20 Pound Propane Refills vs Exchanges-Tip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1990 13 ft Casita DLX #6
Colorado
Post 20 Pound Propane Refills vs Exchanges-Tip

I thought I would pass this tip on about propane exchanges vs refills.
When you exchange bottles at stores be aware that those bottles are NOT normally full in such as the bottles from the "Blue"company . In most cases they are filled to only 15 pounds. Better to take your bottles to a propane refill store and have them refilled to full (20 pounds). Saving you money and you'll have a full bottle. Paying more for less goes against my judgement.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The exchange deal is good if you have a cylinder that the date is expired. Then exchange it for one that has been inspected and has a recent date stamp.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The exchange deal is good if you have a cylinder that the date is expired. Then exchange it for one that has been inspected and has a recent date stamp.
I have taken out of date propane tanks to my local propane distributor. They look at the tank and if it’s out of date they put in in a separate cage and the guy has full ones on the edge of the dock that weigh 37.6 lbs. “get yourself a new one” he always says to me. Last year in May I got a tank with a manufactured date of 4/18. It was new and was the first time it had been filled or refilled. Not a nick or a scratch and shiney too. I have never bought a blue rhino exchange tank.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Great propane dealer you have there Dave. Most places want to charge to inspect an outdated tank. Before I retired Blue Rhino was a lease customer of ours so I never paid for a "full" tank from them. One driver gave me a couple 11 and 7 pound tanks because they didn't want them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Since I never or maybe I should say rarely have I ever run out of propane, single cylinder, which would mean that it was empty. There's always some in the cylinder when I refill it. So if you want to exchange not only are not getting a full cylinder but you're loosing some propane that's in your cylinder. In mine it's usually about 1 gallon.

So far I've been able to find metered refilling places. Once had to pay a flat rate, but I was getting desperate.

FYI - I usually have to refill 4 or 5 times a year.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
It costs me $5 to have my tanks re-certified. Basically they just look for rust, dents, and the valve. It is good for 5 years.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #7

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
In California most places won't exchange or refill an expired tank until it's re-certified. Must have correct valve and date stamp to refill or exchange. Since the law is not strictly enforced.... A 20 lb. tank weighs about 17 lb. empty. Gallon of propane weighs 4.2 lbs. So a full tank should weigh 37 lbs. about 4.7 gallons.
Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey F. View Post
In California most places won't exchange or refill an expired tank until it's re-certified. Must have correct valve and date stamp to refill or exchange. Since the law is not strictly enforced.... A 20 lb. tank weighs about 17 lb. empty. Gallon of propane weighs 4.2 lbs. So a full tank should weigh 37 lbs. about 4.7 gallons.
Jeff
I've only had one place ever check and turn me down on an expired tank. And it looked perfect. "Re-certification" is kind of a joke and common sense. If it is severely rusted, or dented, or has serious road rash, toss it. If the O ring in the Acme valve is cracked, replace the valve. If it looks pristine and is out of date, it's just a legal matter. Stamped with a new date, it is good to go for another five years. The magic stamp makes it totally safe again.

I went into a local propane yard, where they were re-certifying hundreds of tanks, and asked them what re-certifying meant. Answer was: "we re-paint them and stamp them with a new date".

If mine become out-dated, I'll do the same by stamping them myself. I have had a couple of Acme valve O rings crack and that seems to mean the entire valve gets replaced. When this happens, they will leak even with the hose screwed on tight.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
If mine become out-dated, I'll do the same by stamping them myself.

Can't afford a new cylinder?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Can't afford a new cylinder?
Why should I go to the trouble of buying a new one and disposing of the old one, when the old one is still fine?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Why should I go to the trouble of buying a new one and disposing of the old one, when the old one is still fine?

I've generally taken an empty expired tank to the location where I get them filled and they dispose of it and sell me a new full cylinder. Saves me the trouble of buying number punches, exerting myself, and subverting the law.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:08 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
The people that re-certify my tanks place a sticker with a date on the side of the tank, THEN I have them fill it. It cost 5 bucks and it only cost me a couple minutes of time and no additional travel.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I asked a local LP company here in B.C. how mu h to recertify. They said $90. I bought 2 new tanks instead.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
My experience on the OR coast is that local propane dealers quoted a price to recertify that was greater than the cost of a new tank.

A dealer in Eugene recertified for $10.

Recertification was for 10 years and was designated by affixiing a paper sticker.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
So how many years is a tank good for?
I know they have to have the new valves with tip over safety valve.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Here in B.C. a tank is good for 10 years from the stamp date.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
So how many years is a tank good for?
I know they have to have the new valves with tip over safety valve.
Tanks are good for 12 years from date of manufacture in Iowa and California. Sorry, don't know about other states and don't want to guess. I could not find out how long re-certification is in Iowa, but California is good for another 5 years. This is for tanks 100 gallons and less.
Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #18

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Registry
Visual recertification

In Washington State visual recertification is allowed, but not in B.C. Canada. Has anyone had experience with a visual recert being denied when in B.C. or another province?
Pete Drewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Escape Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Here in B.C. a tank is good for 10 years from the stamp date.
The tanks on our 21 and our 19 were all original to the trailer and were 10 year tanks. I’ve kept the 21 tanks in nice shape
and though I could exchange for tanks that would be good a little longer I will not do that till they get closer to timing out. They are good till spring 2023 so another 4 years if things don’t change much. I bought an 11 lb. tank a couple years ago with a 12 year life and with a $5 recert for another 5 years
I won’t be buying any green bananas by then.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Seems strange that someone will gladly spend $50,000 on a trailer / tow vehicle and yet balk at spending $25 on a new propane tank .
Our local propane deale checks the date on my propane tank every time he fills it .
He recertifies tanks at N/C
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane