2 issues with our 92 Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Todd
California
2 issues with our 92 Scamp 13

We are continuing to enjoy our new to us Scamp. There are 2 little issues that are bugging me and wondering if the forum can help.

First, I can't for the life of me get the propane tank to attach to the tongue. I have the Scamp straps as seen on their site but can't get these to work with the curvature of a standard propane tank. Any ideas here? Looking at others, it looks like Scamps use a traditional size propane tank.

In addition to this our Scamp uses copper piping to deliver the propane inside the trailer. Unlike what I see on the Scamp site, we don't have a connector on the outside of the trailer just a little hole where the piping passes through. I want to change this out to a flexible hose. I suppose I could just cut the piping at the entrance to the trailer and add a connector on bot sides but wanted to check here for thoughts.

Outside of this, all is well! Thanks in advance for the help...

Nor_Cal_Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Todd View Post
We are continuing to enjoy our new to us Scamp. There are 2 little issues that are bugging me and wondering if the forum can help.

First, I can't for the life of me get the propane tank to attach to the tongue. I have the Scamp straps as seen on their site but can't get these to work with the curvature of a standard propane tank. Any ideas here? Looking at others, it looks like Scamps use a traditional size propane tank.

In addition to this our Scamp uses copper piping to deliver the propane inside the trailer. Unlike what I see on the Scamp site, we don't have a connector on the outside of the trailer just a little hole where the piping passes through. I want to change this out to a flexible hose. I suppose I could just cut the piping at the entrance to the trailer and add a connector on bot sides but wanted to check here for thoughts.

Outside of this, all is well! Thanks in advance for the help...

fortunately your two problems are simple to remedy.
You can buy a simple bulkhead fitting,the regulator with the hose attached, and a variety of tank holders at any RV dealer.
will need a shorter length of tubing .... you could shorten the one you have and single flare the cut end [or have it done] .
As copper tubing gets old it gets harder and less flexible, so it might be wise to replace the tubing up to the first fitting inside the trailer you MUST use tubing rated for gas[ the cheaper water rated tubing can't handle beiing flared], you can safely reuse the flare nuts if they are fine. be sure and snoop all connections while under pressure when done.
none of this is very labor intensive , so if you are not confident you shouldn't have to pay too much labor.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Nor Cal Todd I am a bit confussed by what do you mean by adding a connector on both sides?

Sounds to me like all you are missing is the gas regulator that will come with a flex hose that attaches to the tank and the hose that runs from the regulator to the copper pipe coming out at the front of the trailer. You can buy from scamp or any RV store. Scamp sells the additional flex hose that goes from the regulator to the copper piping at the trailer entrance - and the specs are shown here: Gas Tank Hose . If you don't have a fitting on the copper pipe coming out the trailer I would get someone who knows what they are doing with gas and get them to put one on. I'm a chicken when working on things on the trailer that can go bang! Rather than using the flex hose to the trailer connection some people do add a connection to the cooper piping coming out of the front area and extend it directly to the regulator - thats what mine has - on mine the only flex hose is from the regulator to the tank - suspect just adding the flex hose from the regulator to the trailer entrance point would be a lot easier for DIY.

re the trouble with securing your tank. Could you put up a photo of the area and the connections you have and the tank? So that people have a better idea as to what the issue may be. The reason I say that is that there seems to be a number of different configurations as far as tank attachments go on Scamps - mine has one that appears to be a way different than any of the others I have seen - suspect previous owner had it made up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp