1992 Bigfoot Trailer Specs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1992 17 ft Bigfoot
We have found a 17foot Bigfoot which we are extremely interested in however, the owner's knowledge about the trailer is extremely limited. Can anyone tell us what the actual dry weight of this trailer is?

We would be towing it with either a 2008 3.0L V6 Ford Escape or a 2000 4.0L V6 Ford Explorer Sport.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated as we are new to the trailer market!!

Thanks.
Marianne B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
We have found a 17foot Bigfoot which we are extremely interested in however, the owner's knowledge about the trailer is extremely limited. Can anyone tell us what the actual dry weight of this trailer is?

We would be towing it with either a 2008 3.0L V6 Ford Escape or a 2000 4.0L V6 Ford Explorer Sport.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated as we are new to the trailer market!!

Thanks.
We have a 1995 17 ft. Bigfoot, and the sticker inside the closet from the factory says it weighs 2,394 pounds dry ( that means not a drop of water or propane in the tanks- totally empty.) Also, the tongue weight is stated at 230 pounds. Hope this helps you out. We pull ours with a 2005- Toyota Tundra pickup with a V8. If the trailer you are looking at has air conditioning that would add another 100 pounds +/-.
Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 77 Trilliun 4500
Quote:

Thanks.
we haul our 15 ft Trillium with a 3,0|L Mazda B-3000 ( Ranger)
Mic Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Quote:
we haul our 15 ft Trillium with a 3,0|L Mazda B-3000 ( Ranger)
Hi We just purchased a 1988 Bigfoot I think it does depend alot on the year I know the older models which I think the mould changed in the late 90,s all weighed in at around 17 to 1800 Dry ,We pull are Bigfoot with a 1999 Windstar used to own a Boler so my van does know it is pulling something bigger,but if you have an Explorer to pull it with it will have know problem ,When we do go on a long trip holiday we will be pulling with a V8 also, What year is your Bigfoot, anyway happy camping and towing.
Rick and THE BC BIGFOOT...
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Hi We just purchased a 1988 Bigfoot I think it does depend alot on the year I know the older models which I think the mould changed in the late 90,s all weighed in at around 17 to 1800 Dry ,We pull are Bigfoot with a 1999 Windstar used to own a Boler so my van does know it is pulling something bigger,but if you have an Explorer to pull it with it will have know problem ,When we do go on a long trip holiday we will be pulling with a V8 also, What year is your Bigfoot, anyway happy camping and towing.
Rick and THE BC BIGFOOT...
Hi all...
We bought an 89 Bigfoot(Gaucho) 17 ft. Deluxe. earlier this Spring, and only had to tow it home for about 5 miles.No problem. Have not had it out on the road since...working out some issues ! Our tow is a 2004 Ranger 4x4 auto 3.73, with 4.0 L V6, and factory towing/cooling pkg.
Anyone else towing a 17 ft Bigfoot with a Ranger ? How does it handle your BF?
We got the Equ. hitch in the deal, but didn't use it for the short tow home. Pr. owner said he noticed a poitive improvement with it, if he towed while water tank( holding, also ??) at back was full/near full. He towed with a full sizP/U
Any advice on the use/benefits of the Equ. hitch ?
Thanx for any/all comments
Joe
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 17.5 ft Bigfoot
Hi all. We have an early 80's 17fter and i believe it is around 18-1900 lbs. dry weight. We have a 2002 Nissan Frontier with a 3.3L V6 and have had no issues with towing so far. Of course we are not trying to beat everyone to where we are going but we can do 90 to 100 kmph with no problems. As far as the equalizer hitch i would definitely use it. It pulls much better.

John.
John Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Quote:
Hi all...
We bought an 89 Bigfoot(Gaucho) 17 ft. Deluxe. earlier this Spring, and only had to tow it home for about 5 miles.No problem. Have not had it out on the road since...working out some issues ! Our tow is a 2004 Ranger 4x4 auto 3.73, with 4.0 L V6, and factory towing/cooling pkg.
Anyone else towing a 17 ft Bigfoot with a Ranger ? How does it handle your BF?
We got the Equ. hitch in the deal, but didn't use it for the short tow home. Pr. owner said he noticed a poitive improvement with it, if he towed while water tank( holding, also ??) at back was full/near full. He towed with a full sizP/U
Any advice on the use/benefits of the Equ. hitch ?
Thanx for any/all comments
Joe
Hi Joe when you put your Bigfoot on your explorer does it the explorer go down if it does that is when the equalizer hitch will make everything even trailer and tow vehicle my Windstar I have to put 6 links I have coil springs but I think an Explorer has leaf springs so you will have to use much less links but you will have to experiment.
Rick....
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Thanks.
Marianne, by about 2002 (or so) Bigfoot was putting an "as equipped" weight sticker in the trailer. Prior to that, though, the "dry weight" as advertised may have been just the shell and frame with cabinets built in. That woudn't even have included cushions, empty propane bottles, or any options like air conditioning and furnaces. To further complicate the issue, individual manufacturers may have changed what "dry weight" meant from year to year, or even within a model year if they reprinted their sales literature.

