2010 Trillium: A work in progress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
2010 Trillium: A work in progress

A number of folks have inquired about our 2010 Trillium issues so I took some time to compile this list. Some items were quick and easy while others took a while. There are still a few to tackle. Cutting a hole in the side of a new trailer was probably the most stressful.

-Trailer was delivered with safety chains that were too short and no hooks. We stopped at a hardware store on the way home.

-Despite ordering the electric brake option, the trailer had no breakaway switch. Bought one locally and installed it.

- Trailer was delivered with a dirty interior. Lots of construction debris, dust, and assorted hardware in the storage areas. We even found a razor blade.

-The door on one of the upper cabinets was crooked. A shim behind one of the hinges fixed the problem.

-The propane tank holder filled with water when it rained. Drilled a hole to act as a drain.

-None of the lights, wire holes, etc were caulked. Bought a tube of caulk and spent an afternoon sealing things.

-There are two "blemishes" in the interior gelcoat. We were promised a repair kit that has yet to arrive.

-Discovered numerous spider cracks in the exterior gel coat. At the recommendation of some members on the board we sealed them with Capt. Tolley's Crack Cure.

-Discovered the kitchen section has been installed too far forward or on an angle. To make the upper shelves fit they added a spacer on one side and trimmed the other. No easy fix here.

-Discovered the frame bolts are too long. We were promised new bolts. They have yet to arrive. We will order some in the spring.

-Discovered that the door hinges are not parallel. We will fix this in the spring.

-The 3 way fridge was not working well. We found the exhaust port was two 4 inch holes. We questioned this. First we were told they would look into it. Later we were told it was fine. We finally called Dometic. They emailed the correct dimensions. A jig saw and a grit blade were used to enlarge the opening. Fridge now works fine.

-The rear window leaks. We are told it is a manufacturing (Hehr) defect and we would be sent a repair kit. It has yet to arrive.

-The brake adjuster on the passenger side would not work. Turned out to be rusted. Less than 1000 miles on the trailer. Interestingly, axle was purchased from Redneck trailer supply. I think it may have sat outside for a while?

-The water pump stopped working. Unfortunately, Flojet will not warrant the pump because a separate strainer (Flojet 1740-003) was not installed. We dismantled the pump , removed some small pieces of plastic. This fixed the pump. We will install the filter in the spring. The pump was installed under the stove on the back wall of a small storage cabinet. It was mounted head side up. Instructions call for it to be mounted head side down.

The belly band plastic cover pulled away from the ends. On a warm day we stretched it back into position, and put the screws through the plastic. Easy fix.

-We almost lost the furnace exhaust port. The screws had come loose and the port was hanging out about an inch. We replaced the sheet metal screws with bolts. Conclusion : using sheet metal screws in fiberglass without backing doesn't seem to work.

-The glass cover on the stove was hitting the burner grate. Added some shims to increase the height of the bumpers the cover rests on.

Hope this is helpful, Raz
Attached Thumbnails
Unfinished.jpg   Kitchen.jpg  

Spacer2.jpg   FrontShelf.jpg  

RefrigVentBefore.jpg   RefrigVentAfter.jpg  

BellyBand.jpg   FurnaceVent.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
What a shame, you spend good money on something and you still have to work on it.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
So much for those well trained technicians.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
That refrigerator vent is pretty unbelievable. Did you go from two 4" diameter holes (24 sq inch total) to maybe 100 sq inches? Good thing it didn't block up the condenser or start a fire!

Regards,

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow I'm so glad I bought the wife's trillium outback trailer from Joe in Calgary we had issues too but only on delivery time that I explained in my post on our purchase . I have heard complaints about the receptionist she is no longer there but the product ours at least is top notch and Joe was outstanding , answering all questions and helping in every way , glad to see you taking the lemons and making lemonade good on ya Paul , cheers mike
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
That refrigerator vent is pretty unbelievable. Did you go from two 4" diameter holes (24 sq inch total) to maybe 100 sq inches? Good thing it didn't block up the condenser or start a fire!

Regards,

Matt

Hello Matt. The rough out is 7 3/4" x 19 1/4" or about 150 sq. in. They use an over sized vent to cover the Trillium symbol so I could have gone bigger but there is a bundle of wires on the inside of the wall between the two vents. We paid an extra ($200) for the 3 way fridge. The trailer comes stock with a DC (Danfoss) fridge. I didn't want to deal with the extra battery load. Also there doesn't appear to be any external venting so either they vent into the trailer or just ignore the issue. Not good either way. Raz
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike stone View Post
Wow I'm so glad I bought the wife's trillium outback trailer from Joe in Calgary we had issues too but only on delivery time that I explained in my post on our purchase . I have heard complaints about the receptionist she is no longer there but the product ours at least is top notch and Joe was outstanding , answering all questions and helping in every way , glad to see you taking the lemons and making lemonade good on ya Paul , cheers mike
Hi Mike. Sorry I missed your post on getting the new trailer. I read it this morning. Good for you. I too picked up some LED lights along with some magnets from Lee valley for latching draws, doors, etc. Projects, I can't wait. Raz
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Hoefully you won't have to wait long the only project we want to undertake is perhaps a screen door , have a few ideas we'll see come spring , will update with pics as soon as the 9ft of snow disapates from around the trailer lol , cheers mike
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
After reading your list of needed repairs on a brand new trailer, I got a mental picture of a Super Bowl commercial. You know the one... with the chimps pulling their cars into the parking lot... headed in to work.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #11

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #12

Registry
Raz,

To change the subject (kinda) what is your wall covering? I am looking to change mine and yours looks interesting!

Thanks!
Vickie
Old 02-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #13
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Raz,

To change the subject (kinda) what is your wall covering? I am looking to change mine and yours looks interesting!

Thanks!
Vickie
Hi Vickie, it's a textured vinyl wall covering that is glued to closed cell foam which is glued to the walls. It seems similar to the fabric you might find on a fake leather chair, like nauga hide. The resident expert says she thinks fabric stores carry similar material. Hope that's helpful, Raz
Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks Raz! It looks really nice!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
P Raz
Time to have a
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacardi_Raz.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	33323
Nice job on the trailer.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Good one, Kevin K. ... But that'd be mine ... after all, I am the supervisor.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
P Raz

Nice job on the trailer.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Raz

Today we received a call from Mattman Global Specialty Vehicles, the folks who built our Trillium. Ours was one of the first they built and should never have left the factory in the condition it was in. As such, we will be receiving a new trailer, delivered to us at no charge. We will keep you posted. Raz
Old 02-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #18

Registry
WOW! Hope that all works out for you!! (Do you get to keep the first one??? LOL)
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #19

Wow Paul that's awesome perhaps karma are you getting the exact same features or are you adding anything ? congat's
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 1984
Fantastic!
Hope to read your next review.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium