30 amp vs 15 amp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Yikes! What is in the 16 ft Casita? Should I be doing more than just plugging in?
I have plugged into the garage regular outleg,, and also campground outlets without a problem, but I have no idea what is in these campers and what I need to do. Anyone here know?
Thanks
We have a 16' Scamp which has about the same equipment as the Casita. I run everything in the trailer... including the AC from a 20 Amp. 110 volt standard outlet. The trailer is equiped with a 30 Amp. feed. When camping at a location that has the 30 Amp. outlets I use the standard 30 Amp. while at home the 20 Amp. Never had a tripped breaker so I guess I can conclude that the AC and fridge don't draw nearly that much current (the extension cord doesn't get hot either).

I carry adapters for 20 to 30 Amp. and for 30 to 20 Amp. They ran about $4 each so no big investment.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I built my own, but you can buy a plug in unit like this to protect after the adapter, it has a ground fault receptacle and a 15 amp circuit breaker.

GFCI Protected Quad Outlet Box

* 125V.15A rated. UL, CUL/CSA listed
* Class "A" portable GFCI/Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter for personal protection
* Right angle GFCI plug, NEMA 5-15P and 6 feet of 12/3 SJTW cord
* Quad outlet box w/ (4) NEMA 5-15R outlets, each with a separate cover for protection while not in use
* Light power "ON/OFF" rocker switch on the quad box and an LED "Power ON" indicator
* 15 amp circuit breaker for over current protection
* For any job requiring OSHA compliance

Code: TOW30334-052
Attached Images

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Here's a comparison with some more familiar household equipment which might help. Your typical household outlets, and all the wiring (maybe 14 gauge) feeding them, are rated to handle 15A (total, and it's okay if all of it goes through one outlet). The circuit breaker in the house panel prevents the circuit from getting more than 15 amps... but what about the individual things you plug in?

You plug in a small table lamp, and it has a thin (18 gauge) cord which is not capable of handling 15A. That's okay because it is not allowed (you always read the warning labels, right?) to have a bulb so large it would ever draw too much current, and a short circuit would draw more than 15A and the breaker would trip.
  • This is Gina's "normal use" scenario, but more reliable because the lamp is such a simple situation.
Now you plug in an electronic appliance which also has an 18 gauge cord. There's lots of ways for stuff to wrong inside, so it could draw too much current for the cord, but still not enough to trip the house circuit breaker. To be safe, the appliance has its own breaker or fuse built in, set for only a few amps. If anything goes wrong between that fuse and the wall plug, it's probably a short that trips the house breaker.
  • This is like the trailer with its own 15A main breaker and a 15A cord, plugged into a 30A outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I like the idea of a ground fault interrupter at the power pole, protecting as it would everything downstream, including the cord. However, Joe's 15A unit wouldn't be good for me with a 30A main and proper 30A cord. In my case, I'd look for a 30A ground fault interrupter. Although a quick search didn't turn up one.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #25

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I don't think 30A in a portable is available yet, I have just started to see the 20A come available easily. The 30A is usually on a Panel breaker.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I don't think 30A in a portable is available yet, I have just started to see the 20A come available easily. The 30A is usually on a Panel breaker.
Is this what y'all are looking for
Portable 30 amp GFCI Surge Guard with Shock Shield
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #27

Registry
Surge protection and ground fault interruption in one unit. That would do the job. $60 on sale isn't gruesomely expensive.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #28

Registry
What am I talking about?? I love gadgets. I'm all over this like cute on a kitten!