2014 Dodge Grand Caravan as a Tow Vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
One of the reasons we got the Dodge Grand Caravan was the fact that all the seats fold completely away and there are "tie down" D-rings for TWO doggie crates behind the front seats. We LOVE the cargo space and having the girls contained and safe while we're going down the road!

What kind of a very large dog do you have?

Best to you.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #16

Name: Judy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I think you should be fine pulling a 13'. I posted here and on Casita's forum a few weeks ago about pulling a 2016 17' Liberty Dlx with my 2014 Chrysler Town and Country. I knew the engine was plenty strong enough but was concerned with my factory Class II hitch and 3500/350 tongue limitations. The dry tongue weight of the Liberty was 365 lbs. Most who commented discouraged me from towing with my Chrysler. My sales person assured me my hitch with a weight distribution hitch would be fine. However, all of the paperwork I had to sign clearly stated a Class III hitch with a tongue weight of 400/500 lbs and 4000 lb towing capability is required. With so many comments telling me not to do it, and with the requirement written on my paperwork, I sadly cancelled my Casita. Now looking at these reviews I wonder if I should have stuck with it. I love the ability to secure my dog crates in the Town and Country. I travelled out west from Florida and had a blast visiting 15 of our National Parks pulling a tear drop camper. Still trying to figure out what to do. The Casita is over on tongue weight and loaded would be at my max but stick built trailers are way too tall and boxy. Even though lighter, the wind would cause the tail to wag the dog. I'm sure there is a FV trailer that is right for me and my T&C...still looking and hopeful after reading this thread.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlknthewoods View Post
I think you should be fine pulling a 13'. I posted here and on Casita's forum a few weeks ago about pulling a 2016 17' Liberty Dlx with my 2014 Chrysler Town and Country. I knew the engine was plenty strong enough but was concerned with my factory Class II hitch and 3500/350 tongue limitations. The dry tongue weight of the Liberty was 365 lbs. Most who commented discouraged me from towing with my Chrysler. My sales person assured me my hitch with a weight distribution hitch would be fine. However, all of the paperwork I had to sign clearly stated a Class III hitch with a tongue weight of 400/500 lbs and 4000 lb towing capability is required. With so many comments telling me not to do it, and with the requirement written on my paperwork, I sadly cancelled my Casita. Now looking at these reviews I wonder if I should have stuck with it. I love the ability to secure my dog crates in the Town and Country. I travelled out west from Florida and had a blast visiting 15 of our National Parks pulling a tear drop camper. Still trying to figure out what to do. The Casita is over on tongue weight and loaded would be at my max but stick built trailers are way too tall and boxy. Even though lighter, the wind would cause the tail to wag the dog. I'm sure there is a FV trailer that is right for me and my T&C...still looking and hopeful after reading this thread.
Are you offput so much by the interior difference between the 17' and the 16' Casita? Because a 16' hitch weight should be just fine.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
I've come in a bit late but it looks like the answers are factual and helpful. But be careful about looking at photographs of a car and trailer at a show. They look cute together but it doesn't mean they are matched. They look pretty and sell books. Occasionally you can even see that they were not actually hooked up ! When I look for a pickup I want it to be servicable for at least 150,000 miles. My Tacomas have done that easily, let's hope my Ranger V6 will do that. David in Fresno and Sonora
Old 02-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #19

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Go on the computer and look up CanAm Rv in London Ontario. Andy Tayler has written numerous articles about tow vehicles and they have used the Dodge Caravan. He might have some ideas to make the Caravan even better than the stock van.
We have used him twice with respect to hitch information and he has been spot on.
Take care,
BigT
Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #20

Name: Karen & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Kai, my very large dog's daddy is a bouvier de flander. His mum is a Labrador. The result is 120 pounds with a whole lot of hair. I rescued him from a local shelter when he was 10 months old. He had (and still has) a whole lot of issues but we do love him and he loves us.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #21

Washington
Registry
Cool

Hi, Kardon,
He sounds awesome. A BIG fellow! Both breeds are super dogs. I hear you about the hair...fawn pugs have an undercoat that won't quit.

We're in opposite corners of the country...hope the weather is tolerable there! The news sounds COLD...drizzly and a bit windy here, nearing the upper 40s right now; a fairly mild winter.

I can see why you'd want a little van to give him room!

Our girls took a while to get used to being crated in the van...the older one (13, the mom) still howls for up to several hours when we start out, but she finally gives up and for the rest of the trip only makes a few half-hearted attempts.

OH--bit of 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan info: When we bought our amerigo, it had an electronic jack on it and we thought, "cool" but then found we could NOT open the back van door! So we had to get a different jack and had it welded to the tongue further back. Be aware the back hatch/lift/cargo door needs clearance! Hoping to save you a bit of cost and hassle (and surprise, at least) I hope.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #22

Maine
Thanks Kai for the info on the back door. We went down and signed off on it this morning so I hope it works okay. The dealer is installing the hitch and wiring and we will pick it up this week. Hopefully, we've done our homework and everything will work out. Karen
Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #23

Maine
I meant to mention, winter has been extremely mild here (for Maine) until this week. Temps at night are dropping below zero. Still, I've seen it worse. Kr
Old 02-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #24

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Hello Kai, Karen and Dan,
We had a big dog, Bernese Mountain Dog nearly 3 years, which led camping with a Dodge Caravan.

We took possession of the dog in the winter and never problems when traveling.
The seat behind the passenger were removed to make it to space.

In the summer the dog seemed to become impatient when was about an hour away.
We always moved him a plywood and a big blanket on the floor of the caravan, so it will not be overcome by inperfections floor.
After a while, we realized that under the cover and plywood, the floor temperature was very hot and the muffler just going below.
We moved the dog on the driver's side and the problem was resolved and Taz happy.
Attached Thumbnails
2009-09-14 Coaticook DSC_0015.jpg  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #25

Washington
Registry
Gilles, Hi,

Never thought to check the floor temp for the dogs' comfort...will do! The crates do seem "enclosed" (because they are) and last summer we used the back air conditioning to keep their area cooler even than our front area; they seemed to appreciate it a lot.

Possibly we'll need to put something under the crates to get them up a bit for air
circulation when it's hot. Thanks, good idea.

Nice-looking dog; so much bigger than the person (ha ha).

Kardon,

You're welcome, congratulations on signing off on it, best luck!
Glad your winter has been "mostly" mild; the really cold snaps are a bit of a trial.