2000 l3ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2003, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
2000 l3ft Scamp

Hi,
I'm a brand new member....I'm driving l00 miles tomorrow to look at a 2000 Scamp l3footer. The seller says the price is $4900 FIRM. I looked it up on the NADA site which said average retail is 3370. On the other hand, these trailers are awfully hard to find. I don't know for sure what options are included either. The NADA site also mentioned a Scamp "package" with a price of 4120?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Many thanks,

arlan

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #2

Good question. I hope people jump in here and give you some good feed back.

The bottom line is, What is the condition, amentities, and is there anything else available of better value to you.

If it is a great price but doesn’t fit your needs, is that the one for you? If, on the other hand, it is exactly what you want and need; go for it.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #3

Package Price

To see what Scamp is including in a "Package" deal as of last fall, go to my web site and click on "Sales Brochure Fall 2002", and then click on the price sheet. You will find details about (almost) current pricing on new units, and what is included in a "package".

-- Dan Meyer

Old 03-23-2003, 09:52 PM   #4

If the NADA average retail value is stated as $3370, then there are as many 2000 13ft Scamps sold for less than $3370 as there are 2000 13ft Scamps sold for more than $3370. So go find one that is priced below $3370 and buy it, and you will be happy! Later, should you decide you don't like it, or want a different one, price it for as much above $3370 as you paid below $3370. Then you will be happy again!!:wave

Seriously, I would look at the trailer carefully to resolve the 50% price premium. If I had any reservation, I would wait for a few weeks, then contact the seller again to see if the unit has sold. Perhaps the price won't be quite so firm then.

Honestly, there have been enough Scamps produced that there will continue to be 13ft Scamps on the auction block in the future. Approximately half will sell for less than the average retail price and the other half will sell for more. As long as you have the money in your pocket, you have the power to decide which side of the average price you want to pay. Why not buy low and sell high?

Old 03-23-2003, 11:05 PM   #5

2000 l3ft Scamp

Hello,

Thank you all so much for responding. I will drive over tomorrow and check it out and go from there. The post from Don M was particularly helpful with all the specific price info on these eggs. Also enjoyed Loren's response. Now I am wondering if it will be important to have a shower too but new with shower and stool is over l0 grand! This unit does at least have a toilet of some sort. If it is a "package" than the 4900 price is "only" $800 over book. We shall see. I've been looking most of the winter for some kind of camping outfit to go with my Tacoma, that is something that would be "affordable" and in ready to go shape. This is really a great site and I look forward to having a home away from home soon.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:09 AM   #6

Arlen... 4900 doesn't sound too bad for a 2000 Scamp. If you look at RV trader, or any of the egg boards and the prices they're getting it's not that bad. That's one of the main reasons I decided to go new... for 2200 more I can get a 2003.

Just to show how in demand these little egss are here, at least in the northeast... A 79 Boler 13 ended up at a dealers lot as a trade in. The day it came in, there were 5 people... myself included in a heated bidding war for the little trailer. UNFORTUNATLY... it was purchased even before it got to the lot, sight unseen by someone from Maine. The last bid was 1750 OVER the asking price the dealer wanted... he could have made a fortune, but he stood by his word of the original sale. If he would have accepted the bid he would ahve gotten 3250 for a 1979 Boler, not in that great of shape... go figure...That was the day I decided that when my tax refund comes back... I'm ordering directly from the factory.

Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2003, 07:25 AM   #7

That was the day I decided that when my tax refund comes back... I'm ordering directly from the factory.

That is unless I happen to find a cute little Trillium for sale :jump-r

Old 03-24-2003, 08:08 AM   #8

Hi Arlan

There is a lot of information published here about NADA's fiberglass trailer prices. (Use our ''search'' feature to access those threads.) It is generally conceded that NADA doesn't have a clue regarding fiberglass. They simply don't depreciate as rapidly as ''stick-built'' travel trailers. If you wait for one at the NADA price, you're likely to be tent-camping this season. And prices go up as we get into camping season. The ''buyers' market'' season is rapidly expiring right now, as spring is here.

That being said, from an informal study, we found that recent models with baths hold their prices better than those without. So if you don't want a bath-equipped Scamp (or Casita), you'll have a better chance of finding one near NADA. (When you go to visit the seller, take a NADA printout with you--that might help in your bargaining.)

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=1183

Old 03-25-2003, 10:38 AM   #9

>>If the NADA book says

Ah, Loren, as someone who's been around molded fiberglass rigs for longer than most ... I guarantee the NADA book is way, way low.

Your comment about "there are as many that sold below as sold above" is wrong.

You are right that the NADA "average" price is based "reported" sales from dealers and from auctions (mainly government auctions).

Not many molded fiberglass rigs ever hit dealers' lots. Those that do are usually underpriced, because the dealer wants to get them off the lot ASAP so the cute little rigs don't adversely affect sales of big stick-built rigs.

Auctions ... mainly government surplus auctions ... are often for stripped down, well used, many-times "parted-out" molded fiberglass rigs ... and are usually pretty torn up. (I would never purchase a government surplus Scamp or Casita because of this.)

So, since most sales of molded fiberglass rigs are individual sales ... i.e. not reported to NADA ... the "true" value of a fiberglass rigs is usually way more than the official NADA price.

Interestly enough, even insurance companies know this. Several have wrecked their trailers, and reported that the insurance companies first "totalled" offer is NADA book ... but later "upped" the insurance settlement to reflect the increased value of the trailer.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #10

NADA regional values, however, for trucks and autos are right on the money ... because the vast majority of vehicles are sold via dealers or auto auctions.

The reported sales values and resulting NADA values are highly accurate (and unfortunately $1000's of less than most owners think their vehicle are worth!)

Luckily, just the opposite it true if you own a cute little fiberglass rig. Don't make a mistake of selling your rig at NADA value. And if you ever find a well-maintained trailer, selling at or near NADA, jump on it.

I guarantee you it's a bargain! But stay away from goverment auctions!

Old 03-25-2003, 11:39 AM   #11

I think you're right about the reliability of the NADA price quotes for fiberglass trailers, Charles.

I remember paying $2500 for our 84 Scamp 16 about 8 years ago. I didn't even bother looking to see if there was an NADA quote for it at that time. It just seemed that it would work out as a mobile office for my consulting business I was doing at the time. And it did that spendidly.

I removed the front bunks and built in a desk for my computer, replaced the ice box with a refrigerator and added a small propane furnace on the inside. I replaced the old rusty wheels and cracked tires with some mags from a junked out Fiat sports car and a new set of radial tires. I also added several back-up lights because I was always arriving at some obscure destination late at night and didn't want to end up with a cracked egg.

In all the business trips I made over a couple of years, I'm sure the savings in motel rooms alone paid for my Scamp. I also believe I could recover my initial investment if I were to sell it today.

So I agree. If you find a decent fiberglass rv that meets your needs don't worry too much about the NADA value.

Old 03-25-2003, 12:55 PM   #12

Loren ... we're getting off subject here ... but I'd like to see pictures of your "mag" wheels! Always loved that kind of wheel! Can you start a new thread and post some pictures?

For that matter, I'd like to see your "built-in" desk!

>>motel rooms

Boy, I hear that! Quite a savings!

Tags
scamp