2 Propane tank to 1 conversion. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
2 Propane tank to 1 conversion.

I tried searching but I could not find it, maybe I'm doing it wrong? If there is already a post please steer me to it!

I have 2 propane tanks and I want to convert it to just 1 tank.

Question 1) The 2 tanks are on a white base plate with a rod going up the middle. Do I take this all off and place the tank in the middle directly on the tongue with no base?

Question 2) There are 2 hoses coming out with a valve you turn to make either open and the other close. Can I just take off the hose and keep the valve open on 1 side where it will be open all the time?

Or do I need to purchase everything from scratch to make it into a 1 tank layout?

Thank you in advance!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
My question to you is "WHY."
Two tanks are better than one.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrisetrucker View Post

Especially when the tank feeding the furnace runs out in the middle of the cold, windy and wet night, an hour from a filling station.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
Question 1) The 2 tanks are on a white base plate with a rod going up the middle. Do I take this all off and place the tank in the middle directly on the tongue with no base?
You should rest the tank on a tray for stability and to prevent frame rust. If the tank rests on enough of the frame to be stable, it might work without a tray. You do need a means however of securing the tank - a tie down belt, strap or bracket. Whatever method you use to secure it, make sure it's strong.
Quote:
Question 2) There are 2 hoses coming out with a valve you turn to make either open and the other close. Can I just take off the hose and keep the valve open on 1 side where it will be open all the time?
The "valve you turn to make either open..." is actually an automatic changeover pressure regulator. You need a pressure regulator whether it's a single tank or dual tanks, but you don't need the auto changeover capability with a single tank. The regulator takes high pressure LP coming out of the tank, and reduces it to low pressure (about 11 water column inches of pressure) so it can be used by appliances in the trailer. You can remove the auto changeover regulator and pigtails, and just use a single connection regulator mounted to the hose you connect to the tank. I wouldn't recommend using the dual tank regulator and leaving one side open.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

ME
Quote:
I'm actually trying to get rid of propane altogether. I'm not there yet with the solar/battery hookup but once I have it all in place bye bye propane!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
You should rest the tank on a tray for stability and to prevent frame rust. If the tank rests on enough of the frame to be stable, it might work without a tray. You do need a means however of securing the tank - a tie down belt, strap or bracket. Whatever method you use to secure it, make sure it's strong.
The "valve you turn to make either open..." is actually an automatic changeover pressure regulator. You need a pressure regulator whether it's a single tank or dual tanks, but you don't need the auto changeover capability with a single tank. The regulator takes high pressure LP coming out of the tank, and reduces it to low pressure (about 11 water column inches of pressure) so it can be used by appliances in the trailer. You can remove the auto changeover regulator and pigtails, and just use a single connection regulator mounted to the hose you connect to the tank. I wouldn't recommend using the dual tank regulator and leaving one side open.
Thank you so much! Is there a name for this propane tray thing? I am not finding anything online it all seems for dual tanks and not single ones....
or can I take the rod out and place it in the middle of the 2 tank base? Hmmm...

Though I'm not sure what to do with the strapping, I think I need to go to a local RV shop and just ask and buy everything there.

I wouldn't want to bungee cord it and then have it flying out!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
What's the benefit in removing the tank?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #8

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
What's the benefit in removing the tank?
The tongue weigh and I have a 1100w lithium battery generator which pretty much can do everything except fridge and heat (with the inverter from the engine I can still manage) But If I add more batteries with solar I can heat and fridge with no problems what so ever)
Can run the fridge 24/7 WHILE driving THIS is gold IMHO.

Also most important, nobody got time to fill tanks while camping!

I don't have the shower hookup so don't need all the water heating etc.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
when I had a tent trailer with a single propane bottle, it sat on a base that was square and the size of the ring on the foot of the tank... it had two vertical bolts with wingnuts, and two vertical clamping pieces that had a bottom right angle with a hole for said bolt, and a hook on top that hooked the top handle/ring of the tank. the propane regulator threaded directly into the tank valve, just like on a BBQ.

i'm not finding any clamps like that but there's plenty of these sorts of things,

https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Univ.../dp/B00EP1S6H4

man, tho, I would not want to be camping and have the temperature seriously drop and not have propane heat. electric heat draws a LOT of power, like 1500 watt*hours per hour, thats 120 amp*hours per hour.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #10

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
when I had a tent trailer with a single propane bottle, it sat on a base that was square and the size of the ring on the foot of the tank... it had two vertical bolts with wingnuts, and two vertical clamping pieces that had a bottom right angle with a hole for said bolt, and a hook on top that hooked the top handle/ring of the tank. the propane regulator threaded directly into the tank valve, just like on a BBQ.

i'm not finding any clamps like that but there's plenty of these sorts of things,

https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Univ.../dp/B00EP1S6H4

man, tho, I would not want to be camping and have the temperature seriously drop and not have propane heat. electric heat draws a LOT of power, like 1500 watt*hours per hour, thats 120 amp*hours per hour.
Yeah don't use AC, DC ceramic heater works great You can pair it with electric blankets if while sleeping but even if its 1500w that's on high you don't need that much at all for a little scamp like mine. Even the lowest is too much once running. If it has a thermostat I'm pretty sure it would turn off many times during the night too lowering the consumption. But with a DC heater I can go on all night WITH the fridge with another battery or 2.

It's WAY worth it vs dealing with propane tanks and having to go out and turn it on then turn the fridge on OUTSIDE. Then worrying about leaks, filling the tank, finding the place to fill it with etc. It's prob not for everyone but for me it's WAY WAY worth it

But if you have a shower hookup I don't think you can get away without a tank. That's another thing I didn't want to deal with black/gray water tanks etc. I just want something simple and easy. But that's just me, everybody's needs are different and how much effort and energy one wants to put into it all!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Yeah don't use AC, DC ceramic heater works great You can pair it with electric blankets if while sleeping but even if its 1500w that's on high you don't need that much at all for a little scamp like mine. Even the lowest is too much once running. If it has a thermostat I'm pretty sure it would turn off many times during the night too lowering the consumption. But with a DC heater I can go on all night WITH the fridge with another battery or 2.

It's WAY worth it vs dealing with propane tanks and having to go out and turn it on then turn the fridge on OUTSIDE. Then worrying about leaks, filling the tank, finding the place to fill it with etc. It's prob not for everyone but for me it's WAY WAY worth it

But if you have a shower hookup I don't think you can get away without a tank. That's another thing I didn't want to deal with black/gray water tanks etc. I just want something simple and easy. But that's just me, everybody's needs are different and how much effort and energy one wants to put into it all!
I must admit I do not understand your desire to get rid of propane. I find it the most versatile , most handy, longest lasting power source and far safer than most people realize. I remember going camping with my dad and only having "white gas" for cooking, heating and light. That was an experience, with a few close calls that could have been potentially dangerous. Propane is a pleasure to use by comparison.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:

I really appreciate the toilet for those 3 AM bathroom runs that seem more frequent on the north side of 60 yrs...

and, I'd way rather use my own clean shower than some nasty cinderblock bunker campground shower that may or may not have hot water.

turning on the propane? I turn it on as soon as I put the refilled tanks on the trailer. and hardly ever turn it off again, until its time to swap tanks. my escape's fridge turns on propane with a push of a inside button.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #13

ME
Quote:
I must admit I do not understand your desire to get rid of propane. I find it the most versatile , most handy, longest lasting power source and far safer than most people realize. I remember going camping with my dad and only having "white gas" for cooking, heating and light. That was an experience, with a few close calls that could have been potentially dangerous. Propane is a pleasure to use by comparison.
Yes, I'm just TOO lazy. I don't want to go out in the rain or even on sunny days lol to turn anything on and off. I don't want to be on my phone looking for places to fill the tank, I don't want to carry that heavy thing loading and unloading to fill it up. I don't want to do the maintenance to determine if the hose has to be replaced and the periodic little heart attacks thinking "WHAT"S THAT SMELL?! IS IT A LEAK??!!" Which 99% of time is probably the dog or one of my kids just farting. Like I said everybody is different, good for you that you enjoy all these things and doesn't annoy you. But it annoys ME!! Haha!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #14

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I really appreciate the toilet for those 3 AM bathroom runs that seem more frequent on the north side of 60 yrs...

and, I'd way rather use my own clean shower than some nasty cinderblock bunker campground shower that may or may not have hot water.

turning on the propane? I turn it on as soon as I put the refilled tanks on the trailer. and hardly ever turn it off again, until its time to swap tanks. my escape's fridge turns on propane with a push of a inside button.

Yes, my thinking will probably change as I get older, different priorities, different needs, wants etc. But for now I want to get rid of the propane ASAP.
I'm not going to unhook anything or alter it so if I do want the tank I can always set it up again

We use luggable loo with cat litter with bags and just throw it out best thing ever! You won't ever want to use those square porta potties once you use the luggable loo it's easy, no mess, no fuss just all around the best thing we purchased for the camper
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Ran across someone in a Casita who substituted a bucket for road tools for his 2nd tank; had a PVC pipe that stuck up to engage the hold down clamp for the 2nd tank (now removed) so it kept everything in place. Inventive sort.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
We use luggable loo with cat litter with bags and just throw it out best thing ever!

Guess some people just don't give a sh*t.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #17

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Ran across someone in a Casita who substituted a bucket for road tools for his 2nd tank; had a PVC pipe that stuck up to engage the hold down clamp for the 2nd tank (now removed) so it kept everything in place. Inventive sort.
Ahhh if it'll keep the tongue weigh less than 200lbs that might be a solution until I get rid of both tanks...good idea!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #18

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Guess some people just don't give a sh*t.
Is this a pun?

Yeah but you're right I don't give a sh*t messing with black water tanks and washing out porta potties worst thing ever!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
The tongue weigh and I have a 1100w lithium battery generator which pretty much can do everything except fridge and heat (with the inverter from the engine I can still manage) But If I add more batteries with solar I can heat and fridge with no problems what so ever)
Couple things Amy. Can't say I ever remember having to fill a tank while camping, that's done before I leave. LP is almost as easy to find as gasoline and the tank can be filled without removing it from the TT just like all motor homes do. You mention your TW, kind of wondering where you plan to mount any extra battery(s) to run the fridge and heater. To make it real easy, if you always camp with hookups, just take the tanks off and plug in to 110v, done. Every one floats their boat different .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #20

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:

How are you going to keep the solar generator charged? If you are just going out for a few days, I can see it working; but how about a 2 week or longer stay?

That's the problem I'm trying to figure out. Not enough roof space for all the needed solar panels and putting out several portable panels is worse than filling a propane tank for me.

You could go with a more efficient refrigerator, but it will be difficult to find one that fits in the same space. I'm thinking about putting one in my van (Tow vehicle).
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane