2 Propane tank to 1 conversion. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #61

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Even easier KISS, keep what you've got connected, keep an empty tank on one side and only use the other one....nothing to buy .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Even easier KISS, keep what you've got connected, keep an empty tank on one side and only use the other one....nothing to buy .

Makes sense to me. Nothing done that needs to be reversed.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #63

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Interesting Amy .
I want to run my collapsible propane grill off my propane tanks so I don’t have to buy the expensive little cyllinders. Is there a there an existing thread that describes the fittings required to do this?
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #64

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
Interesting Amy .
I want to run my collapsible propane grill off my propane tanks so I don’t have to buy the expensive little cyllinders. Is there a there an existing thread that describes the fittings required to do this?
I found this, I think you should ask there they seem to use T fitting etc.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ank-54474.html

If you have 2 tanks already it might be wise to dedicate 1 for the inside and the other for the outside grills like Jon in AZ suggested?
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
Interesting Amy .
you can find these at most any well stocked hardware store, or RV store, or whatever...

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Propan...dp/B073KV4WLJ/

big end goes on your 20 lb RV bottle, small end fits where the little green bottle would normally be. voila, done.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #66

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
I did this exact conversion on my 16' Airstream for tongue weight savings. I put 2 AGM Golf Cart batteries on the tongue for extra power when dry camping and wanted to offset a portion of the tongue weight gain.

The most common mount for a single cylinder is one like this
https://www.hannarv.com/P/23451/Prop...ottleMountingR

I highly recommend you change over to a two stage single regulator like this one https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Two-S...CE6CFAD1267EAA

And a tool-less connector like this one
https://www.rvautoparts.com/Marshall...CABEgJuOvD_BwE

With my project, I decided to use a Viking Cylinder and made my own mount from poly lumber, stainless steel screws, and ROK straps. My propane cylinder stays secure yet can be removed from the trailer tongue in about 15 seconds

pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #67

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrisetrucker View Post
My question to you is "WHY."
Two tanks are better than one.
Good question if you are boondockers. We own a 17SD Casita and in 8 years of camping in it have never run out of propane and have never used even a whole tank of propane in one season. We keep dutifully carrying two full tanks around and the OP's question causes me to wonder why. We rarely boondock or camp where there is no power. We love our Vornado electric heater for it's quietness. Yes, it can run during the night without waking us. So, all we are doing is adding to an already heavy tongue load for no actual benefit. I think I may just start carrying one full and the second tank with about one gallon of propane just for safety's sake.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #68

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Ed View Post
Good question if you are boondockers. We own a 17SD Casita and in 8 years of camping in it have never run out of propane and have never used even a whole tank of propane in one season. We keep dutifully carrying two full tanks around and the OP's question causes me to wonder why. We rarely boondock or camp where there is no power. We love our Vornado electric heater for it's quietness. Yes, it can run during the night without waking us. So, all we are doing is adding to an already heavy tongue load for no actual benefit. I think I may just start carrying one full and the second tank with about one gallon of propane just for safety's sake.
Yes, especially if you are always hooked up I don’t see the benefit BUT please be aware that tongue weigh is VERY important so whatever your rig weighs you have to make sure It’s between 10-15% of it on the tongue. Just as long as that’s covered, you’ll get more gas mileage if you don’t have that extra weigh

Also, I come from van dwelling. When I was young with no kids. There was never no need for propane tanks in the first place so it makes me VERY uneasy carrying these 2 tanks especially with 2 kids and a dog. I know it’s safe but I’ve been boondocking for years without tanks so It just comes down to each their own in the end. Everybody’s needs are different

I also want to add the benefit of boondocking so maybe more people will try it out?

I lay my yoga mat and do yoga first thing in the morning with a 360 of THAT tremendous VIEW surrounding me, can you imagine doing that every morning in a camp ground? The “looks” you’ll get...

My kids and I can lay outside on a blanket at night and look up at the stars and talk for hours, hushing and listening to the wild sounds, imagine doing that on a campground, ppl will be like they have a camper!! Use it!! Lol

After roasting marshmallows we use the sticks light it up with fire and write art or words flinging it around and do guessing games. Imagine doing THAT in a campground we’d get called on too dangerous!! You’re going to catch everything on fire!! What kind of parent are you?! Hahahaaaaa!! So yeah campsites aren’t for us
Old 06-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #69

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
....you have to make sure there’s at least 10-15% of it on the tongue. ...
should have been....

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
....you have to make sure there’s between 10-15% of it on the tongue. ...
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #70

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
should have been....
Noted, changed it!
Old 06-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #71

ME
I just wanted to add, that my setup is not for everybody I completely understand. But I live in Maine where feets and feet’s of snow pile up in the winter. Not having black/grey water tanks and hot water heaters is a god send because it eliminates the need for winterizing the pipes etc. if I lived down south I probably would have bought a 16 scamp with all the amenities and don’t have to worry about winterization and totally understand people who do have the setup. But when you live where EVERYTHING freezes to death it’s just more convenient if you keep it simple especially for LAZY people like me

I took off the tank and the plate and YES there already was placements on the tongue to convert it to one tank!! THANK YOU SCAMP!!
So, I am leaving just 1 tank on but leave the hookup of 2 tanks

Thank you all again for helping me figure this all out!! Happy camping everyone!!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #72

ME
Also this is what I was talking about if there’s any people who don’t have shower hookups. But instead of a hose spray I would HIGHLY recommend this shower spray it costs WAY more but it’s TOTALLY worth it because you can get twice the water amount!!

https://www.amazon.com/Oxygenics-264...70_&dpSrc=srch

Plastic ones are cheaper!

https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-Whi...70_&dpSrc=srch

Seriously best thing evaaaa!!

Ps don’t forget to use biodegradable soap!!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #73

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
i wish those shower heads had a trigger valve, rather than push-pull for on-off.

actually, what I'd really like in the inside shower is a foot pedal valve!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #74

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i
actually, what I'd really like in the inside shower is a foot pedal valve!
Just make it yourself, it is not a rocket science.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #75

ME
Also people with dogs, this has been VERY useful for us. My dog stopped barking altogether because I was so adamant when we were on campgrounds and poor thing she NEVER barks while camping now so we gave her this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769WH8F2..._sxdkBbAJCFYF9

When she needs to go potty she just rings it. When we drive too long she sometimes gets tummy problems so isn’t consistent in her potty schedule and she used to bark a short bark to tell us but since she doesn’t bark any more this has been great.

She does bark at home to let her out so I think she knows it’s a no no inside the camper lol

It’s just great because I don’t have to keep checking especially when raining outside when her tummy isn’t feeling well, she’ll let us know
Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #76

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
How are you going to keep the solar generator charged? If you are just going out for a few days, I can see it working; but how about a 2 week or longer stay?

That's the problem I'm trying to figure out. Not enough roof space for all the needed solar panels and putting out several portable panels is worse than filling a propane tank for me.

You could go with a more efficient refrigerator, but it will be difficult to find one that fits in the same space. I'm thinking about putting one in my van (Tow vehicle).
I found one!! It has great reviews and it fits in the same place! It also has a FREEZER!!! WOOHOOO ICE CREAM!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

It even comes in stainless steel if you're into that

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...rd-50-_-137363

This will run no problem with solar!!

Tags
propane