2008 Trillium Outback new owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

Name: Leanne
Trailer: 1975 Boler and 2008 Trillium Outback
British Columbia
2008 Trillium Outback new owner

Hi, We just purchased a new to us 2008 Trillium Outback trailer. It has solar panels and fancy gadgets that we don't know anything about. We also own a 75 Boler, so of course we didn't have anything like this before. We don't know how the power converter works, we have a DC fridge and don't know what that means. Feeling a little silly, but hey, if I don't ask I won't know, right?! If anyone can shed some light on this, would really appreciate it. The trailer was purchased from a lady who didn't know anything about it and there are no manuals or anything. thanks in advance!
Ljones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
with solar you are probably set up with most things operating off 12v which is DC, your refrigerator and lights and pump all will work off the battery which is charged by the solar.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #3

Name: J
Trailer: NonFiberglass
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljones1969 View Post
Hi, We just purchased a new to us 2008 Trillium Outback trailer. It has solar panels and fancy gadgets that we don't know anything about. We also own a 75 Boler, so of course we didn't have anything like this before. We don't know how the power converter works, we have a DC fridge and don't know what that means. Feeling a little silly, but hey, if I don't ask I won't know, right?! If anyone can shed some light on this, would really appreciate it. The trailer was purchased from a lady who didn't know anything about it and there are no manuals or anything. thanks in advance!
Hey,
Congrats on your purchase I would start with finding if possible all the name /model/serial numbers on each gadget if none pictures then of each. Let your google do the walking on the known stuff you can find manuals free from most manufacturers. If you can't ID the item pop the picture up here someone is bound to know what it is and or what it does. Perhaps Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers might help with info.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

British Columbia
Thank you!!!! It's great to get such a quick responses. I did clue in and check out the trillium website and sent them an email re: owners manual. We will see what happens. Taking her out for her maiden voyage this weekend! Happy camping everyone!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Congrats on your new trailer Leanne!
One of the great things about this forum is that if you look at the Document Center you find there are lots of owners manuals for various trailers and manuals for a lot of the more common appliances.

Is your fridge a 3 way? If its is you may find as others have that running on the DC is a big battery power hog and running it on the propane is the better option.

Have fun with your new trailer!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Joe over at Trillium (Calgary) is a busy guy but he will probably get back to you fairly quick. I don't think there is a user manual, pretty sure I asked him that when I had some changes made to mine a couple of years ago. I've been to his shop a number of times and he's always been very helpful.

IF the original owner didn't change anything you probably still have an Elixir 25 amp converter. It's not the best but mine still worked from 2004, I did change it this year. If you stay plugged in it will power all of your 12v appliances and power your standard house outlet in the trailer (if you have one).

Your fridge will be a Nova Kool, it uses about 2.2 amps when running and should work very well. Depending on the type/age of your battery you might run out of power fairly fast if you aren't using a plug in site. I use two 6 volts which aren't standard with the trailer but Joe does have it as an option so yours might have them.

I can't speak to the solar panel but the packages he used to offer were from Go Power. A quick google search and you should find something that might match what you have. If it still works be sure to park in the sun.

If you have any other questions I can probably answer them. It's a great little trailer, best thing I've bought in years.

Happy camping!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

British Columbia
Thanks, Drew and everyone who answered me. Very helpful! There is an orange switch on the front of the counter next to the fridge. What is that for?
Happy Camping to you too!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Question Trillium vs Outback

There are Trillium trailers built by Trillium RV Ltd:

Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design

And then there are Outback trailers built by Team Trillium Manufacturing, Ltd:

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

Many people confuse the two different makers, including this forum which still has not included the Outback in their list.

I understand that the two were allied in the past but have since parted and gone their separate ways.

Trilliums are made in Florence, AZ and Outbacks are made in Calgary, AB.

I don't think that the manual for one would apply to the other.

People tend to call both "Trillium" although, technically, the Calgary trailer is an "Outback". Sort of like calling all facial tissue "Kleenex."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljones1969 View Post
Thanks, Drew and everyone who answered me. Very helpful! There is an orange switch on the front of the counter next to the fridge. What is that for?
Happy Camping to you too!!!
That switch on mine turns the water pump on/off. If you turn it on you should hear the pump running. You'd use it if you had water in your fresh water tank.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #10

Name: vrm
Trailer: Trillium OutBack
Canada
Thumbs up

Hi,

I also have a same year (2008 Out Back) that I purchased new. The people here have already answered some of your questions, so I won't repeat the same answers.

I got a several options factory installed on mine: awning, hot water tank, extended counter, flush toilet, dual propane, spare tire, storage cover, electric brakes, larger DC fridge (3cu. ft), door with window, fantastic fan, bike rack, gravel guard.

I later added several other "options" that I listed in the modifications discussion.

As for your power converter, probably an Elixir 25 amp model, I would advise you to check your battery(ies) water levels (if standard wet type) regularly as that converter has a "dumb" charging circuit that will boil your battery dry if connected for long periods of time.

My converter died after a couple of years and I replaced it with a WFCO-WF-8725P which is a direct drop-in replacement. It has a 3 stage charging/maintaining circuit. Works quite well.

I hope/wish your maiden trip went well.
bitsnbytes13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium