3rd Brake Light Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Changing the Scamps tailights over to LEDS so they will give me better visibility. Also plan on installing a 3rd brake light but do not know how to wire in the 3rd light.
The plug in for the trailer is a 7 blade.
The center pin is not used but the others are-
BLACK - battery charging
BROWN- right turn/stop
BLUE- electic brakes
WHITE-ground
RED- left turn/stop
GREEN-tail/ run lights

So if I wire the 3rd brake light to the left turn/stop it will flash when I have the turn signal on?
Any ideas would be helpful.
ps. there was a red wire and extra bulb in the old tailights that was not used for backup lights (Never installed to work)
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about a LED Tailgate Bar, mounted ala Gene Layton's mod (to window frame) this can be cut to any size 12" to 60"
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/led_light...ailgate_bar.htm

Running Lights (all red leds semi lit)
Brakes (all red leds light up)
Left Turn Signal (red leds on left light up
Right Turn Signal (red leds on right light up)
Reverse (all white LEDS lit)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, there's no easy way to add a third brake light without some electronics, since otherwise it will flash with the turn signals. One possibility would be to run another wire from your trailer connected to one of your brake lights in your TV. That might work but some vehicles (my Ford Escape is one) don't have enough current to the tail lights to also run a trailer. In that case, you would also have to put in a relay and your 7-pin connector is no longer standard. There's a company here that sells a logic module for connecting a third brake light for $15.95:

http://www.commandelectronics.com/th...ke-lights.html

That would seem to be the simplest way to go.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Just mount this 3rd brake light on back of your trailer.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/led-third-b.../p2003586.jcwx

Click image for larger version

Name:	1934_Ford_Model_40_720_De_Luxe_Coupe_V84ME.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	26898
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Just as I thought , I will need a unit that allows the 3rd light to act as a brake light and not a turn / brake light.
I already bought the light but I think I will take it back and go with just the LED tailights for now.
They are very bright compared to the old units that came with our SCAMP.
Sometimes I buy stuff without thinking this thru.
Thanks for all the help.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I tapped into the 3rd light circuit on our Odyssey then replaced the 7-pin Pollack with a 9-pin as used by truckers. Looks identical to the original except for a couple of extra pins (better ones at that). No electronics involved.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There are wireless options such as these two as well as other units that are designed for mounting on motorcycle helmets. I think you'll need to ensure the replacement bulbs in the kits will fit your trailer.
http://www.motorcyclestuffs.com/servlet/th...ke-Light/Detail
https://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RV8537.html

A disadvantage is the need to replace the four AAA batteries every so often, but I expect the batteries will die due to age before they die due use so perhaps a yearly replacement cycle would suffice.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wireless-Th...sQ5fAccessories
Wireless $16.97
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
So if I wire the 3rd brake light to the left turn/stop it will flash when I have the turn signal on?[b]Yes
Any ideas would be helpful.[b] I forget where i seen it....maybe jc whitney but there are definately third brake lights out there that have the computer chip in it that will eliminate the problem you state of left blinker coming on instead of brake light
ps. there was a red wire and extra bulb in the old tailights that was not used for backup lights (Never installed to work)
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Well, there's no easy way to add a third brake light without some electronics, since otherwise it will flash with the turn signals. One possibility would be to run another wire from your trailer connected to one of your brake lights in your TV. That might work but some vehicles (my Ford Escape is one) don't have enough current to the tail lights to also run a trailer. In that case, you would also have to put in a relay and your 7-pin connector is no longer standard. There's a company here that sells a logic module for connecting a third brake light for $15.95:

http://www.commandelectronics.com/th...ke-lights.html

That would seem to be the simplest way to go.
The logic module is utilized in all large trailers and motorhomes. I had a fifth wheel which utilized this module. I had to replace it once in fourteen years of ownership. It is simple to wire and foolproof in operation. Terry, thanks for the source of these modules.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I was recently working on a utility body on my truck. It had a third brake light above the rear door which was damaged. You will have to add a light with a logic circiut or you can buy a logic circuit and use it with a brake light of your choice. The input wires will be your right and left turn siginal wires. When you have voltage on both input lines at the same time ( as when your brakes are applied) your aux brake light will light. I think J.C. Whitney or E trailer sells these circuits for under $10. The circuit is called an AND gate, you may be able to pick one up from radio shack and make you own adapter.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, there's no easy way to add a [b]third brake light without some electronics, since otherwise it will flash with the turn signals.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIDE_DOOR.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	26915

I have added a 2nd pair of side marker lights to the front corners of my Fiber Stream. The bottom set are the originals, connected to the green running light circuit. The top set are added, connected to the red brake/turn wire on the left, and the brown brake/turn wire on the right.

They flash with the appropriate turn signal (desired) and come on steady when the brakes are applied (not so desirable). Otherwise, they stay off.

Here in the multi-lane street and freeway capitol of the world, I cannot seem to get away from drivers staying in my blind spot, mostly on my left, but occasionally on my right. They like position themselves too far forward to see the turn signals on the trailer, but not forward enough to see the turn signals on the tow vehicle. My 2003 Odyssey [b]does not have side-mounted turn signals on the front fenders or the side mirrors, like so many of the newer cars I see on the road.

[b]Is there a logic circuit that works the other way around?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #13

Frederick, How do your regular trailer brake/turn signal lights work? Its hard to answer your question without knowing how your trailer is wired. Are you using the standard 7-pin connector?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Are you using the standard 7-pin connector?
I am using the standard 7-pin connector, and I am using all 7 pins:
  1. White = Common Ground
  2. [b]Blue = Electric Brake Drums
  3. [b]Green = Tail/Running Lights (dim filament in #1157, bottom bulb) + bottom front/rear side markers
  4. [b]Black = Battery Charge Line
  5. [b]Red = Left Turn/Stop (bright filament in #1157, bottom bulb) + top left (front only) side marker
  6. [b]Brown = Right Turn/Stop (bright filament in #1157, bottom bulb) + top right (front only) side marker
  7. [b]Yellow = Back-Up Lights (#1156, top bulb)
Attached Thumbnails
Tail_Light_Closed.jpg   Tail_Light_Opened.jpg  

7_pin_pigtail.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Changing the Scamps tailights over to LEDS so they will give me better visibility. Also plan on installing a 3rd brake light but do not know how to wire in the 3rd light.
The plug in for the trailer is a 7 blade.
The center pin is not used but the others are-
BLACK - battery charging
BROWN- right turn/stop
BLUE- electic brakes
WHITE-ground
RED- left turn/stop
GREEN-tail/ run lights

So if I wire the 3rd brake light to the left turn/stop it will flash when I have the turn signal on?
Any ideas would be helpful.
Maybe you might consider an extra pair of lights, one on either side of the window up high. this allows tailgating or city traffic trucks to see brake tail and turn signal lighting.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #16

Frederick, I'm still wondering if your regular trailer brake/turn lights act as you describe or if it's only the two higher lights you added. If your regular trailer lights stay steady when you're braking and turning at the same time, then your TV is wired wrong. If this doesn't help, I'm sending you a PM with my phone number. Feel free to call me and I'll do what I can to help.

Terry
Old 04-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
If you have a blue wire for trailer brakes? just wire the third brake light to it.
When you step on the brakes it puts 12v to brakes. Run one side of light to blue and other to ground.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, tail lights