20 Pound Propane Refills vs Exchanges-Tip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #21

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
[QUOTE=Raspy;736575]I've only had one place ever check and turn me down on an expired tank. And it looked perfect. "Re-certification" is kind of a joke and common sense. If it is severely rusted, or dented, or has serious road rash, toss it. If the O ring in the Acme valve is cracked, replace the valve. If it looks pristine and is out of date, it's just a legal matter. Stamped with a new date, it is good to go for another five years. The magic stamp makes it totally safe again.

I went into a local propane yard, where they were re-certifying hundreds of tanks, and asked them what re-certifying meant. Answer was: "we re-paint them and stamp them with a new date".

If mine become out-dated, I'll do the same by stamping them myself. I have had a couple of Acme valve O rings crack and that seems to mean the entire valve gets replaced. When this happens, they will leak even with the hose screwed on tight.[/QUO

In my area of California, our local U-Haul does check the date stamp and was turned away. Down the road is a tool rental place that does not check or look over the tank and have never had a problem getting refilled.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
One point...
When you stop at a Love's or similar truck stop they charge by the gallon to refill so you only have to pay for what you buy.That can be really nice when you're at a half tank and want to top off your tank for a trip.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #23

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I have bought tanks with the old valves at yard sales for $5 and traded them in at the kiosk at the grocery store. They never check. So paying the high price to get a current tank with the new valve is worth it. Otherwise you are paying about 150% more money to get 25% less fuel.

I bought a 30 pound tank for $5 that had the newer valve and took it to get filled at the hardware store. I told they guy I thought it might be past the date and he said "OH, I think that's only for 20 pound tanks." This was in the real Northern California (200 miles north of fascist San Francisco).

Whether your tank gets checked or not may also depend on whether it's raining.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
When paying your $5 or say $10; that is not a recertified tank . Costs about $46 cad to properly retest a tank with a new valve.
Here in BC, recertified tanks have the old valve replaced; the inside inspected for rust as well as the exterior . a new valve is installed and exterior repainted for appearance sake and to minimise any external rust ; THEN the cylinder is date re-stamped and the companies "licence" number stamped beside that to show who did it. The outlet I deal with also advised the odder recertified are better tanks than the new ones as the gauge of steel is heavier and better welds are done. He took the time one time to show me. Those tanks that don't meet their standards have a few holes drilled into them and then go to steel recycling outlets . Even "new looking" date expired can have the seals dry up from time and may not seal correctly.
Properly re-certified tanks are good for 10 years.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane