30 Amp Extendtion cord? How long do you use? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Had not actually looked at it that way Donna agree there have been times that I have had to stop short of the position I would have perferred to be as I know my cord can only go so far. I do carry two sewer hoses as I have found I have actually had to use both connected together a number of times.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Okay, back from Walmart. 30 foot, 30 amp. 10 gauge wire, black = $41.74 at ZIP code 97230. I bought it. Sure, I could have run all over town to save a few bucks, but at the price of fuel... I chose not to. Besides, it's not a disposable item. How often does one buy an extension cord anyway? Okay, so if it gets damaged or left behind at the campground.... Adding THIS item to my "leaving" checklist

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I picked one up (new, still in packaging) at our last 'Golden Ears' swap meet here in town for $10.00 (Canadian). Good thing about swap meets/flea markets, like in Oregon, NO TAX, .....LOL!!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've carried a 30 foot 30amp extension cord from my first big trip out in 2001. I was at a campground in Coburg, Oregon which had very long campsites. The center isle I was in appeared to me to be setup for motorhomes as the tables and firepit were up front in the site. When I put my little Scamp forward so the door was near the table the sewer hose wouldn't reach the sewer drain. If I was backed up so I could connect to the sewer drain I found my door was opposite the next sites sewer connection. Smelly. Then I noticed when I parked up front the electric cord was stretched to it's limit.

Off to the RV store I went for a sewer extension hose and at the same time purchased the 30ft 30amp extension cord.

I now have an additional 30 amp electric cord which I carry. When I installed my generator I put a dedicated 30amp electric cord from the generator to the electric compartment attached to a 30amp outlet. After cutting the cord to length I ended up with about 16 extra feet. So, I added a male plug and now have another extension cord.

I don't use either one very often but I have them if I need them.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
A pair of shorter cords can be advantageous. I only have 20 amp service in my trailer, and I discovered that using a 50 foot extension (orange btw) caused my microwave to not get enough power to start. So I got a 25' cord (yellow, it so happens) and it helped. There is a current loss over longer lengths due to resistance... not nearly as bad as with 12V DC, but it seems to be present in 120V AC nonetheless. So who knows, you may find two shorter cords better than one long one.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #20

Oregon
Just a few moments ago, I picked up the latest Camping World sale magazine out of my mailbox. There is a 25 foot, black, 30 amp extension cord on sale for $34.99, President's Club price. 50' for $59.99.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Hmm

I have only used the 25' yellow cord that came with my rig. Once or twice did need all 25', but usually not.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I can't imagine you ever needing more than the 25' on your trailer plus a 25' extension. Where would you ever park/camp that you'd be more than 50' away from the power source? We've been camping since 1970 and I can't ever remember being out of range of the outlet with 50' of electrical cable.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #23

Oregon
I'll be parking at the Oregon Gathering in a spot that 70' long. I'd like to bump my rear tires at the end to provide additional parking for someone at the front of my tug. The water/electrics and sewer are all dead center in the spot. I need more than what originally came with the trailer. Even if I was alone and not attending a gathering, I prefer to be as far back in the parking spot as I can get (usually). I tried to do this last year and the electrics were about 10 feet too short. The sewer hose for the black tank about 3 feet to short and water.. less than 6". DANG.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Cord too short?

Adding lengths of extension cord is easy. Ditto lengths of water supply hose. As to the sewer connection - well - use your tanks and when you are leaving, pull it ahead to where you can hook 'em up and take care of THAT then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'll be parking at the Oregon Gathering in a spot that 70' long. I'd like to bump my rear tires at the end to provide additional parking for someone at the front of my tug. The water/electrics and sewer are all dead center in the spot. I need more than what originally came with the trailer. Even if I was alone and not attending a gathering, I prefer to be as far back in the parking spot as I can get (usually). I tried to do this last year and the electrics were about 10 feet too short. The sewer hose for the black tank about 3 feet to short and water.. less than 6". DANG.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #25

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
As to the sewer connection - well - use your tanks and when you are leaving, pull it ahead to where you can hook 'em up and take care of THAT then!
Yeah Dave, I've had to do before, but I'm in the park for 8 days and the tanks aren't big enough for that many days. I'm buying a longer sewer hose for the trip.