2004 Bigfoot windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2004 17ft CB 1500 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Question 2004 Bigfoot windows

Hello again, Just wondering if any one else has thermal windows in there 17 Bigfoot that are mirrored (cannot see in from outside the trailer). Very much like a looking glass from the exterior. Have not seen another one yet myself. Cheers, trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My 91 has mirrored windows. Not sure if they're as drastic as yours, but mine definitely have some mirroring. I do not have the 4-season package (don't think it was offered in 91).
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

British Columbia
mirroed windows

Hi ZachO, Not sure just what was included in the 2004 1500 in the way of the winter package. I believe the 2005 was when they brought in the 2500 17 ft. with an 800 lb. increase in weight and a lot of winter package goodies. trapper
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Name: Steven and Paula
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
bigfoot windows

We have a 25rq 2008, it has the mirrored windows. Just love them. This week I will be working on one of them, because of a small leak.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #5

British Columbia
Question seal creep

Hello all, Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the two side opening windows L and R at the front of the trailer have the seal creep. I looked into a repair kit out of Washington $500 CD. New they are $376 CD each plus shipping form the Interior of B.C. Has anyone have personal experience in repairing these yourself, or a company that does it on Vancouver Island or Vancouver? I can certainly remove them, just a little apprehensive about separating the glass for new seals. I am a woodman (turning and carving) not a glassman. Any info would be appreciated. Once again I seem to have more questions than answers for this forum. Maybe one day! With thanks, trapper
Old 12-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
There is a company, located in Vancouver, WA, that makes custom windows for RV's and boats. On their website, there is a tab called, "GUIDES AND TOOLS". From the resulting drop down menu, you can find instructions and videos about installing and repairing their windows. I don't know how applicable those may or may not be to your project but they are likely worth a look.

https://www.motionwindows.com/
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

British Columbia
seal creep

Thanks Bobb for your responce to my dilemma. In checking out the site, they cover everything about RV windows accept repairing existing seal issues, hands on separating glass etc. As I mentioned in my original post I guess I am looking for an alternative to the expensive repair kit or new windows. Yes I could be dreaming! With thanks Brian
Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: BigFoot
California
Mirrored windows and seal creep

I also have a 2004 17CB model with the mirrored windows and seal creep. Only one side window had the seal creep when I bought the trailer a couple years ago but now three of them do. I would like to find a reputable shop, or service, in Southern California that can perform the repair.

Otherwise a fantastic trailer!
DesertBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
I probably have seal creep on my 1994 Bigfoot 17G but I don't know just what it is. Can someone fill me in? Thanks
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #10

British Columbia
Smile seal creep

ZachO, it happens at night if you live near the ocean. The seals try to get into the trailer for warmth through the windows. They leave a black wavy expansion of the seals between the thermal windows. OK OK, it is the window seals that expand (I think through heat) and change shape moving into the clear glass showing irregular black shapes around the window edge. Believe there was two or three years of this inferior seal (calk)., before the change was made in the manufacturing process. You will certainly know if you have them as they are unsightly when looking through the window glass. Cheers, trapper
Old 12-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
I probably have seal creep on my 1994 Bigfoot 17G but I don't know just what it is. Can someone fill me in? Thanks
The black sealant used in between the panes to seal them starts moving over time from all the thermal cycles. Not only do the seals creep inwards but they leave wavy streaks in their path. I have read it doesn’t necessarily impact the performance of the window but it isn’t the most attractive sight. It hasn’t bothered me enough to worry about it yet but I would like to get it fixed someday.

I believe the 2004 was the last year of the lighter trailer. It still has the dual pane windows, water tanks fiberglassed in underneath and was optioned with a bigger heater if you wanted. There may be a few other things I am forgetting. The later models have thicker insulation and were heavier.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #12

British Columbia
creeping seals

I have the 2004 model as mentioned. Yes, my under trailer tanks are fibreglass, painted black and what appears to be two in one. There are two separate ports and tanks for grey and black water but they are housed in one big cover. In other words you can't see individual tanks from underneath. Agree with with Desert, the creeping seals do not seem to compromise the thermal windows, but on a beautiful polished fibreglass Bigfoot with a very tidy interior they look the ugly and way out of place. Still looking for a fix!!! Cheers, trapper
Old 12-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #13

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Wasn't me who asked the question but I'm still happy to read the response.

My 91 does not have this, now that I can visualize what you mean. Probably mostly because I never park near an ocean I'm sure it has all sorts of other problems after nearly 30 years in existence, but all seem manageable without expensive repairs. I did finally pull and reseal one leaking window this summer. The ease of the fix left me ready to do the rest of the windows next summer, especially after seeing the original seal in the one I replaced. Just foam weatherstripping-like material, either not installed all that well to begin with, or it did its own creeping over the years with all the trailer movement. I'm surprised it didn't leak more than it did.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #14

British Columbia
Smile creeping seals

You can purchase seal traps on Amazon, , release them without injury near or in RV parks that do not have Fibreglass RV's. Not really a fix but it will delay the repairs until a suitable fit is found. OK OK enough is enough! trapper
Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
You can purchase seal traps on Amazon, , release them without injury near or in RV parks that do not have Fibreglass RV's. Not really a fix but it will delay the repairs until a suitable fit is found. OK OK enough is enough! trapper
At first this idea sounded a bit creepy but now I give it a seal of approval...

Tags
bigfoot, windows