1996 Scamp 5th Wheel rear window - what was standard? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 5th Wheel Standard
Texas
1996 Scamp 5th Wheel rear window - what was standard?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the standard rear window on the 1996 Scamp 5th wheel was? My new (to me) toy has a plastic window held in by a rubber gasket. The factory thought it had come with a slider.

I have a pretty serious leak in the back and the window is a prime suspect, but not the only one. There is also a sloppy fiberglass patch job above the window on one side, and part of it does extend to the gasket. Quite a few of the rivets on top are missing their caps. I have seen a lot of posts by people dealing with leaks, and will review them again this weekend! I am glad this resource exists.

Thanks,
-KarenP
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the standard rear window on the 1996 Scamp 5th wheel was? My new (to me) toy has a plastic window held in by a rubber gasket. The factory thought it had come with a slider.

I have a pretty serious leak in the back and the window is a prime suspect, but not the only one. There is also a sloppy fiberglass patch job above the window on one side, and part of it does extend to the gasket. Quite a few of the rivets on top are missing their caps. I have seen a lot of posts by people dealing with leaks, and will review them again this weekend! I am glad this resource exists.

Thanks,
-KarenP
The good news is that it is an easy task to remove the window and replace the gasket after making sure that the mating surface is fixed.
That is assuming the window is stock. Do you have pictures?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
if I was betting, I would bet it originally came with slider. I have a 16 ft !996 standard and it has a slider
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The good news is that it is an easy task to remove the window and replace the gasket after making sure that the mating surface is fixed.
That is assuming the window is stock. Do you have pictures?
I've got a few pictures - let's see if I can include them here:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1126.JPG   IMG_1127.JPG  

IMG_1131.JPG  
Old 07-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I've got a few pictures - let's see if I can include them here:
I have a tendency to agree with Hambone. From what I can see in your pictures, the trailer has a flattened boss area for the purpose of installing a slider. Perhaps something impacted the trailer and broke the window and damaged the fiberglass, and someone saw this as a less expensive solution.
Actually the slider would not be outrageously expensive or more difficult to install. Measure the opening and call Scamp. I think they will be able to determine the correct window.
I see you are in Austin (Texas I assume), Have you considered getting out of the heat and visiting Minnesota? Scamp could fix the fiberglass and install the new window and have you on your way in a timely manner and at a competitive price. If not they could send the slider to you.
First though, if you don't mind, could we see a picture of the whole window from straight on?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

Texas
I would love to get out of the heat! But I have a big trip north and west planned for three weeks from now, so that will have to do.

I think having a slider would be nicer.

Here's the whole window. You can see the shelter I am putting up so I can remove the window if I need to. Just in case it ever rains again!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1132.JPG  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I would love to get out of the heat! But I have a big trip north and west planned for three weeks from now, so that will have to do.

I think having a slider would be nicer.

Here's the whole window. You can see the shelter I am putting up so I can remove the window if I need to. Just in case it ever rains again!
Thanks for the picture, judging from what I can see {wish you were here} I would say that the damaged area is likely the source of the leak,but the the bossed area does not appear to be seriously compromised. My guess is that you still have two options ...
1] Remove the window and check for the dirty area where it leaked, fix it and reinstall the window.
2] replace the window with a stock slider from Scamp. It has a rigid frame which would cause the two surfaces to conform more profoundly

Another point which occurs to me is that you might have the right gasket but that the plexiglass may be thinner than stock, that would definitely be conducive to leaks.
Option two would be my suggestion, the flange on the slider has a wide coverage area and would likely make for a pretty forgiving, leak proof installation.
If I were in person, I could be completely sure, but seeing it from 800 miles away, it is conjecture.
If you choose option one, buy a new gasket and confirm the plexiglass thickness,
Over all, my guess is that the window was ordered that way and subsequently damaged, but that would not likely preclude the installation of the slider.
Best of luck, it will be worth the effort and soon forgotten.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And here I was going to say I'd bet it was plexi original. I believe this year (and others) of Scamp trailers the rear sliding window was an option. My trailer is older, a 1988, but has a flat spot for a slider window but has solid plexi from the factory.

You can replace to a slider, since your year Scamp has a flat back rear window area. You'll need to have measurements. Windows are as cheap from Scamp as anywhere... except maybe eBay.

If you decide to stay with the plexi, Scamp sells the gasket and lockstrip. Just make sure you have a lockstrip tool when you reinstall the window. The tool is around $15 and makes the job soooo much easier!

Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #9

Texas
Thanks everyone! So it seems I need to remove the window to a. see if there is an obvious entry point for water, and b. get the actual rough opening dimensions in the event that I need to order a new window. Do you think I will be able to reinstall the plexi at least as a temporary measure with the existing gasket? I have to move the trailer in a week or so to have some work done on it, and I don't want to do that if there is no rear window. Plus if I need to or decide to order a new one, it will take a while to deliver. I've got a little less than three weeks to get everything done! Yikes!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Karen, since I have a flat back Scamp with the solid plexi window and want a slider. I measured from the OUTSIDE width of the gasket and the INSIDE width of the gasket before I called Scamp for a window. I have it, just haven't put it in yet. I know it's going to fit just fine. When I received the window, I held it up in place... perfect fit. YMMV

On edit: a place the gasket always seems to like to leak is where it's seamed. Is there a gap there on yours? If so, fill with black windshield caulk and it MAY stop the leak.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone! So it seems I need to remove the window to a. see if there is an obvious entry point for water, and b. get the actual rough opening dimensions in the event that I need to order a new window. Do you think I will be able to reinstall the plexi at least as a temporary measure with the existing gasket? I have to move the trailer in a week or so to have some work done on it, and I don't want to do that if there is no rear window. Plus if I need to or decide to order a new one, it will take a while to deliver. I've got a little less than three weeks to get everything done! Yikes!
The window gaskets harden with age, which might make it difficult to reuse. a local automotive glass place can probably supply the gasket, but if you are going with the slider it would be best just to wait, since it uses a flange and not a rubber gasket.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #12

Name: Craig
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Ontario
Registry
I just got the slider for the back of my Boler from Scamp, it was $160.00. It comes with all the gaskets to install it as well.
psyber_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp