20 lb gas bottles - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you merely swap valves, the old tank can be recertified for (I think) five years and that's it (might be less). New tanks are available at Home Depot for about $22 and are good for 12 years.

Inspect the new tank selection and you will find the individually marked tare (empty) weights vary in the neighborhood of 14-15 lbs. If you want to keep your weight down, select a lighter set of tanks.

If you really want to keep your weight down, just get one tank and also a 'steak saver' or similiar propane fitting to allow attachment of a one-lb cannister for when the big tank runs out.

If you want to save even more weight (I did this, but don't have a reefer or run my furnace for long, so I don't use much propane), put in one ten-lb tank, plus the steak-saver.

Pete in the RatHaus

Old 08-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #16

If you merely swap valves, the old tank can be recertified for (I think) five years and that's it (might be less). New tanks are available at Home Depot for about $22 and are good for 12 years.

Inspect the new tank selection and you will find the individually marked tare (empty) weights vary in the neighborhood of 14-15 lbs. If you want to keep your weight down, select a lighter set of tanks.

If you really want to keep your weight down, just get one tank and also a 'steak saver' or similiar propane fitting to allow attachment of a one-lb cannister for when the big tank runs out.

If you want to save even more weight (I did this, but don't have a reefer or run my furnace for long, so I don't use much propane), put in one ten-lb tank, plus the steak-saver.

Pete in the RatHaus

Old 08-22-2003, 04:22 PM   #17

o.k.

Quote:
Orginally posted by jgreene.rn

* * * * * * Tom, what I'm saying, is swap the bottle for a new full one at the drug store, the grocery store, or the Quick-stop. Now you have an OPD bottle at no cost, other than for the gas.
I've always owned my own tanks - checked it out and yes, you can swap them out - at Wally Mart they charge an extra $4 to upgrade you from a non-OPD tank to an OPD tank.

But for a regular refill, I'm paying $2 less by using my own tanks at a local propane supplier.

I suppose one could argue that it's more convenient to just swap tanks rather than wait for the refill process. :huh

On my airstream that would mean giving up my shiny silver tanks for some cruddy old Blue Rhinos or whatever - not gonna happen! :nope

Tags
propane