Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Point taken.

baglo

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
There is nothing as powerful as flowing water and flowing air.

I shed a tear when I passed a tent trailer pulled over along the highway, with canvas and fibreglass trailing it. Apparently they hadn't latched the roof and the wind got under it, lifting it at about 60 mph.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
WOW you guys, Thanks to all of you! Such great comments! I am mainly going to install a solar Panel and a new longer Awning rail...so I think now cleaning the surface with a little of one of your suggested removers, because the tape will have to carry weight. Especially the awning rail. Still not exactly sure how to use the tape for the solar panel but will find out am sure. Thank you all again
I would surely not use the tape for an awning rail! I'm sure many of you know this but Rease at Escape Trailers does not use the tape anymore. He had one taped solar panel blow off and uses adhesive now. The adhesive he uses is not sold in small quantities. Since I am installing a second solar panel I plan to use GE5200 to glue mine on. That adhesive bonds to the gel-coat chemically so you only get one chance. I'll just check 10 times before doing it!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Diane, please let us know what you come up with for your solution.

As far as the VHb tape and wax, I kinda look at it like painting. It's all about prep. If spending 30 minutes more in prep makes the finished product last longer, etc... why not do it!

I totally agree Donna! We shall see as the work has been put off still another weekend... Will let you guys know what I finally did when I do it. refer to my post in the "Chat Forum" today. HA!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The thing about gluing things on the outside is that the bond depends on a layer of gelcoat, while mechanical fasteners use the fiberglass structure of the trailer. I just can't bring myself to trust that what amounts to a coat of "paint" will hold up.

Call me "too old to unlearn Murphy's Law"!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #20

Virginia
Francesca, lot to think about...am respectful, taking all responses in. Thanks for sharing your concerns. I want to put a longer awning on the trailer, the one that's there now was put on with screws and rivots. the holes do not match up to the new rail so just thinking about how to do it. I don't want a lot of new holes everywhere.
I may just cut two short pieces and add to the ends of the existing one.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #21

Registry
Sounds like you already have the new rail- why not redrill THAT so its holes match up to the ones on the trailer? You could use the old rail as a template...

You'll have to seal those old rivet holes anyway, and what better method than by putting rivets back in?

Francesca
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Francesca, lot to think about...am respectful, taking all responses in. Thanks for sharing your concerns. I want to put a longer awning on the trailer, the one that's there now was put on with screws and rivots. the holes do not match up to the new rail so just thinking about how to do it. I don't want a lot of new holes everywhere.
I may just cut two short pieces and add to the ends of the existing one.
Maybe some photos would help with suggestions, if you can shovel off the snow. Ha!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Sounds like you already have the new rail- why not redrill THAT so its holes match up to the ones on the trailer? You could use the old rail as a template...

You'll have to seal those old rivet holes anyway, and what better method than by putting rivets back in?

Francesca
Makes sense to me.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's where the inner shell on the Uhauls is a problem, you can't get at the inside to reinforce a rivet or screw, only in the closet. Or you could drill right through the inner shell, then make the inner hole about 3/4" or so, put in your washer on a rivet or nut on a screw and fill the hole with a plug that you can find at most hardware stores. Our uhaul has a short awning rail, I had to cut off part of it because it had come loose and bent. Still debating as to get a new rail and awning, or continue to use the canopy over it as we have been doing.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #25

Registry
You don't need access to the inner shell/other side when using a blind riveter, which is what's used for most awning rails and many other points of attachment on fiberglass trailers.

Francesca
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #26

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Francesca
Thanks, does make sense to me too, however I did think adding too many holes to new rail would weaken it. The existing rail is not leaking anywhere now. Going to an 8' RAIL, or add to the existing one, I know it's too long but I will make it work. The only thing 8' is the bag, the actual awning is somewhere around 7.5' so the ends of the bag can overhang but the awning needs the support on the top sides.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, does make sense to me too, however I did think adding too many holes to new rail would weaken it.
The holes should not come too close to overlapping, but strength would not otherwise be compromised by adding some holes that are the same diameter as the existing ones, on the rail.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #28

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Here's where the inner shell on the Uhauls is a problem, you can't get at the inside to reinforce a rivet or screw, only in the closet. Or you could drill right through the inner shell, then make the inner hole about 3/4" or so, put in your washer on a rivet or nut on a screw and fill the hole with a plug that you can find at most hardware stores. Our uhaul has a short awning rail, I had to cut off part of it because it had come loose and bent. Still debating as to get a new rail and awning, or continue to use the canopy over it as we have been doing.
Bob, I have done it all, tarps, umbrellas, Shelters, etc. I really think a good awning is the easiest. One that you can walk under and not trip over ropes. If you are going to take your shelter with you anyway, it doesn't matter. I usually take a tarp, a shelter, and have an awning. Sometimes I just want to travel light. The awning alone solves that for me. Everyones preferences may be different and that's Okay.