Without that "as equipped" sticker, the only true way to know what your trailer weighs is to take it to a scale and have it weighed.

That said, as an educated guesstimate, your '92 15B17G or CB would probably weigh just under or right at 2,800 lbs "dry", and "as equipped" for the road.

As far as what you can tow, you'll have to check the manuals for both of your vehicles, as the engine displacement alone really doesn't have much to do with tow capacity.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Marianne, by about 2002 (or so) Bigfoot was putting an "as equipped" weight sticker in the trailer. Prior to that, though, the "dry weight" as advertised may have been just the shell and frame with cabinets built in. That woudn't even have included cushions, empty propane bottles, or any options like air conditioning and furnaces. To further complicate the issue, individual manufacturers may have changed what "dry weight" meant from year to year, or even within a model year if they reprinted their sales literature.

Without that "as equipped" sticker, the only true way to know what your trailer weighs is to take it to a scale and have it weighed.

That said, as an educated guesstimate, your '92 15B17G or CB would probably weigh just under or right at 2,800 lbs "dry", and "as equipped" for the road.

As far as what you can tow, you'll have to check the manuals for both of your vehicles, as the engine displacement alone really doesn't have much to do with tow capacity.

Roger
I don't know why the emphasis on the dry weight ; don't we tow loaded with propane , some water, food, cooking hardware, clothing and such ? Yes , granted, empty weight is important but the actual towed weight is most important. Rough total weight in this size trailer I would use is empty weight plus about 1500 lbs additional addded weight should come to ballpark. The 4 litre engine with automatic will be a much better motor for towing
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #10

Name: terryjan
Trailer: 2005 17'Bigfoot CB Since Aug 2017
British Columbia
Re 17ft Bigfoot trailer weight

Bought a 2005 17ft Bigfoot trailer a couple of months back.
Trying to find the weight. Theres so many variables the only way is to take to the weigh scale which we did.
OK, 2005 17ft CB bigfoot trailer. insulated, Large fridge-stove, furnace, hot water heater. We have removed the 3burner stove with oven (55lb Approx)also both propane tanks. We use a 2 burner coleman propane which we can easily use outside in hot weather. Have drained all the tanks and had maybe 3gal water in bottles.
TOTAL WEIGHT ON GOVT SCALE 3400lb
Which surprised me as new 2017 are around 3900lb ??
Anyway hope this helps someone.
Terry
terryjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #11

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
I believe you!

I just bought a 2004 15B17cb last week with all the bells and whistles. Bigfoot claims it is 3020lbs with 270lb being the add on stuff. After 35 gallons of water and full propane tanks, Bigfoot claims there is 140 lbs left of "carrying capacity". It feels way heavier to me and it came with bent axle. I am going to go to the gravel pit and have it weighed this week and see what it really weighs. I think 2005 is year they beefed up axle from 3500lb to 4500lb. I am having a 6000lb axle installed in couple weeks to fix the bent axle, upgrade brake to 12", bigger bearings and peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjan View Post
Bought a 2005 17ft Bigfoot trailer a couple of months back.
Trying to find the weight. Theres so many variables the only way is to take to the weigh scale which we did.
OK, 2005 17ft CB bigfoot trailer. insulated, Large fridge-stove, furnace, hot water heater. We have removed the 3burner stove with oven (55lb Approx)also both propane tanks. We use a 2 burner coleman propane which we can easily use outside in hot weather. Have drained all the tanks and had maybe 3gal water in bottles.
TOTAL WEIGHT ON GOVT SCALE 3400lb
Which surprised me as new 2017 are around 3900lb ??
Anyway hope this helps someone.
Terry
mcmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:30 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
I have a 92 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho model and it weight ready to go 2 propane tank and a battery but water empty 2,900 pounds : 2600 on axle and 300 on hitch
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot