3 Way Fridge Temp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #29

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Thanks. I've got the manual. I guess what I was going for with this thread was "I've looked around online, seen what different people have recommended and done, and would like some personal info on my particular situation and what you think of it". I hadn't seen the cleaning video yet that was posted, and until your post didn't realize that cleaning could make that big of a difference, especially even if my flame looks perfectly fine. So I've got some good info now.

I plan to clean the fridge either way and install a baffle. Along with my new tanks I have a new propane regulator and pigtails. The old tanks are a different thread than the new ones, so all this stuff is just waiting for them to run out. I haven't found out yet if it's any harder to dispose of half-full propane tanks than empty ones, but I'm assuming empty is easier.

Either way, in a week or so, I'll be able to get moving on all this stuff.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #30

Montana
Registry
The weather has been so cool lately I haven't really been able to test the fridge, but yesterday was in the 70s and it seemed like it was struggling again.

I haven't installed any fans or a baffle, but I did take out the burner and jet, soaked them in alcohol and blew them out with compressed air.

Two things I've noticed: 1. I still get some orange mixed in with my otherwise blue flame. 98% blue, but some orange flickering.
2. The burner is not 100% centered under the chimney. I got it closer to centered by bending the metal frame that holds it, but don't want to bend that stuff too much. It's close, but definitely off-center a bit.

This week looks like it's going to be warmer so maybe I'll be able to tell more. But I don't think I'm "there" yet with the fridge.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #31

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot
anystate
Registry
My flame is off center also. It does not reach quite to the center of the chimney. I tried bending the tubing a bit, but was unable to get it closer. Since the fridge works fine, and has for a couple of years now, I have decided to ignore the flame position.

My flame is nothing but blue.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #32

Montana
Registry
Ok, thanks. So off-center slightly is probably not a problem. Not 100% blue may be...
Old 05-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #33

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There is a down side to messing with something that has worked fine for a couple of years.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #34
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I can't find what model fridge you have. Does it have a freezer? I had a 3 ft ^3 Norcold that would make rock hard ice cream and curdle milk at the same time. . My Dometic 2193 works well in warm weather. No freezer. But, when it's really hot I don't put too much in, I don't open it often, and I try to keep the vent side in the shade in the afternoon.

Find a 12 v muffin fan. Old computers are a good source. Hang it on the upper vent blowing out. Paper clips. This will pull heat from the coil. I gained 10 degrees on my old Norcold. Raz
Old 05-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Find a 12 v muffin fan. Old computers are a good source. Hang it on the upper vent blowing out. Paper clips. This will pull heat from the coil. I gained 10 degrees on my old Norcold. Raz
Raz, would you have a pic of the fan hanging in place?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #36
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Raz, would you have a pic of the fan hanging in place?
Sorry no. But I think I can give you a visual. A small fan hanging on the outside of the vent held by paper clips stuck in the vent holes. When I did it I used long wires to connect it right to the battery. When it worked I was going to install it permanent by I sold the trailer before I got to it. You know how that works.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #37

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Fans to move more air through the vents are a pretty common technique and you should be able to find a lot about it online. I usually see them mounted inside the back part of the fridge but mounting one on the outside of the vent would be OK as a temporary help on a hot day or as needed. I am thinking and guessing that it helps more when both intake and exhaust vents are on the side, as opposed to a fridge with the exhaust vent on the roof.

A small fan (usually battery operated) is also sometimes used inside the fridge food compartment to move air around and over the inside fins. Along with packing food so that air can circulate, this makes it more efficient.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Sorry no. But I think I can give you a visual. A small fan hanging on the outside of the vent held by paper clips stuck in the vent holes. When I did it I used long wires to connect it right to the battery. When it worked I was going to install it permanent by I sold the trailer before I got to it. You know how that works.
Thanks Raz, in my minds eye I was thinking it was inside behind the vent , got it.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #39

Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
There is a down side to messing with something that has worked fine for a couple of years.
Is that just a general statement or did I say somewhere that it worked for me ever?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #40

Montana
Registry
If you read through the thread, you'll see we've been over fan stuff. I like the simplicity of your fan setup, though.

Thanks for the help.

I will get around to adding a fan or two and a baffle. For now I've only had time and energy for the easy stuff: cleaning out the propane/burner elements and making sure everything looks good back there.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #41

Montana
Registry
Well if anyone has suggestions on where to get a cooling unit rebuilt, I'd love to know! I haven't installed a fan yet, but I did install a baffle behind the fridge. Today the inside temperature of the fridge is 75 degrees...

Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #42

Montana
Registry
Well I went back to the first page and re-read some of the early responses. Something in Carol's post caught my eye...Temperature probe.

Temperature probe? There's a temperature probe? So I went looking. There is a metal wire like a coat hanger, going across the back of the fridge. Mine was jammed all the way up behind the freezer. No idea if this is a probe or not, but I pulled it down into the fridge area.

The weather won't cooperate and stay exactly the same day to day so it's hard to say. It's cooled down to highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s. But I can say that for the last week I cannot keep the fridge from freezing all my food. Even with the temp adjuster down to almost "off".

I bent and tucked some of the wire back up behind the freezer, with most of it still down in the fridge part. This morning it was creeping back up towards 40 degrees in there, but that was with the temp control down to the last couple notches before off.

So we may be on to something here...

The other unknown thrown into the equation is that this all also happened after I plugged it in and ran on AC for a couple days. I did this and the wire adjustment at the same time. But after switching to gas, it continued freezing my food, even at the lowest setting.

Tags
fridge