3 way fridge question - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Harry,

Speaking for myself, I'm thrilled that you have posted all the information, and the reasoning behind it. I'd much rather make a decision whilst understanding the concepts. Then I can assess the issue, the trade-offs, and potential work involved with a full "road map" and not just a peephole view of one or two streets.

So I hope you keep on keeping on, and don't treat us with kid gloves on the details

Raya
__________________

__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #58
Commercial Member
 
Robert Johans's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Posts: 822
Registry
Quote:
Robert,

I am sorry not to put a definition at least once in the text to the side saddle reference.

Raya is correct, I am referring to side mounted venting, its just local slang referring to that vent configuration, thanks for bringing my over sight it to my attention.

I was afraid of information overload when I wrote the last post, I see I am guilty as charged, you are looking for the one best option for you and I am trying to give you all the info to be fair to the technology available.

I need to be on the same page as you.

The truth is all solutions have an up side and a down side, any decision you makeis uniquely yours, you know the budget and the effort your willing to go through.

In my business its a well known tried and true management tool to give the customer two choices, one you [b]do not want him to do and one you want him to [b]do, never take more than 30 seconds to explain the problem. If you do you will loose the sale 90% of the time.

To do more than 2 choices is often a disservice to the customer, they are in front of you for help because they do not understand the issues with the service needed often... There are exceptions of course...This is just an understanding within most the service trades that for the most part works.

On FBRV I tend to spit it [b]all out, I realize these posts are read, archived and may be read again by people that have perhaps generally similar issues, but different specific problems in that topic...So I am trying to spit it all out all at once...I feel I am trying to cover to much in one topic confusing the subject...

These questions may get asked again from another angle again with a different take on it, my anwer can change then to address the other points related to them I need to trust that staying more targeted on the topic at hand.

In the last post...I was just broadcasting a issue concerning the Dometic access doors to be fair and thorough...

While the Dometic doors are great at getting the heat out and are t[b]he required recommended door for the Dometic brand...They do have the annoyance of being less capable of keeping water out in a heavy driving rain...[b]I did not want to recommend a door without also stating the other issues the door may have.

We all learn here...Myself I love the machines, they are vastly less complicated to me than communication with people...But I will learn.

O.k. the issue with your refrigerator was a question about the fans, I think we got that one down, if not please ask the question you need the answer too...

On your Scamp vent, in my area this has been relatively effective up to about 80 degrees, True Scamp uses larger vents than the Burros I have worked on which was pretty bad...but then Burros have really varied.

While Scamp is consistent in their equipment scheme I still have iss

Harry,

It appears from the above that you were unable to finish your thought... Everything okay? Though, like Raya, I'm interested in learning all of the details, I'd still like your opinion of the specific set-up I now have on my Scamp. Seein' as I'm probably fairly committed to what I've got... If you don't like what you see, I'd appreciate your opinion on an affordable, reasonable option. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Hi Robert,

I think Harry mentioned that he was having some surgery today. Hopefully his un-finished post wasn't indicative of a problem, but I would guess it might be a few days until he gets back.

From what I understand of his postings, including his opinion of your system, he was saying that he would change things in this order:

1) Make sure both your fans are mounted at the top, and are both set to exhaust air (i.e. to push air out, not to suck it in).

2) Change your upper vent to the new style, since the old style is somewhat backwards for letting heat out (keeping in mind that the new ones are less good at keeping water out, so you might want a cover for the road or to make the area where any water would fall onto somewhat water resistant).

3) A distant third, compared to the first two, and more optional (less gain for doing it), would be to put a new style vent in place of the bottom vent.

Now, when Harry gets back, we can see if I've put any words into his mouth, but I'm pretty sure I understood these to be his recommendations for your (and really any typical) Scamp set-up.

Here's rooting for a good recovery, Harry. We miss you already

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #60
Commercial Member
 
Robert Johans's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Posts: 822
Registry
Quote:
Hi Robert,

I think Harry mentioned that he was having some surgery today. Hopefully his un-finished post wasn't indicative of a problem, but I would guess it might be a few days until he gets back.

From what I understand of his postings, including his opinion of your system, he was saying that he would change things in this order:

1) Make sure both your fans are mounted at the top, and are both set to exhaust air (i.e. to push air out, not to suck it in).

2) Change your upper vent to the new style, since the old style is somewhat backwards for letting heat out (keeping in mind that the new ones are less good at keeping water out, so you might want a cover for the road or to make the area where any water would fall onto somewhat water resistant).

3) A distant third, compared to the first two, and more optional (less gain for doing it), would be to put a new style vent in place of the bottom vent.

Now, when Harry gets back, we can see if I've put any words into his mouth, but I'm pretty sure I understood these to be his recommendations for your (and really any typical) Scamp set-up.

Here's rooting for a good recovery, Harry. We miss you already

Raya


Thanks, Raya.
I, too, want to extend my best wishes to Harry as he recovers from surgery. My silly fridge questions can certainly wait until he is back on his feet, and on top of his game. Good luck, Harry!
__________________
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
BTW, gang, I received a note from Harry, and he's doing well and feeling good. He didn't realize that the last bit of his post had not come through, but he assures us that he'll be back soon to re-type the last bit, and to expound further upon the deep mysteries of absorption refrigeration
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

Robert, Raya,

Im back....

I do not know what exactly happened with my post but I am back fit and handsome only now bald...Good news is "Fred in my head" is gone.

I tried to look in earlier at the postings but the cocktail I was on from post surgery was to potent to trust my answers while on that stuff, my wife said I was talking in recovery "I do not remember it" and I answered any question she asked...oops?

As per my last post before the happy pills kicked in before surgery I was bringing Scamp into the picture.

The small older Scamps in my area have always been a little touchy, Excepting the 5th wheel Scamp trailers which use the recommended Dometic doors in the building of it.

The 5th wheel owners should weigh in about any of the water issues they have with the Dometic style doors and what they do to handle the issue if any.

On the Scamp 16 and 13 footers Scamp uses their own style of vent and door...the question is why?

Since I have avoided stating what "to do" not wanting to make decisions about another owners trailer trying instead to spit out the issues in play per topic here I can definably say... "Its what Raya said." according to the post I read.

If this were my Scamp brand new from the factory I would look at installing the accessible Dometic vent in the top exhaust at least with your clever fans included.

(probably only one 12v itty bitty one and then a 120 volt itty bity one or the solar kit mentioned earlier.

Why is below...

My first bloody nose as a technician on one of those "never ending projects" we sometimes get stuck on was a 13 foot scamp refrigeration unit...I learned much from that little guy...I had one in the shop that worked great at night only and on the bench flawlessly, but you pop that refrigerator in and run the absorption cycle a few hours it would just start to crap out. I do not mean break down, they rarely do that, it would move less and less heat not matching the load.

On a hunch I took a bungie and secured a 8" mini box fan to the upper vent turning it on low, what I got at first was a lot of hot air, then in 2 hours or less the refrigerator ran great day and night.

The solar units are nice because there no battery draw, the computer cpu fans work well drawing really nothing to run just .25 amps.

I cannot see your fans Robert to know their size or amp draw, I will say I have never found a fan to small to work well, these guys just need a little push sometimes to keep the heat flowing, do not go for a tornado, if the trailer crumples in like an evacuated soda can you might have gone a wee bit to far sucking air out...

The new Dometic door design does chuck out the heat allot better with little encouragement from a mechanical fan which is why I like the design despite the minor rain issue being so open in architecture causes.

But...In the interest of full disclosure...and shooting myself in the foot here again.

I personally...have not tried to put the NEW DESIGN DOMETIC doors into a 13 foot Scamp yet. I have always just added the solar kit to problem units...and the doors were not available in my career.

I also worked on the 16s...

I think its a good idea to try? Take a looksy.

I guess Robert your the Guinea pig?

There may be a clearance issue with the thicker Dometic door?

Robert the Scamp uses a surface mounted vent at the top of the installed refrigerator as an exhaust as you know and another different vent with the access door in the bottom. I would carefully check whether there is the room ie. clearance to put in that thicker Dometic vent in?

If memory serves me right it will be close?

I would appreciate an F.Y.I. back on what you find out on your Scamp about those measures regarding the top vent possible replacement.

If it can be done, I would do it.

Thanks for the well wishes guys...

Robert you have not mentioned why the fans in your case were added? perhaps I am missing it, or what were the results after your modifications?

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

bald Harry
__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Hiya, Harry,

Glad you're back in fine fettle (even though you might have to change your name temporarily )

The thread lives!

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #64
Commercial Member
 
Robert Johans's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Posts: 822
Registry
Quote:
Robert, Raya,

Im back....

I do not know what exactly happened with my post but I am back fit and handsome only now bald...Good news is "Fred in my head" is gone.

I tried to look in earlier at the postings but the cocktail I was on from post surgery was to potent to trust my answers while on that stuff, my wife said I was talking in recovery "I do not remember it" and I answered any question she asked...oops?

As per my last post before the happy pills kicked in before surgery I was bringing Scamp into the picture.

The small older Scamps in my area have always been a little touchy, Excepting the 5th wheel Scamp trailers which use the recommended Dometic doors in the building of it.

[b]The 5th wheel owners should weigh in about any of the water issues they have with the Dometic style doors and what they do to handle the issue if any.

On the Scamp 16 and 13 footers Scamp uses their own style of vent and door...the question is why?

Since I have avoided stating what [b]"to do" not wanting to make decisions about another owners trailer trying instead to spit out the issues in play per topic here I can definably say... "[b]Its what Raya said." according to the post I read.

If this were my Scamp brand new from the factory I would [b]look at installing the [b]accessible Dometic vent in the top exhaust at least with your clever fans included.

[b] (probably only one 12v itty bitty one and then a 120 volt itty bity one or the solar kit mentioned earlier.

Why is below...

My first bloody nose as a technician on one of those "never ending projects" we sometimes get stuck on was a 13 foot scamp refrigeration unit...I learned much from that little guy...I had one in the shop that worked great at night only and on the bench flawlessly, but you pop that refrigerator in and run the absorption cycle a few hours it would just start to crap out. I do not mean break down, they rarely do that, [b]it would move less and less heat not matching the load.

On a hunch I took a bungie and secured a 8" mini box fan to the upper vent turning it on low, what I got at first was a lot of hot air, then in 2 hours or less the refrigerator ran great day and night.

The solar units are nice because there no battery draw, the computer cpu fans work well drawing really nothing to run just .25 amps.

I cannot see [b]your fans Robert to know their size or amp draw, I will say I have never found a fan to small to work well, these guys just need a little push sometimes to keep the heat flowing, do not go for a tornado, if the trailer crumples in like an evacuated soda can you might have gone a wee bit to far sucking air out...

The new Dometic door design does chuck out the heat allot better with little encouragement from a mechanical fan which is why I like the design despite the minor rain issue being so open in architecture causes.

[b]But...In the interest of full disclosure...and shooting myself in the foot here again.

I personally...have not tried to put the NEW DESIGN DOMETIC doors into a 13 foot Scamp yet. I have always just added the solar kit to problem units...and the doors were not available in my career.

I also worked on the 16s...

I think its a good idea to try? Take a looksy.

I guess Robert your the Guinea pig?

There may be a clearance issue with the thicker Dometic door?

Robert the Scamp uses a surface mounted vent at the top of the installed refrigerator as an exhaust as you know and another different vent with the access door in the bottom. [b]I would carefully check whether there is the room ie. clearance to put in that thicker Dometic vent in?

If memory serves me right it will be close?

I would appreciate an F.Y.I. back on what you find out on your Scamp about those measures regarding the top vent possible replacement.

If it can be done, I would do it.

Thanks for the well wishes guys...

Robert you have not mentioned why the fans in your case were added? perhaps I am missing it, or what were the results after your modifications?

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

bald Harry

Harry! Great to have you back, Amigo. So glad you and "Fred" have parted company. Best wishes on your full recovery.



After all the amazing and copious amount of info being shared by those on this thread, here's what I've decided to do with MY specific venting situation.

First, the givens:

1 Brand new 3-way Dometic 1.9cuin fridge currently working perfectly

2 Matched Dometic-specified upper and lower vents—one accessible to controls; the other, fixed to shell exterior

3 Custom-built, insulated shroud that surrounds fridge on four sides and totally restricts any fridge-exchanged heat and/or exhaust from infiltrating into the trailer interior

4 Two 12V, .2a fans; one pushing, one pulling

5 Foil-wrapped foam baffle that creates a narrower "flue" between the two vents


My final solution... (drum roll here) Until I start having a problem, I'm leaving everything as I currently have it just as it is!

With one exception: both fans will PUSH and expel the hot air (and exhaust gases) out and through upper vent.

Whew!

With summer over and my trailer going into storage, it may be a while before I can put it all to the test again. Nevertheless, thanks very much to all for your participation in this thread. I'll keep y'all posted.

RJ


__________________
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

I love a camper when they are decisive...The best decision is always yours!



Cheers
Harry


Quote:
Harry! Great to have you back, Amigo. So glad you and "Fred" have parted company. Best wishes on your full recovery.



After all the amazing and copious amount of info being shared by those on this thread, here's what I've decided to do with MY specific venting situation.

First, the givens:

1 Brand new 3-way Dometic 1.9cuin fridge currently working perfectly

2 Matched Dometic-specified upper and lower vents—one accessible to controls; the other, fixed to shell exterior

3 Custom-built, insulated shroud that surrounds fridge on four sides and totally restricts any fridge-exchanged heat and/or exhaust from infiltrating into the trailer interior

4 Two 12V, .2a fans; one pushing, one pulling

5 Foil-wrapped foam baffle that creates a narrower "flue" between the two vents


My final solution... (drum roll here) Until I start having a problem, I'm leaving everything as I currently have it just as it is!

With one exception: both fans will PUSH and expel the hot air (and exhaust gases) out and through upper vent.

Whew!

With summer over and my trailer going into storage, it may be a while before I can put it all to the test again. Nevertheless, thanks very much to all for your participation in this thread. I'll keep y'all posted.

RJ
__________________

__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generator and Mini-Fridge Question Claire J Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-08-2010 10:12 PM
Dometic Fridge Thermostate question LP Coach George Jessup Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 01-27-2009 09:07 PM
Dometic 2-way fridge question BC Paul Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 12-01-2007 07:04 PM
Question, re fridge level Doug Mager Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 06-21-2006 11:12 AM
Answer a Question then Ask a Question CarolnJim General Chat 77 06-03-2006 12:39 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.