3 Reno "Little Questions" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
3 Reno "Little Questions"

Item of Business #1
When I removed the closet, I found that it was fastened mostly with rivits. On the outside door side, the closet cabinet was fastened with staples. The staples go through the closet, insolite, and outside wall. Why did they choose staples over rivits on this side? What should I use to replace the staples when I reinstall the cabinet?

Item of Business #2
A metal bar runs from the lower kitchen cabinet to the upper kitchen cabinet. This is an empty metal tube and its used for running wiring. The only problem with it is that its ugly. What alternative options are there to the bar? What else is out there?

Item of Business #3
I am considering putting a backsplash on the wall behind the kitchen cabinet. A sheet of ABS plastic would probably be my best option. What is the best way to attach this to the ensolite? Any down side to doing this?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
whenever possible I replace rivets with stainless steel fasteners--nuts and bolts. Or, if doing a renovation, I get rid of all rivets and attach the furniture to wood blocks epoxied to the fiberglass walls.

Not only does the tube provide a conduit for wire, it also provides support to the roof. Lots of options exist, depends on how much you want to do.

Contact cement.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Ite
Item of Business #3
I am considering putting a backsplash on the wall behind the kitchen cabinet. A sheet of ABS plastic would probably be my best option. What is the best way to attach this to the ensolite? Any down side to doing this?

I have seen stainless steel, tin, tile, etc...... Lot's of options.

Here's the tin backsplash product I have seen used. Most any big box hardware store carry's it. This is from lowes
M-Boss Inc. Tin Ceiling & Tin Ceilings - Backsplash
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
I love the tin sheet backsplash. These are excellent.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
What epoxy do you use Robert?
Thanks. I was thinking of using the West system for the wood block gluing. How many blocks do you use for the upper cabinets. In my Boler 17' there is a bunk bed/storage area. Do you think Epoxy is strong enough to hold a bunk? I wouldn't think so but I haven't tried it either.
Crackedegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
What epoxy do you use Robert?
Thanks. I was thinking of using the West system for the wood block gluing. How many blocks do you use for the upper cabinets. In my Boler 17' there is a bunk bed/storage area. Do you think Epoxy is strong enough to hold a bunk? I wouldn't think so but I haven't tried it either.
For attachment of the scamp wood bunk mount which I am doing I have a suggestion for using West Marine 6 10 epoxy, comes in a caulk tube with a mixing nozzle.

After the wood is epoxied to hold it in place and fill any gaps between wood and FG the other thing done is "tabbing" it in with a few inches of FG and resin used as a tape. Layed along the wall and over the wood. Wood floor to FG sides are attached this way in Scamp and I think Boler. Maybe others.

Might apply to your bunk arrangement. Do have to peel back the ensolite or rat fur a bit to have access to apply FG attachment directly to the walls but it is very strong.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote