2016 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Anne and Rob
Trailer: Shopping for our Egg
Florida
2016 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe Questions

We're getting close to putting a deposit down on this model, but wondering if the friction sway control they offer is necessary.

Also, is the high lift suspension package needed?

Have any of you regretted not getting the factory installed awning?

The price lists I just got from them show they are having a sale now and the Deluxe with A/C, etc. starts at $17,289 right now if anyone is looking to order a new one!

Thanks for any and all responses and if you have any advice, we are open to hearing it!
EggRollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
While we purchased ours used it came with sway bar & awning
I would most definitely agree with those 2 items
Others will have to chime in on the axle

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
We had a 2013 - never regretted the sway bar. The awning was definitely worth it especially on sunny days or cooler damp evenings.
We had the high lift axle but not really worth it unless you camp at places other than regular campsites - at the time I believe you got better load rated tires.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Wondering

We have a 2014 Spirit deluxe, we have all the options you mentioned. We are happy with all three. The awning is something you have to be careful of because it doesn't take much wind to damage it ( rip it off the trailer) we retract it if we are going to be away for any length of time. Some people skip the awning and opt for a free-standing shelter such as the "Clam". I'm very pleased with the anti-sway bar and 18 wheelers pass with no effect on the trailer. The high-lift axle just increases your options as to where you're able to camp. I'd say go for it, much better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
We are new owners of a barely used 17 SD. It's fully loaded except for the electric jack. Those are three options I would have paid for if we were to order new (which we were about to do.) The awning is really slick and easy to use, the extra clearance is practical and makes it easier for me to back the trailer into my back yard. The anti-sway is an extra measure of safety. But it all depends on your needs.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a 2013 17 ft Spirit Deluxe . We purchased the awning , hi lift axle , wdh , and anti sway . All of these options work for us and would buy again.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I believe the sway bar becomes more critical if using a lighter or shorter wheelbase TV.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We have all of the options you are thinking of getting and find them all useful. Also they are all desirable for resale, I know many people won't buy a used Casita if it doesn't have the high lift axle.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

Name: Pete
Georgia
Registry
We opted for the Clam Pavilion screen house instead of an awning. Sets up at least as quick. Keeps bugs out, With flaps down, keeps weather out. It is our biggest "living room" and "dining room". It is 6'4" in its storage bag, but we have a long bed pickup where storage is no problem. As an extra benefit, the Clam shelter cost about half of the awning.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Love the awning. Great indoor to outdoor transition area. Rain flap. Sun guard. Extended living space. And don't have to store, pack and set up some thing else (separate shelter). I would not tow a trailer without a sway bar. Very inexpensive safety feature.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #11

Name: Anne and Rob
Trailer: Shopping for our Egg
Florida
Thanks to all who answered

Thank you for all the advise. We are looking into the clam vs awning and will go with the anti sway and most likely hi lift too. Thanks again. I love this forum and always find so much helpful advice!
EggRollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #12

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
The sway bar costs $79 if purchased from Casita; $49 if purchased from Amazon but then you will have install the ball on the trailer hitch. We also bought the high lift and awning. Pleased with everything but have yet to do our first camp! ;]
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2018 Escape
Texas
We love our high lift axle. It has enabled us to go places that would have bottomed out the trailer and possibly damaged the holding tanks. You never know where you will end up or where the road will lead. The awning has been great as you can sit outside even in a light rain.
Chuck G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
In addition the high lift axle allows those with girth to get under the trailer without getting stuck!
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We bought our trailer used and it did not have the factory-installed high lift axle kit. Today I happen to be reviewing options to install one myself.

In our case, the trailer scrapes slightly at the top and bottom transitions of our somewhat steep driveway.

The black and gray water system plumbing also hangs very low on these trailers. I think the lift kit increasing the plumbing's clearance will give me some peace of mind on that account.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2013 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17'
New Hampshire
Our trailer came with all three but we don't use the anti-sway bar, it's steady as a rock back there. Have fun!
NH Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #17

Name: linda in eugene
Trailer: In the market for Casita
Oregon
Great questions! We just ordered a new 17' SD last week. We opted not to order the awning since we prefer to use a freestanding canopy. For some reason the camping spots we choose are not awning friendly. This is probably a mistake for resale, but we are planning on keeping our trailer for a long, long time. Are you ordering the furnace? We didn't... maybe another mistake, but we never used the furnace in our previous two trailers. In cooler months, we will be visiting state parks w/ electric hookups and using a small ceramic heater. We still have time to change my mind about the furnace and would appreciate any advise. Thanks!
lindaineugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
We bought our trailer used and it did not have the factory-installed high lift axle kit. Today I happen to be reviewing options to install one myself.

In our case, the trailer scrapes slightly at the top and bottom transitions of our somewhat steep driveway.

The black and gray water system plumbing also hangs very low on these trailers. I think the lift kit increasing the plumbing's clearance will give me some peace of mind on that account.
I added the lift kit from Orbital Machine Works to lift my SD17. Their lift kit is excellent. Took me three hours working by myself, breaks included . Put it on jack stands, pull the wheels, use a floor jack at the center of the axle and drop it down enough to slide the spacers in. I didn't even have to disconnect the brake wires. The hardest part was unbolting the axle, seems Casita paints the threads up real good. I had to use an impact gun.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaineugene View Post
Great questions! We just ordered a new 17' SD last week. We opted not to order the awning since we prefer to use a freestanding canopy. For some reason the camping spots we choose are not awning friendly. This is probably a mistake for resale, but we are planning on keeping our trailer for a long, long time. Are you ordering the furnace? We didn't... maybe another mistake, but we never used the furnace in our previous two trailers. In cooler months, we will be visiting state parks w/ electric hookups and using a small ceramic heater. We still have time to change my mind about the furnace and would appreciate any advise. Thanks!
Our first fiberglass trailer , a Scamp 16 footer came without a furnace. When we ordered our Casita , a furnace was at the top of our option list. If you always camp with hookups or in a temperate climate maybe .For us a propane furnace allows us to camp at sites without hookups and greatly extends our camping season.
We also have A/C which we seldom use but when we need it we have it. We have camped at 17 below zero F , when heading South in the winter and a 1500 watt electric heater just doesn't cut it.
YMMV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #20

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Furnace?

Hey Linda
Regarding the question of a furnace, we have it in our 2014 Spirit deluxe and wouldn't want to be without it. In our neck of the woods we use our furnace much more than our air conditioner. Most New England Natoinal Parks, State Parks and National Forest do not have hook-ups. We try to avoid private campgrounds because the try to pack in as many trailers as possible I understand the rationale but it's just not our idea of camping. If you just ordered your trailer it's not too late to add it.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita