2005 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Selling
California
2005 13' Scamp

I'm looking for advice regarding the purchase of a Scamp. The owner posted pictures, along with this description:
"05 Scamp travel trailer self-contained air condition Two burner stove three way Refrigerator and toilet Sleeps to comfortably plenty of storage Tires in excellent shape always being in covered storage. $8750 obo Call for an appointment".
He has dropped the price to $7900. The photos look great and the condition of the Scamp appears very unused.
My questions: what is a comparable value for a 2005 Scamp (13')?
What advice do you have regarding the purchase of a trailer (sight unseen)?

What I know: I want a photo of the title, and I would like photos of the tires and a scan of their receipt.

If anyone has any advice regarding the purchase of a trailer sight unseen, and any information regarding comparable prices/values of a used 13' 2005 Scamp please reply. Any advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee
Lee S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
It's really hard buying sight unseen as pictures can really not tell the whole story. You could post asking if there is anyone in the area willing to check it out on the forum and offer to compensate for time,gas etc or check with a local rv dealer.
The price doesn't seem out of line but strange it hasn't been snapped up as they are in great demand. Is it a strange layout, I see it says toilet - does it have bunk beds and porta potti or toilet where full bathroom would usually be?
Fridges are expensive to fix, you could ask him to put it on and take a pic of thermometer in it, a gamble I know. I would go a lot by your interactions with the seller, do they speak lovingly about the trailer or are they very sparse with info - the would make me walk if I couldn't go there to see it.
If the tires are orginal it doesn't matter if they are in good condition - it is recommended they are replaced every 4-5 years and they are inexpensive. Leaks, fiberglass damage etc would be more worrying.
Good luck.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Did you see this one, it also looks good. May be a long way from you though It's nice to look at a couple to get a baseline.
2008 13' Scamp/Excellent Condition
Although its on Salt Lake city craigslist looks like it is in Indiana, oh well!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
While we haven't bought a used fiberglass trailer, we have shopped used for 30 years. My concern is always odors. I agree about the tires needing replacement in order to be safe. Appliances will be older and the A/C and frig may not be as cold as they should. I would allow in my budget for repairs plus the cost of the unit. One thing I always do when looking at one online is "google" it to see if maybe it has been previously sold, say recently and what price it went for and I know that maybe the trailer isn't the same one but it always gives me a little extra information so I ran a 2005 Scamp and came up with an old ad which is here as "Food for thought": 2005 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | Oakland, CA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Depends on how far you have to travel. I bought/sold several cars and trailers sight unseen, giving/receiving a deposit with a bill of sale specifying such deposit is refundable if the item is not as described. So far I have not had to ask for a deposit back nor give one back. You may also be lucky.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S. View Post
My questions: what is a comparable value for a 2005 Scamp (13')?
What advice do you have regarding the purchase of a trailer (sight unseen)?
Take a look at Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com to look at what the same trailer in its age is going for. Also look at the sold section. Look at what options a trailer may have the other does not. IE a 3 way fridge vs an ice box, A bathroom vs a porta potty, screen door, heater, awning, AC, hot water tank, Fantastic Fan vs only an escape hatch and brakes on the trailer - all options by those are the type of things that can make one trailer worth more than another if they are of the same age and condition.

As far as the tires go I would suggested anytime you buy a used trailer the odds are high you will need to replace the tires, battery and often the propane tank due to their age.

I have purchase a used trailer sight unseen and didnt have any problems paid what they asked for it and all good. But I was dealing with someone who turned out to be a very honest seller so YMMV.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI Lee, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Looks like you're getting lots of advice and replies to your question(s). I have nothing to offer, but wanted to pop in and say WELCOME!

Best of luck on your egg hunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

California
Yeah, this offer almost seems a little too good to be true. I called the guy on Tues and spoke with him briefly. He said the trailer was in great shape and had hardly been used. He also said he had the title for it, but overall the vibe seemed a little sketchy. He told me he had a hundred messages and I was the first one he called back. I live 10 hrs from him and told him to give me a call this weekend if he hadn't sold it by then. I thought for sure it would be snatched up, but he left messages for me yesterday and today. I feel a little too skeptical and there's no way I'm driving 10 hrs unless I feel it's a sure bet.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #9

California
Oh, and thanks for all the responses I should also let you all know that I've decided to buy a 2005 17' Casita from a friend instead. She lives in the same town and it just seems too perfect to pass up. A little more money, but it's pretty plush, and a justifiable investment considering how well these trailers hold their value.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations! I think you'll be more at peace making this choice. I agree that this guy should not have had to basically beg someone to come and see it. Happy camping!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S. View Post
Oh, and thanks for all the responses I should also let you all know that I've decided to buy a 2005 17' Casita from a friend instead. She lives in the same town and it just seems too perfect to pass up. A little more money, but it's pretty plush, and a justifiable investment considering how well these trailers hold their value.
Congrats! Good plan if your gut tells you there was something wrong with the other situations its a good bet there was! I did do a day and half drive to buy my trailer but my gut told me it was all good - but I sure would not have done it if the seller sounded at all sketchy.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp