2016 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe Questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We bought our trailer used and it did not have the factory-installed high lift axle kit. Today I happen to be reviewing options to install one myself.

In our case, the trailer scrapes slightly at the top and bottom transitions of our somewhat steep driveway.

The black and gray water system plumbing also hangs very low on these trailers. I think the lift kit increasing the plumbing's clearance will give me some peace of mind on that account.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2013 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17'
New Hampshire
Our trailer came with all three but we don't use the anti-sway bar, it's steady as a rock back there. Have fun!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #17

Name: linda in eugene
Trailer: In the market for Casita
Oregon
Great questions! We just ordered a new 17' SD last week. We opted not to order the awning since we prefer to use a freestanding canopy. For some reason the camping spots we choose are not awning friendly. This is probably a mistake for resale, but we are planning on keeping our trailer for a long, long time. Are you ordering the furnace? We didn't... maybe another mistake, but we never used the furnace in our previous two trailers. In cooler months, we will be visiting state parks w/ electric hookups and using a small ceramic heater. We still have time to change my mind about the furnace and would appreciate any advise. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
We bought our trailer used and it did not have the factory-installed high lift axle kit. Today I happen to be reviewing options to install one myself.

In our case, the trailer scrapes slightly at the top and bottom transitions of our somewhat steep driveway.

The black and gray water system plumbing also hangs very low on these trailers. I think the lift kit increasing the plumbing's clearance will give me some peace of mind on that account.
I added the lift kit from Orbital Machine Works to lift my SD17. Their lift kit is excellent. Took me three hours working by myself, breaks included . Put it on jack stands, pull the wheels, use a floor jack at the center of the axle and drop it down enough to slide the spacers in. I didn't even have to disconnect the brake wires. The hardest part was unbolting the axle, seems Casita paints the threads up real good. I had to use an impact gun.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #19

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaineugene View Post
Great questions! We just ordered a new 17' SD last week. We opted not to order the awning since we prefer to use a freestanding canopy. For some reason the camping spots we choose are not awning friendly. This is probably a mistake for resale, but we are planning on keeping our trailer for a long, long time. Are you ordering the furnace? We didn't... maybe another mistake, but we never used the furnace in our previous two trailers. In cooler months, we will be visiting state parks w/ electric hookups and using a small ceramic heater. We still have time to change my mind about the furnace and would appreciate any advise. Thanks!
Our first fiberglass trailer , a Scamp 16 footer came without a furnace. When we ordered our Casita , a furnace was at the top of our option list. If you always camp with hookups or in a temperate climate maybe .For us a propane furnace allows us to camp at sites without hookups and greatly extends our camping season.
We also have A/C which we seldom use but when we need it we have it. We have camped at 17 below zero F , when heading South in the winter and a 1500 watt electric heater just doesn't cut it.
YMMV
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #20

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Furnace?

Hey Linda
Regarding the question of a furnace, we have it in our 2014 Spirit deluxe and wouldn't want to be without it. In our neck of the woods we use our furnace much more than our air conditioner. Most New England Natoinal Parks, State Parks and National Forest do not have hook-ups. We try to avoid private campgrounds because the try to pack in as many trailers as possible I understand the rationale but it's just not our idea of camping. If you just ordered your trailer it's not too late to add it.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #21

Name: linda in eugene
Trailer: In the market for Casita
Oregon
Thanks for the information! We are in the Pacific NW and camp May - October. It rarely falls below 45 degrees at night during these months and we would have electric hookups in Sept and Oct in Oregon State parks. However, we may reconsider adding the furnace
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #22

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Furnace

Hey Linda ,
I realize you live in Oregon, I guess my point is the furnace just increases your options. I spent 2 plus months in Florida this past winter and next year God willing I'm heading to Arizona and will be camping without hookups, you never know where your travels might take you and that's half the fun. Happy camping
Old 04-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I had to use an impact gun.
Did somebody say I might have an excuse to buy a new tool?!?

Hmmm. I think I have a question that would best be posted in a new thread.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #24

Name: Butch
Maryland
we have all 3 plus furnace. I consider them all money well spent. Awning comes in handy for sun and rain, Hi lift allows access and less fear of bottoming out, anti sway is cheap insurance, used the propane furnace for 3 nights in the Blue Ridge and glad we had it, resale value is a consideration for all of these options.
Butch

Tags
casita