ft Scamp. I just recently tried to light the water heater for the first time and to my surprise it blows black smoke. It completely covered the side of my Scamp with black soot!
Sincerely, Jim
It sounds like the burner air mixture openings are obstructed. It could be a spider web or some debris obstructing the air passages.
At the end of the burner where the flame comes outof the burner it is usually surrounded with a collar with holes in it and it is secured to the burner with a small screw.
This collar is used to adjust the air/propane mixture. The flame should burn a clear blue.
Carefully and gently clean off the end of the burner and make sure the air vents are clear.
The interior of the heat exchanger is undoubtedly covered with soot so it should also be cleaned after you have the flame adjusted.

Hope this helps,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Scamp
Thank you soo much for the advice. I will certainly give it try.
Jim
Janine & Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp